Celestron Ultima 80 Spotting Scope

SamSpade

I just purchased a Celestron Ultima 80, 20-60X80 spotting scope. In fact the scope arrived yesterday so I had to take it to the range to try it out this morning. I have one word to describe this spotting scope AWESOME!

I've been shooting for over 40 years and have had a lot of spotting scopes. My favorite that I used for most of those years was a Kowa TSN2 which is a 25X with an 80mm objective. Unfortunately that scope was stolen a couple of years ago. Now that I am semi retired I couldn't afford another Kowa ($800) so I started looking around.

Some I bought and returned and some I used at the riflerange belonging to others. My prime objective was to be able to see .17 caliber holes at 100 yards and 22 holes at 200. I read the review of spotting scopes in sniper country and bought the Bushnell Spacemaster they recommended, it could see the 17 holes but it was a little fuzzy and difficult to focus on them. Unusable were Burris, Simmons, Leupold (several models) and a few others. The best that I found was a Yukon 6-100X100 so I bought it and used it for a year or so. Then I started reading on these forums about people using the Celestron C90s and I tried one at a benchrest match a couple of months ago and it was very good using the 30X and 45X eyepieces. But the C90 is kind of funny looking and looks a little fragile. Then I read about the Celestron Ultima 80 and 100 so I decided to buy the 80. Well it arrived at a cost of $179.95 delivered!!

As stated I took it to the range this morning. It is a bright clear day so don't have an impression of it on an overcast day. Tried it at 50, 100 and 200 yards viewing 17 caliber holes, at all the ranges I could see them clearly and was able to fucus on them very easily even at 60X. Hate to compare it to a Kowa but it sure seems clearer maybe not if they were side by side but..... This thing is bright clear, a third of a turn moves from 20-60X, easily focused, to me unbelievable. It is rather large and heavy but I don't care about that and the construction and quality is very good to excellent. It is the best spotting scope that I have ever looked through and I have seen a bunch. The only negative is that it is not waterproof but it comes with a nice protective vinyl case. The Celestron Ultima 100 or their ED version must be out of this world!!

http://www.astronomics.com/main/pro...roduct_id/CU80S
normal_Celestron1.jpg

Thanks for the excellent review. I've been looking for a spotting scope that wouldn't break the bank. I just ordered two (one is back ordered).

Thanks again for the review. My nephew has been looking for a spotting scope for over a year. He's tested many of them. I ordered two (one for him and one for me). They arrived yesterday. He called me delighted, telling me it was better than any of the units he tested. He said he could see buildings at the U of U campus from across the valley. He gives it an A+ rating.

Reviews like this really make this forum exceptional. I owe you a 6 pack of your favorite beverage.

I have one and love it, I compared it to my Burris landmark and the C80 blows it away.

[ QUOTE ]
"I owe you a 6 pack of your favorite beverage."

[/ QUOTE ]
I will remember that if I ever get out your way! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
<font color="purple"> Anyone know any place else to get these? They are all on back order at the above link. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

I ordered two a few weeks ago. First order was OK, 2nd was back-ordered. They both came the same day (3 days after ordering no less) (one went to UTar for my nephew, the other to me). I'm guessing they get them in pretty fast, altho I might have been lucky.
My nephew keeps raving about the scope. I love mine too but I'm not qualified to rate it or make comparisons.

Glad you got them ok. I worry about back order stuff after I got screwed once. I was mistaken about the optics planet order I looked at optics planet but found it cheaper at scopetronics so that is where I ordered from. I'll let you know how she does when I get it. Keep us posted on your experience with the scope.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.