Check out this mistake

Since we know everyone is ok how is your annealer? If in an AMP being down in the machine it could cost more than a new set of shorts😲🤬😢
Mine was home made cake pan style that drops in tin foil tray. When primer went off it did blow my torch out. Took me a minute to figure out what happened. At first I thought maybe it was the torch then I looked in pan n thought you dumb***

I jammed up my hand priming tool, removed the tray, that was full by the way, and as soon as I tried to clear the jam...BOOM!
There were 3 primers that went off, all FED215's. I had ringing ears for at least 3 days!
Can't imagine if the whole tray went BOOM.

Cheers.

I really liked my hand primer, then I started reading about the problem/possibility with igniting all of the primers in the tray and decided to go to another system before it happened to me. Glad you are alright and now I feel better about my decision before it happened to me.

Primers are no joke and as you found out, very powerful. We take many things for granted and this is a good example of how dangerous reloading can be if every safety procedure is not used. Don't know how bad 100 primers could be and don't want to know.

Thanks for posting M

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
Glad your OK.
For what it's worth:
All of my brass prep is done using ammo boxes. Cases go in and out for each step, always head up. This way I can see where I am in the process. And, as Aushunter1 said, once primed they go to live ammo side of the bench. It does take more ammo boxes, but by using different colored ones (per cartridge), it is easy to keep things sorted and straight.
Also, if you use the AMP annealer, you see the head before it goes into the machine.

I love my hand primer. Old Lee. One primer at a time.
DItto. I only use the old single primer Lee for priming rifles. Slow I know but I believe I can control the seating depth better. Handguns I just use the Dillon with the stacked primer tube. Never had an accident.
Having said that, remember the OLD Lee Handloading kits? I started out with them about 50 years ago. Still have them. When I was using them I did have a few primers go off, happily the tool encloses the primer and the only result is that my spouse and I almost dirtied our shorts. Used to reload in the kitchen at that time LOL.

Last edited:
This is the one that I now use and feel it is safe and has the feel I want.

The primer tube moves out of the line of fire Automatically so if the primer ignites the rest are out of harms way and safe. Even though most presses are equipped with a priming feature, they have so much power and lack of feel I prefer to prime in a different operation, even with the auto prime progressive presses. There record has been very good, but it only takes one mishap to ruin your whole day.

If I went back to a hand priming tool it would be one without a magazine for a one primer at a time
procedure. The only down side of this is time and handling the primers.

Just Me

J E CUSTOM

The primer tube moves out of the line of fire Automatically so if the primer ignites the rest are out of harms way and safe. Even though most presses are equipped with a priming feature, they have so much power and lack of feel I prefer to prime in a different operation, even with the auto prime progressive presses. There record has been very good, but it only takes one mishap to ruin your whole day.

If I went back to a hand priming tool it would be one without a magazine for a one primer at a time

Just Me

J E CUSTOM
I will second your choice. I bought the Holland version so I can control primer depth. Extremely safe extremely consistent and a great alternative.

Just Me

J E CUSTOM
Same one I use.

Just Me

J E CUSTOM
I bought one last year . Love it. And its quick . Yes. Need to figure a way to get primers to came out of box all facing down. Popping them in tube is easy enough .
Glad your ok Rilow. I've had a couple primer mishaps also. I"ve also twice vacumed up and had go off while bouncing around the brush....

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.