Center Shot Rifles

MN Hunter

This past Saturday I picked up my Remington Sendero 300 win mag from Jim. He had ordered the gun for me - installed his 3 port brake, recut the crown, skim bed, lapped the lugs, karstens cheek piece, trigger job - trigger breaks at just over 2.5#'s, wyatts mag, EGW base and rings, epoxy bed the base and mounted my Zeis Conquest 4.5x14x44 on it.

When I went to his shop I brought my Remington 700 .223 heavy barrel varmet gun with - The trigger was rough and I wanted it cleaned up. Jim measured the trigger - it broke well over 6.5 pounds - he did the trigger work while I was there. Watching him work I could tell the man is a perfectionist - the trigger now breaks just under 3 pounds. He also installed a karstens cheek piece and put a new firing pin assembly in it - one without the jlock.

Back to the Sendero. I was able to get out and shoot it yesterday. I have not had a chance to reload for it yet so I shot some Remington factory ammo. The first loads were 180 grain core-locks. I shot one box - 20 rounds - the best group was right around .75moa. I then shot a box of 180 grain Nosler ballistic tips. The best group was around .50 moa. I cleaned the barrel after every shot with the exception of two - three shot string with each different load that produced the above results.
The one complaint I have is that his muzzle break work so well and the gun shoots so well that I am going to burn up a fortune in ammo. This is the first gun I have shot with a break. The recoil felt like the soft push you get from a muzzle loader with a light load.

I also made one mistake - I let my 20 year old kid shoot the gun. For some reason he now thinks it should be his.
As soon as I can pull the funds together I am going to have Jim build a 30-06 for me.

Once I figure out how - I will post a picture.

Last edited:
I will have to agree that Jim is a perfectionist, I don't think you could sneak something out of his shop until it meets his specs.
I also know how you feel, my son just got a Contender frame and now I'm short one 6.5 tcu barrel and it looks like my Kreiger 6 tcu barrel is headed to be rechambered.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts