ELR build action help

I don't want to be the bearer of the bad news but 338 caliber is the smallest you can go and you will get hosed at something like king of the two mile "wind" just not a big enough bullet to see hits at ELR distance. I'm not saying out on the back 40 that you can't see it hit and the splash at those distances isn't very big or the dust off the rocks, all things that help you get on target if you miss and when you miss. Obviously there's a guy on here who took it out the 3,027 yd which is bada$$ but to compete with it there's better options they just cost a lot more JJ rock action cost me $2,000. That's so I can build my 416 Barrett improved.

JEY, NOT SO GREAT,
maybe you should read the opening post, then come back.
out to 2000 yards...no mention of 2 miles.
i have shot 300 win mag out to 2000 yards.
nothing wrong with his 338 edge for HIS DISTANCES.

I don't want to be the bearer of the bad news but 338 caliber is the smallest you can go and you will get hosed at something like king of the two mile "wind" just not a big enough bullet to see hits at ELR distance. I'm not saying out on the back 40 that you can't see it hit and the splash at those distances isn't very big or the dust off the rocks, all things that help you get on target if you miss and when you miss. Obviously there's a guy on here who took it out the 3,027 yd which is bada$$ but to compete with it there's better options they just cost a lot more JJ rock action cost me $2,000. That's so I can build my 416 Barrett improved.

JEY, NOT SO GREAT,
maybe you should read the opening post, then come back.
out to 2000 yards...no mention of 2 miles.
i have shot 300 win mag out to 2000 yards.
nothing wrong with his 338 edge for HIS DISTANCES.
Pretty sure it's called evolution we evolve correct? So if we're going to start shooting at distance with bigger bores you'ree going to take a 33XC a 338 edge and only shoot a thousand yards. I doubt it so buy once cry once and go big and evolve. Save yourself some money and play with the big boys. That would be my opinion.

Savage 112 target magnum.

And rsmithsr is wrong on his facts. 7 fingers placed 3rd in that match against full customs and set new world record,after the match switched back to the factory trigger cause it was better in his opinion.

My personal savage 112 target magnum before I rebarreled to 37XC
F3C53188-96CB-494A-B622-60DA41FDD73A.jpeg

Last edited:
A couple cool facts about that day.
Yes he did it with a factory Savage other then the stock and trigger.

If you watch the video - he did it solo - first rounds fired for the day for him as a shooter and you had nobody spotting your impacts or misses for corrections during your three shots.

Winds were variable that day pushing left to right
Theres just a glimpse of me in the group staged behind Randy as he's shooting.

Iamosoh
JH

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.