Any 6.5 Grendel shooters in the forum?

65 GRENDEL

Hey everybody. I thought id start a new thread on my preferred long range rifle to introduce myself. The 6.5 Grendel. I have 2, one is 24" SS J & T Distributor upper on a DPMs lower and a 20" same version. The 24" is a dedicated long distance gun while the 20" I built specifically to deer hunt this year. Im also interested in the 6.5 Creedmore if anybody would like to enlighten me on the pros and cons, any particular model etc.....? gun)

You can tell me about your 6.5 Grendels if you don't mind. Loads, speeds, kills etc.

I just traded for an Alexander Arms GSR grendel. Need to order a scope and reloading components though. Seems to be a great round from everything I've read.

Been looking at them for several months. Looking at a used one local Grendel Entry 20", and then I learned about the JSE surplus selling the Overwatch 24" fro $750.

I have one with a 20" Satern barrel on it. It shoots in the 1/2 to 3/4 MOA range. I mainly use it as my coyote gun and man does it anchor them hard! I have a muzzle brake on it and the thing doesn't even move when I shoot it. Its pretty sweet to be able to see the coyote drop like a sack of rocks after you pull the trigger.

I use the 100 and 120 gr Nosler ballistic tips. With the 120 gr NB I use 30.5 gr of H335.

With the 100 gr NB I use 29.5 gr of H322. While the 100 gr load goes a bit faster, I am probably going to switch to the 120 gr for the wind and down range energy that it produces. I am really going to start working with it out at around 700 yards so I can shoot coyotes off of dead cows.

It really is an awesome little cartridge. Easy to load and fun to shoot.

I was beginning to think I was the only one. This is a long range or short range cartridge. Ive shot deer as close as 75 yards to 425 yards and its a deadly deer gun (coyotes to). I would recommend it to all the AR guys and gals out there. Mine are bull barreled and i shoot the Hornady Amax 123 gr. The round is still supersonic out past 1200 yards from all the research data ive read, not that Ive shot that far, yet.

What kind of velocities are you guys getting with your 123 Amax loads. I ordered a 18" barrel from Alexander Arms at the beginning of June and finally received it 3 weeks ago so I probably wont work up anything till after deer season. I do like the fact that it will give really good ballistics and you can use it on a ar15 platform vs. a heavier ar10.

What kind of velocities are you guys getting with your 123 Amax loads. I ordered a 18" barrel from Alexander Arms at the beginning of June and finally received it 3 weeks ago so I probably wont work up anything till after deer season. I do like the fact that it will give really good ballistics and you can use it on a ar15 platform vs. a heavier ar10.

I dont have a chronograph so im not really positive but the Hornady website said I should be about 2620 fps from my 20" bull barrel, theyre usually one of the more truthful companies on performance (at least thats what ive read.) I started to go with AA as well but ive dealt with J & T distributors before and was very happy before and im still happy. Very good upper on a grat AR 15 platform. My guns a little heavier because of the bull barrel but its still lighter then your standard AR 10 .308.

You can tell me about your 6.5 Grendels if you don't mind. Loads, speeds, kills etc.

Like i said in an earlier post I should be about 2620 fps, i've only shot 123 gr Amax through both my guns (I have a preference for Hornady Amax and SST ammo). This particular rifle ive shot 1 coyote about 135 yards, 2 x 8 point bucks both about 150 yards with complete pass throughs on both, 3 does one of which was about 425 yards. In all actuality this gun shines better past 300 yards as far as wounding channels. The 123 gr Amax is outstanding on light skinned game!gun)

I shoot the factory Amax out of my 18" AA barrel. I believe I get 2580 fps, I need to chrony again as I didn't transfer notes from target to spreadsheet. I also shoot the 100gr Bergers and get 2700 with my reloads, using 29.3 grains of X-Terminator. Could be pushed harder but does well for what I'm doing.

I did order a Saturn 18" barrel two moths ago, wasn't happy with groups as we extended the range to 300 yards. Hope to get before March, going on a hog hunt. This is the rifle I plan on using!

Hey everybody. I thought id start a new thread on my preferred long range rifle to introduce myself. The 6.5 Grendel. I have 2, one is 24" SS J & T Distributor upper on a DPMs lower and a 20" same version. The 24" is a dedicated long distance gun while the 20" I built specifically to deer hunt this year. Im also interested in the 6.5 Creedmore if anybody would like to enlighten me on the pros and cons, any particular model etc.....? gun)

I'd like to hear more about the Creedmore as well

I've been catching bits and pieces about the Creedmore. Better BC bullets helping out down range, with wind, and beating out the .308s at and past 1000yds.

I just picked up a POF in 308, I'm more familiar with the caliber. Maybe I need another barrel, better yet another rifle!

I've built a lot of Grendels in the past and really favor the round on the AR platform for deer hunting for those that want to use their AR for that purpose. I've built 18-24" barreled ones and I favor the 20" standard weight for an all-around deer hunting rifle. Free-float tube, taperedbarrel under the handguard set up with the ACE skeletal stock. Nice handy rig and they've all shot very well. I've used Rock blanks for most of them, and shot-out 1000 yard high-power barrels for quite a few more. Once you cut 6" off the chamber end and turn out a 20" barrel (most are Krieger) the chamber and throat look like a brand new barrel for 1/3rd or less the cost of a new one. Never had one of those barrels not shoot 1/2 MOA or better. There's been quite a few deer killed with those rifles over the last 3 or 4 years out to 325 yards and from every report I've heard they've worked very well. It's a great round for that platform.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.