Rifle building questions.

But I don't want to have to change my barrel every 3000 rounds,either... Really, I'm deciding between 308 and 260...
--TK

TK,
3000 rounds is a lot of shooting. I shot a 7mmRemMag barrel out in about 3-4 years and best count was 1200-1300 rounds. 95 % of those were max or slightly above max loads.
If you get a 308, there's a greater chance you'll never shoot the barrel out because you will not be able to afford the ammo, at least not in your current situation.
If the barrel life is 3000 rounds, in order to shoot that barrel out in 3 years, you're looking at approx 83 rounds a month, or 4 boxes of WalMart ammo at $25, or $100 a month. So I would say that is the least of your concerns.
Not trying to discourage you just trying to be realistic.
I'd be looking for a used Savage 10 in .308, heavy barrel preferably. I wouldn't consider a .243 Win., as barrel life will be shorter, .260Rem will be a little better, again, not as good as a .308.
Checkout Cheaper Than Dirt for discounts on ammo. Look for used reloading equpment (i.e. press, dies, scales, calipers, etc.) and save your brass!
Good luck in your endeavour and I hope your enthusiasm remains high. :) JohnnyK.

I really agree with JohnnyK. Most rifles never actually see 3000 rounds. A lot, never even see close to 1500. The majority of people either don't have the time, or the money to burn up a barrel.
Another thing- if you go with a savage with the Accustock, you'll most likely have a very accurate factory rifle, with a full aluminum chassis stock.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.