ELR build action help

Coloradomuley

Ok so I have been kicking this around for awhile and now I am gonna bite the bullet and build one. I am pretty settled on a 338 edge throated for 285 ELDMs. The Lapua, Lapua improved, and the 33 XC are all Interesting but start to make the price tag go up in actions brass dies etc. Thinking Heavy Palma barrel 30" finished length. MBM brake and McMillan A5 stock. Here is my question to guys who have been down this road before I will never mag feed this rifle and will have a COAL of nearly 4" so is a single shot action the way to go? I have looked at Kelblys Atlas and a big horn TL3 both available in single shot. I would like to stay rem 700 foot print for convenience of parts and finding stocks etc. Actions with a prefit barrel option would be a plus also. Thanks for any help.

The first question I would ask is what is your end goal of ELR?

What distance?
Competition?
Plinking?
Steel?
Paper for group?;)

The seriousness of your intent will dictate the choices of cartridge, bullet and construction.
Should we assume that you intend to assemble the parts into a rifle?
Have you tested the 285 to be assured that it is THE bullet to accomplish your goals or is this just a choice by reading opinions?

...I will never mag feed this rifle and will have a COAL of nearly 4"...

'Nearly 4 in.' will leave you with just about 0.600" of bullet in the case. Single shot actions are the most common when it comes to competition because they allow for seating bullets out in excess of what magazine allow.

There are better bullet choices for ELR shooting but if you're concerned about cost only instead of performance then the 285 will maybe suffice.

Enjoy!

Steel mostly out to 2000 yards maybe a ELR comp or two. The 285 is mostly due to the cost to feed a 338 if it shot 300 Berger OTMs then that would be the bullet but a 285 would just be at a cheaper price point. I currently own a 338 edge in a hunting set up just wanting something more equipped to reach out further.

I DID NOT RUN any numbers but trying 2k with the 285eld is a stretch.
bullet weight bbl length velocity and bullet quality are going to be issues.
you cannot skimp on bullet quality it never pays off.
i have a 28" edge getting over 2850 with berger 300's with very small vertical.

Look at my Add in the rifle for sale section ..
It has taking me from 1000, 1500, 1760, 2053 , and my personal best of 3027 yrds.
It's a 338 Edge , H-1000 & 300 bergers. It shoots great. I built it for Elr , 2 miles .
Your intended distance of 2000 yrds will be easy if you can do your part . I put the 200 moa. base on to get to my distance of 3027 yrds.
I just took one of my other 338 edge builds out last weekend and smacked a milk jug at 1 mile , 1760 yrds .

Best of luck in your build !

Rum Man

[AND HOW DID IT DO WITH HORNADY 285 ??
QUOTE="Rum Man, post: 1923657, member: 103316"]
Look at my Add in the rifle for sale section ..
It has taking me from 1000, 1500, 1760, 2053 , and my personal best of 3027 yrds.
It's a 338 Edge , H-1000 & 300 bergers. It shoots great. I built it for Elr , 2 miles .
Your intended distance of 2000 yrds will be easy if you can do your part . I put the 200 moa. base on to get to my distance of 3027 yrds.
I just took one of my other 338 edge builds out last weekend and smacked a milk jug at 1 mile , 1760 yrds .

Best of luck in your build !

Rum Man
[/QUOTE]

if budget is on your mind, the new record was just set with a factory Savage 112 Target magnum set in a chassis with trigger replaced. Pretty easy to re-chamber one of those.

how about some FACTS to go with the claim.
not much of a claim if this is the old VERY NARROW factory class shooting.
the target is not much of a factory class rifle, but a expensive target rifle.
it was not shooting against target rifles, only factory rifles.
if budget is on your mind, the new record was just set with a factory Savage 112 Target magnum set in a chassis with trigger replaced. Pretty easy to re-chamber one of those.

Just a few ideas

This is from one who has shot a ton of 338LM, 375s and the 416.
My favorites
300 Norma Mag - Excellent light class 25lb and under rifle that hammers and is simple for all components needed.
Folks shooting the 338 Edge have done very well
The 33XC has done very well and is yet a new system only a few years in the go.
The plain Jane 375 Cheytac can be set up and be under the 25 lb limit easily yet rivals the crowd out to 3500 yard well.

Here is a picture of one of our 375 Improved- Snipetac just under or at 25 lbs that has done well the last couple years at the KO2M.

These as well as others are great choices when wanting to venture into the 1760 to 3000 + fun and events.

Good luck on your new build.

Pictured is the 375 Snipetac

Cheers
Iamosoh
JH
D8684E8D-7955-42B5-AFDB-6E5A89D97E1B.jpeg

how about some FACTS to go with the claim.
not much of a claim if this is the old VERY NARROW factory class shooting.
the target is not much of a factory class rifle, but a expensive target rifle.
it was not shooting against target rifles, only factory rifles.

Not trying to start a ****ing match. OP google it so I don't upset anyone here recommending a Savage as a viable way to have fun at long range without breaking the bank.

go look at the FACTS, not the headlines.
a 1600 plus dollar rifle in a "factory" only class.
no real competition.
local CLUB match.
"fun" is not always competitive.
there is a class in colorado that "TEACHES" 308 WIN shooters to hit at a MILE.
the catch...the target is FIVE FEET BY FIVE FEET.
maybe fun, but not accurate nor competitive.
Not trying to start a ****ing match. OP google it so I don't upset anyone here recommending a Savage as a viable way to have fun at long range without breaking the bank.

none of the savage rifles are viable for over 1000 yards, OTHER THAN THE 338LM, and he does not want an 338lm
6br to 308, with 6.5 cm in the mix.
sorry just a bad recommendation for "OUT TO 2000 YARDS"

YOU need to define your expectations..as in target size hits at 1760 and 2000.
i have built an 300 win mag for 1000 br on the cheap. 700 reciever, chambered a krieger bbl. shot really well at 100/200 as in .31/.32 at 200 with 208/210 bullets.
IT NEVER SHOT SMALL AT 1000 YARDS. dropping the hornady bullets got me under 10" at 1000. but "real" rifles were way under that.
my suggestion is save money and build well the first time.
do not plan on a 285 hornady keeping up with a similar berger bullet.
Ok so I have been kicking this around for awhile and now I am gonna bite the bullet and build one. I am pretty settled on a 338 edge throated for 285 ELDMs. The Lapua, Lapua improved, and the 33 XC are all Interesting but start to make the price tag go up in actions brass dies etc. Thinking Heavy Palma barrel 30" finished length. MBM brake and McMillan A5 stock. Here is my question to guys who have been down this road before I will never mag feed this rifle and will have a COAL of nearly 4" so is a single shot action the way to go? I have looked at Kelblys Atlas and a big horn TL3 both available in single shot. I would like to stay rem 700 foot print for convenience of parts and finding stocks etc. Actions with a prefit barrel option would be a plus also. Thanks for any help.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.