Help Choosing Powders

Jud96

I have come near the ending of load development in my .300 Win Mag and have narrowed my powders down to IMR 7828ssc and H4831. Both are within 10fps of each other and I am getting an ES of 11 and a SD of 4 with the 7828 load and an ES of 24 with a SD of 9 with the H4831 load. Accuracy goes to the IMR 7828 as well and pressure signs looks very much the same. The only thing holding me back from continuing with the IMR 7828 is that it's not known as an "extreme" or temp stable powder. The H4831 is very consistent across a wide range of temperatures and if I had more of it left I would fine tune my loads by .1 or .2 tenths of a grain to tighten up both accuracy and ES. Where I live it can be 10-35 degrees during deer season and in the 90s like its been this summer, and now is when I do a lot of practice and long range shooting.

I am going to order an 8lb keg of powder and cannot decide for the life of me whether to stick with the IMR 7828 and risk the possibility of temperature instability, or buy 8lbs of H4831 and roll with that. The 7828 is shooting under 1/2 MOA with 5 shots and the H4831 is around .75 MOA. I know if I test 4831 on a better day without as much mirage, the groups will shrink, and tinkering with the charges some will also lower the ES. I am caught in a dilemma and can't make up my mind. Any help or suggestions are appreciated, thanks guys.

The difference between .5 and .75 MOA is not discernible in the field - I would go with H4831.

Have you tested the 7828 in cooler temps? Did you need to add a little powder to get the same velocity/accuracy?

I ask because I have some loaded with RE17 and I have found with the lighter bullets I need a summer and winter load to achieve the velocity/accuracy. It is better with the heavier bullets though.

Not sure I like the inconsistency in temp swings. I think I am going to give the H4350 a go again in the 30-06 when the RE17 is gone, I guess velocity isn't everything.

I can't help you answer that question, but I was wondering what bullet you're using?
I was using a 208gr Hornady A-MAX. With H4831 I am getting 2890fps and with IMR 7828ssc I'm getting 2900fps. These are not very hot loads but the accuracy is good and I'm happy with this. I am leaning towards H4831 though. I'm just using the 208s for load development then switching to 200gr ELD-Xs. I am going to stick with the same powder charge with 200s.

Put a handful of each load in a cooler with dry ice and shoot them cold and see if you get winner!

You know which one I'm gonna recommend... :D

You might have to have 2 loads for it...One for summer, one for winter. Most powders I have shot in the hottest temps here in Alabama (which get pretty **** ridiculous during June/July/August), need some tweaking during wintertime.

Just my thoughts.

You know which one I'm gonna recommend... :D

You might have to have 2 loads for it...One for summer, one for winter. Most powders I have shot in the hottest temps here in Alabama (which get pretty **** ridiculous during June/July/August), need some tweaking during wintertime.

Just my thoughts.
Haha yeah I know! I would like to have one load and not have to worry about it. I worked my loads up in summer so they're never too hot no matter the temperature. I just worry I'll see a big variance in velocity during deer season when the shots count. The H4831 makes me comfortable knowing it won't change dramatically from 20-90 degrees but it didn't shoot as well or consistent. I figure with a few loads in .1 increments I could find a good node with 4831 but with 7828 I'm already set... decisions lol

Haha yeah I know! I would like to have one load and not have to worry about it. I worked my loads up in summer so they're never too hot no matter the temperature. I just worry I'll see a big variance in velocity during deer season when the shots count. The H4831 makes me comfortable knowing it won't change dramatically from 20-90 degrees but it didn't shoot as well or consistent. I figure with a few loads in .1 increments I could find a good node with 4831 but with 7828 I'm already set... decisions lol

There's only one way to find out man... You got to test your summertime loads during wintertime. That's what I did. I don't get to hunt as much as I'd like, so I spend most of the winter doing my load development. Also, during deer season, the range is pretty much clear of all the yuppies who are sitting in a deer stand while I'm sitting at the bench doing my testing. Plus, if my loads are developed the time of year that I will be hunting with them, then they have a better chance of staying consistent when I'm in the woods.

I'd probably take in to consideration if one of the powders is more available. Easier to get your hands on. Or possibly you figure that 8 lbs is all you will ever need. Believe you advised you are going to change bullets. Maybe these 2 bullets act the same, I don't know as I've never used either. But you might want to try them before you decide on the powder? Good luck

I use the 7828 in my 6.5x284 and above 90F I get a heavy bolt lift. I worked up the load in the mid 70F's and it was the high node on my ladder. I have not chrono'd it hot so I don't know how much the velocity changes but it certainly does increase pressure. I have been thinking of trying IMR7977 or H1000 which are known to be temp stabile.

I use the 7828 in my 6.5x284 and above 90F I get a heavy bolt lift. I worked up the load in the mid 70F's and it was the high node on my ladder. I have not chrono'd it hot so I don't know how much the velocity changes but it certainly does increase pressure. I have been thinking of trying IMR7977 or H1000 which are known to be temp stabile.

I tried a few different loads with IMR 7977 and the accuracy sucked and it was not consistent at all, my ES was like 60 and I couldn't get it much better so I stopped using it. I think I am leaning towards the 7828 but I am going to do more research about its temp stability. If it only changes 30-40fps from 30-90 then that is fine, but If its over that I am going with H-4831.

Last edited:
I was using a 208gr Hornady A-MAX. With H4831 I am getting 2890fps and with IMR 7828ssc I'm getting 2900fps. These are not very hot loads but the accuracy is good and I'm happy with this. I am leaning towards H4831 though. I'm just using the 208s for load development then switching to 200gr ELD-Xs. I am going to stick with the same powder charge with 200s.
Why don't you try working up a load for the eld-x if that is the bullet you are planning on using in the end. Might be that 4831 is the better powder for that particular bullet. Trying H-1000 is worth a shot as mentioned above.

Why don't you try working up a load for the eld-x if that is the bullet you are planning on using in the end. Might be that 4831 is the better powder for that particular bullet. Trying H-1000 is worth a shot as mentioned above.

Yeah I'll probably do that. I think finding the particular powder charge the rifle likes is the hardest part, changing to a similar bullet that is 8gr lighter hopefully won't change much. Either way I will probably end up in the same place as I am now haha. Both powders have pros and cons, but I am leaning towards 7828 because I can use it in everything and it's readily available in my area all the time. I will do some tests to see how stable it is in the cooler temperatures.

I am thinking about putting some rounds in a zip lock bag in a cooler of ice and shooting them through the chronograph. I literally have like 300 grains of H-4831 left and then I am out, so my testing is about over unless I can find a pound locally to continue testing.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts