Caved in to the craving for a 6.5 Grendel.

I got my scope all mounted up today. I used a Burris ARpepr 1 piece extended scope mount 30mm to mount my Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 30mm tube scope. Torqued everything down like the instructions said and then did my old fashion bore sighting. Look through the barrel at a spot on the wall across the room and adjust the scope to the spot. Discovered that I did not have enough adjustment so I had to unscrew the 12 screws that are on the rings and place some shims I made out of aluminum flashing material under the rear ring. I used three thicknesses. Replaced the scope and leveled everything once again and screw and torqued the ring screws back down. It then adjusted to my spot on the wall but not sure I shimmed enough. I will find out once I get to the range and see where I am shooting and how much adjustment I will have left.

Thanks Dave. I did not think about how high off the bore that mount is. I will leave the shims in and go to the range and see what happens. I may have to take them out.

I got my scope all mounted up today. I used a Burris ARpepr 1 piece extended scope mount 30mm to mount my Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 30mm tube scope. Torqued everything down like the instructions said and then did my old fashion bore sighting. Look through the barrel at a spot on the wall across the room and adjust the scope to the spot. Discovered that I did not have enough adjustment so I had to unscrew the 12 screws that are on the rings and place some shims I made out of aluminum flashing material under the rear ring. I used three thicknesses. Replaced the scope and leveled everything once again and screw and torqued the ring screws back down. It then adjusted to my spot on the wall but not sure I shimmed enough. I will find out once I get to the range and see where I am shooting and how much adjustment I will have left.
Thanks Dave. I did not think about how high off the bore that mount is. I will leave the shims in and go to the range and see what happens. I may have to take them out.
you should probably go ahead and take them out. Bore sight at 100 yds. Old fashioned way. No way you should be short on elevation with that scope/mount combo.

Went to the range today. Right now I will have almost all of the elevation adjustment available on my scope with the shims left on. That is the good news. The bad news is right now with factory Hornady 123 SST ammo I have a 6.5 Grendel SHOTGUN. I am a very experienced rifle shot so it is not me. Right now average 5 shot groups at 100 yards are 5 INCHES. It is almost like every shot is a flyer. One above where you aim the next to the right the next maybe to the left then the next below. I cleaned the bore really well before I went to the range. Man that Wolf ammo that they tested the upper with is DIRTY. I put 29 rounds down the bore today. I came home and really cleaned the bore again. I got quite a bit of jacket flecks out of the bore and a little bit of blue when I used shooter choice copper remover. I hope it is just that this rifle does not like this factory ammo or it just needs shooting to come in.

From reading over on the Grendel forum I have decided to call BCA tomorrow and see about sending this upper back and having them fix the problem or give me my money back.

From reading over on the Grendel forum I have decided to call BCA tomorrow and see about sending this upper back and having them fix the problem or give me my money back.
Send it back and get you an Aero Precision upper. Aero builds alot of upper & lower aluminum parts for Rainier Arms (not barrels), and their parts are high-quality. From what I've heard, the Aero barrels are pretty nice. I'd give them a look, if you get a refund. For the money, it would be hard to beat.

https://aeroprecisionusa.com/m4e1-enhanced-complete-upper-20-6-5-grendel-ss-barrel.html

65grendel.com has much more specifics about your Grendel. Ballistic Advantage is a subsidiary of AeroPrecision and makes the barrels.
I would go back and remount the scope, but first, try some iron sights before you can farther. You were shimming and not knowing why or if you needed to, plus the specifics are vague. I never had to shim anything when I mounted an AR platform with a AR platform scope mount. What are your toque specs for the rings and base? Shimming unsymmetrical and/or not using a toque wrench and/or over torquing could have left the scope tube.....

I cleaned the bore good. I went back and re-mounted the scope completely. Removed the shims and torqued the Burris base to 60 inch pounds and ring screws to 20 inch pounds like the instructions say. I went back to the range and fired 3 shots at 25 yards to get on paper and then went to 100 yards. I fired from a front press with rear bag on a solid benchrest set up. I fired the first shot and it was on the target so I did not adjust any but just wanted to see if it would group. SAME OLD 5" GROUP. Sent BCA a fax of my invoice from Primary Arms that they requested when I called them last Friday 3-2-18 and they said that they would send me a UPS pick up ticket. I have not gotten the ticket yet. After the mail runs today if the pick up ticket does not come I will be calling BCA again. I am really getting PO'd with BCA. By the way I was firing the upper using my Bushmaster lower that has a 3 lb CMC trigger in it. After I shot this Grendel I took my beater AR 223 Anderson lower with military 6lb trigger and Stoner A4 upper that has a cheap weaver 3-9x32 scope on it and fired a 7/8" 5 shot group at 100 testing a new load with 55 gr Hornady sp with RL7 powder so it AIN'T the problem with the shooter it is the BCA upper. I suspect the crown on the barrel is screwed up.

123 sst give me great groups. A nickel covers the group at 200. But they are blowing up a little soon for me. Ill still use them on coyote and such but gonna test some others soon to see if I can get the same accuracy with more of a controlled expansion for pigs deer and others.

I did not get the pick up ticket from BCA today so I call AGAIN. Was told that the person in charge of warranty stuff has been sick and is supposed to be back to work tomorrow and is supposed to call me tomorrow. We will see.

I did not get the pick up ticket from BCA today so I call AGAIN. Was told that the person in charge of warranty stuff has been sick and is supposed to be back to work tomorrow and is supposed to call me tomorrow. We will see.
People get sick, but that's no excuse to not keep you updated. Sounds like some crappy customer service to me. You might be better off sending it back and building your own. I built mine from scratch...Built it the way I wanted, too. It **** sure wasn't cheap by any means because I didn't go the inexpensive route on anything...But I love it!

I had a problem with a shilen barreled Grendel awhile back like what your going through. I would take the bolt out of the bcg and get a new bcg and put the bolt in the new bcg and then retest it. Mine went from 4 inch groups to around .75 to 1.15 inch groups at 100. Also i may catch flak over it but I've shot benchrest for a lot of years and no one uses hornady bullets. I use the 130 grain Berger tac bullets or 123gr sms bullets. H332 and xbr work well for me. I've heard some people like cfe 223 also. Just buy a box of hornady eld, berger vld, and sierra matchking bullets and then weigh them all. I would love to shoot hornady stuff as I have toured their plant that is only 2 hours from me but their bullets just don't stack up for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.