carbon wrapped barrels??????

i have a 338 Edge with a Christensen barrel on it. it will shot 1/4" all day long with its perfered load. the gun weighs in at just over 10lbs with scope and bipod on, has 30" bbl also. great gun, i love it. huntinfool18

i have a 338 Edge with a Christensen barrel on it. it will shot 1/4" all day long with its perfered load. the gun weighs in at just over 10lbs with scope and bipod on, has 30" bbl also. great gun, i love it. huntinfool18

Just curious, how much was the barrel? I think they quoted me for a 26"...but my next project will probably be a 30".

Thanks

:eek: Holy cow , $1000 for a 28" barrel !!!! :eek:

What does a Christain arms barrel weigh compaired to the ABS and what barrels do they offer other than Shilen?

I currently hunt with a Christensen Arms Remington TI action in 300 Ultra and it will shoot .5 all day long if I do my part. It is the bet rifle as far as weight to accuracy I have ever used. But it is a hunting rifle not a 15 pound rifle that is a bear to carry. At about 8 pounds with a leupold LR scope talley rings bases harris bipod and HS detach mag box fully loaded, I will never buy any other type of rifle again. They are great give them a try you will NOT be disapointed.

I currently hunt with a Christensen Arms Remington TI action in 300 Ultra and it will shoot .5 all day long if I do my part. It is the bet rifle as far as weight to accuracy I have ever used. But it is a hunting rifle not a 15 pound rifle that is a bear to carry. At about 8 pounds with a leupold long range scope talley rings bases harris bipod and HS detach mag box fully loaded, I will never buy any other type of rifle again. They are great give them a try you will NOT be disapointed.

Joelbiltz,
Not to be a killjoy here but your satisfaction with this company is rare among their buyers. And the few that like them simply don't know what they could have had for less money and better quality elsewhere. I respect your opinion and don't disagree with your right to post your feelings at all but I think it is important to educate prospective buyers that your experience with them is far from norm.

I live very close to them and I am plugged into the local shooting community as much as anyone could be and I can tell you that people are getting ripped off by Christensen. No offense to huntinfool18 intended. He has probably helped them out immensely but the bottom line is that quantity is their aim, not quality. I also warned him about the mentality of the owners before he took the job there too. They have had several decent machinists but when they took the time to do things right, they got fired because orders were being backed up. Quality takes time. Period.

My experience with them comes from first hand, hands on experience with dozens and dozens of them. Not by rumor or third hand stories mind you.
Last week, I fired a Carbon one hunter in 270 wsm that had such an oversized chamber, it left about a .020" bellyout on the web of the case! To reload the brass for this gun, a small base die is going to be a must! This is just one example of recent memory and is totally unexcusable for a "custom" rifle.

Sorry for my bluntness but I thought it was necessary to present the other side of the story for people's protection. I don't much try to sugar coat things or be politically correct anymore. I figure the straight scoop is easier!

I have a Browning A-Bolt that was rebarreled and accurized by Christensen Arms several years ago.

240 weatherby mag with 2 1/2# trigger w/ 26" select match grade SS Shilen bull barrel. It consistently shoots 1/4" and smaller groups at 100 meters when I do my part. It has dropped every thing I used it on within 10 yds everytime thus far using 107gr SMKs. It weighs in a 9.2#s with a Nikon Monarch X tactical scope, sling, a full magazine and 10 rounds strapped to the stock. :)

It is my preferred deer gun ...
I like the weight and balance of a gun with a wrapped barrel so much that I am getting ready to have 2 barrels: krieger and Bartlein carbon wrapped by ABS.

I took these barrels off from 2 recent customs that I had built for me -- just too dang heavy.

As I get older, my take is that a rifle is sort of useless for long range hunting if you can't carry it very far ... a carbon barrel gives me the ability to have long range accuracy and not have to break my back carrying it.

Lugging the extra weight may be macho for you young guys, but me ... these days, I want to be able to breath when I take my shot. :D

I like mine, 30-378. I bought a used accumark and got christensen to put a new barrel, accurized the action, taflon coat it free float barrel, timney trigger, titauim brake, gun wieghs just under 10lbs with scope sling, ammo carrier on stock with 2 180 gr accubonds and it shoots 1/2'' at 100 with FACTORY ammo:) It ran me about $2,900.00 outside of the scope and mounts

ABS barrels - don't waste your time or money.

I asked and paid for two barrels to be wrapped. Paid the money up front with the promise of a 21 day turn-around. I had to fight with Mr. D to get my barrels back in 3 1/2 months. He wouldn't answer calls or emails - I couldn't even find out if he was still in business because his answering service was turned off.

Had to contact a lawyer in his city/state and threaten legal action before I got my barrels back. Neither had the titanium brake paid for and promised - they were returned w/ stainless brakes. One was a Kreiger chambered in 300 WSM - it was ruined and had to be scraped. The other is a Bartlein gain twist in 6mm. It won't shoot 1" groups on its best day.

Try to get Todd Bettin to do a carbon wrapped barrel - He does mostly builds. At least with him, you will get something back in a timely manner that will shoot as promised and will be what you ordered.

:)

ABS barrels - don't waste your time or money.

I asked and paid for two barrels to be wrapped. Paid the money up front with the promise of a 21 day turn-around. I had to fight with Mr. D to get my barrels back in 3 1/2 months. He wouldn't answer calls or emails - I couldn't even find out if he was still in business because his answering service was turned off.

Had to contact a lawyer in his city/state and threaten legal action before I got my barrels back. Neither had the titanium brake paid for and promised - they were returned w/ stainless brakes. One was a Kreiger chambered in 300 WSM - it was ruined and had to be scraped. The other is a Bartlein gain twist in 6mm. It won't shoot 1" groups on its best day.

Try to get Todd Bettin to do a carbon wrapped barrel - He does mostly builds. At least with him, you will get something back in a timely manner that will shoot as promised and will be what you ordered.

:)

Sorry to hear about your bad experience.

Proof Research has bought the patents that Mike Degerness leased to ABS. Proof Research is a completely different animal from ABS and we make things happen in a timely and efficient manner!

proofresearch.com

Proof Research makes the finest, most accurate carbon fiber wrapped barrels.

We use Rock and Satern barrel blanks pre-contoured to our specs. These barrels get wrapped and shipped as fast as we get them in and a "typical" turn-around time from original order to shipment to customer is averaging about 1 month or so.

No more BS, song and dance, or drama! You place an order and we make it happen. It's as simple as that.

Call Proof Research at 406-756-9290 for questions or ordering.

*Camp Perry is in full swing so right now we can't get any barrel blanks. When things settle down after Perry, we should be back to normal very quickly!

I had a good experience with Rock Creek. I was in need of a 308 barrel and Mike Rock already had one and I got it immediately. It is extremely accurate, light, and doesn,t heat up.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.