Changing color of wood stock?

I have a wood stack from ERG that has been dyed green/brown. I dont like the color and would like to return in to natural. Is it possible to bleach out the dye?
If you are looking for a natural wood grain you can strip the finish then use household bleach to lighten the stain. (It may or may not change the color.) Do not sand the wood because you will change the dimensions. Additionally, I would not use acetone or other solvents because it may effect the lamination of the wood. After stripping use an alcohol based stain, apply a lacquer sealer, then apply black wood filler to fill in the pores . The black wood filler will need to be removed with naphtha and a cloth but will cover most of the stock with a very dark color, but the grain will still be showing. Then finish with a tinted lacquer. You can pick almost any color, but Pre-64 Win is Burnt Umber and others use a Light Walnut. You can purchase all of these products at Mohawk Finishes. If you use a tinted lacquer you will still see the wood grain and multiple coats can be applied in one afternoon. The beauty of a lacquer is there is no surface prep between coats.

Tell us more about this rig !
It is a 50 BMG. It is a 2004 build by ERG of WI. Model "Big Bertha". McBros single shot shell holder action with a Walther 36" SS barrel 1-15 twist with under 100 rounds thru it. 42 pounds. Looking for a decently priced scope for target at 3 miles.

Last edited:
I've had a good bit of success using acetone and lacquer thinner. Acetone first, on a good scrub rag. Perhaps several passes. Clean-up with lacquer thinner on a clean rag! Wear rubber gloves, for both are strong chemicals! And ventilate well! After dry, sand with 100, then 240 grit wet/dry paper. Finish as you prefer.