Chassis for ELR Build

HoytSniper60x

I am embarking on my first rifle build using a chassis. I will be honest...I am green when it comes to them and am looking for insight. What will give me the repeatability and reliability needed for an ELR rifle 1500-2000+? I've been intrigued by the Masterpiece Arms, Mega Arms, MDT, Cadex, and XLR platforms. I'm sure there are better and many more options, but these are just a few I have looked at. What are you thoughts on them and others? and most importantly...WHY?
Thanks!

Hello,

First decision in regards to deciding on a chassis system is to determine what receiver you are going to utilize, because not all the chassis mfg make chassis to fit every receiver choice.

What receiver are you going to use?

THEIS

I've narrowed it down between the Defiance Deviant Tactical or Hunter so I should be fine with any system that accepts Rem 700 or Defiance actions.

I suppose it is also important, and probably obvious, to note that I am not looking for a chassis with a full length rail system since I plan on using the rail supplied with the action.

I'm currently shooting a Masterpiece Arms chassis. It's the only chassis I've ever owned. I like it a lot better then my B&C A2 and McMillan A2. I looked at all the brands you mentioned at PRS shoots and chose the MPA for me. I like the features you get for your $ and the way it handles and feels.

Don Dunlap

Personally I prefer the MDT TAC 21 chassis for my Rem. actioned HS Precision .300 Win mag.

The British made Accuracy International goes on a lot of US made custom barreled actions. It is THE most popular high end chassis right now for Rem. actioned rifles.

There are several other good chassis makers out there.

Go to "PRECISION RIFLE BLOG" and see what the pros are using for PRS competition. You may pick up some good ideas there.

Eric B.

I run an XLR on my Armalite 50bmg, so far it's been an awesome chassis. A few minor changes here and there for ergonomics and my setup but that's standard with any stock. I also built a bipod that utilizes the tubular forearm. The whole deal is rock solid.

snox,

If you got that Canadian made CADEX chassis you'd soon discover that they make the tubular forearm too fat, thus causing the rail to be WAY too high, thus causing you to have to raise your cheekpiece way too high. Awkward.

Look at the US Army's XM2010 CADEX chassis for the Rem. 300 Win mag action and you'll see what I mean. There are chassis out there that are every bit as good as a CADEX for a lot less money. Do you really want to support the Canadian social system with their high VAT tax?

Eric B.

Do you really want to support the Canadian social system with their high VAT tax?

Eric B.

Hello,

You as the purchaser nor the manufacturer pays Canadian VAT tax on items exported out of Canada.
Tax Compliance for Exporters:
Goods and services that are normally subject to GST or HST may be untaxed when exported from Canada; in this case, they are referred to as "zero-rated" goods or services.

The simplest case is when you deliver your products to a purchaser outside Canada. In this situation, they are automatically zero-rated and you do not charge GST/HST to the purchaser. If you deliver them to a purchaser inside Canada, however, they are zero-rated only if certain conditions are met. A full list of these conditions is available on the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) web site.

Also the normal harmonized tariff schedule tax that US Customs imposes on rifle stocks of 3.5% is waived as duty free due to NAFTA agreements with USA and CA.

THEIS

We invite you to check out the Best **** Gun Modular Chassis. It is a little different from the other's you've looked at in that is lets you do a truly custom build. It doesn't require bedding, as the receiver hits on only a couple points on the chassis.

Our 700 LA chassis was designed for longer bullets up to 3.790 COAL detachable and 3.975 with internal mag & floor plate. You can use any AR mill spec or PRS style stock and pistol grip that you find comfortable. The modular system provides numerous options for readily available hanguards (I.D. greater than 1.5" for a 1.2" barrel).

www.bestdamngun.com

Last edited:
Theis,

I stand corrected. Back in the '90's when I used to shop in Toronto and later in Vancouver I had to pay the taxes in Canada when I bought something there, come the the US and fill out papers to get some of my taxes back.

Good to hear VAT does not apply to direct exports from the manufacturer. But it still does not explain CADEX's high prices.

Eric B.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.