Spotting scope recommendation

aramarine6

I'm in the market for a spotting scope, preferably under $500. I don't need it to see small holes in paper at 600+ yards. However I'd like a spotter that can pick up impacts on steel past 1000 yards and pick up bullet trace even if the weather is not perfect. I know there are a ton of choices out there. I'd like input on what you use and approximately what you paid for it. Thanks!

For what you describe, I have a Tasco 'world class' 25x spotting scope that I paid $50 for that will do the job (in good conditions).

Most of the guys I shoot with though use Leupold MK4s (~$1200+)

I have a B&L that I picked up for $500. 15-45x65. it works well. I wanted to see bullet holes at 600 yards and its takes a nice day to see a hole in white paper at that range.

I'm currently using a Vortex Viper HD, which is awesome, but outside the price range you mentioned.

You can get into the Vortex Viper series for $350 to $500. They are really nice in my opinion, and the warranties are awesome. Lifetime, no fault warranty.

After a brutal hailstorm and monsoon the eyepiece was full of moisture. Sent it back and it was replaced, with absolutely no hassle. Got the replacement within 2 weeks.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.