Choosing Dies

Firecat

I have recently purchased a Sendero in 300 Rum and am gearing up to take it to 1000 yrds. If you were buying dies for this round and did not currently own any, Which ones would you buy and why. I will be buying new brass either Remington or Nosler unfired.

Hard to beat the Redding products. A three die set will give you pleanty of options.

I suggest a Redding or RCBS full length sizing die with a neck bushing sized at 2 or 3 thousandths smaller than a loaded round's neck diameter. The most consistantly accurate ammo I know of is made with these types of dies. Most any seater will work as fired cases sized with these typically have the straightest necks.

Get a case headspace gage, too, so you can set the die in your press to size fired case shoulders back only 1 to 2 thousandths of an inch.

Sierra Bullets uses Redding full bushing dies for all cases used to test their bullets for accuracy in calibers they're made for. Other caliber rifle bullets' cases get resized with standard full length sizing dies. I doubt anybody shoots their bullets more accurate than they do, but those that equal it use full length sizing dies without expander balls. With a good lot of 30 caliber match bullets, Sierra and others get about 1/4th MOA at 200 yards.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.