Any 6.5 Grendel shooters in the forum?

I've built a lot of Grendels in the past and really favor the round on the AR platform for deer hunting for those that want to use their AR for that purpose. I've built 18-24" barreled ones and I favor the 20" standard weight for an all-around deer hunting rifle. Free-float tube, taperedbarrel under the handguard set up with the ACE skeletal stock. Nice handy rig and they've all shot very well. I've used Rock blanks for most of them, and shot-out 1000 yard high-power barrels for quite a few more. Once you cut 6" off the chamber end and turn out a 20" barrel (most are Krieger) the chamber and throat look like a brand new barrel for 1/3rd or less the cost of a new one. Never had one of those barrels not shoot 1/2 MOA or better. There's been quite a few deer killed with those rifles over the last 3 or 4 years out to 325 yards and from every report I've heard they've worked very well. It's a great round for that platform.

It is a great platform. Longest kill shot on deer 425 yards.

David and Goliath; the 6.5 grendel next to 264 Winchester Magnum. Forgive me if I am wrong, but aren't these the smallest and the largest factory chambered 6.5's? Gotta love 6.5mm can't wait for my 6.5 grendel.

Attachments

• 532024_10101356826016643_1887512049_n.jpg
    532024_10101356826016643_1887512049_n.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 93
I've built a lot of Grendels in the past and really favor the round on the AR platform for deer hunting for those that want to use their AR for that purpose. I've built 18-24" barreled ones and I favor the 20" standard weight for an all-around deer hunting rifle. Free-float tube, taperedbarrel under the handguard set up with the ACE skeletal stock. Nice handy rig and they've all shot very well. I've used Rock blanks for most of them, and shot-out 1000 yard high-power barrels for quite a few more. Once you cut 6" off the chamber end and turn out a 20" barrel (most are Krieger) the chamber and throat look like a brand new barrel for 1/3rd or less the cost of a new one. Never had one of those barrels not shoot 1/2 MOA or better. There's been quite a few deer killed with those rifles over the last 3 or 4 years out to 325 yards and from every report I've heard they've worked very well. It's a great round for that platform.

David and Goliath; the 6.5 grendel next to 264 Winchester Magnum. Forgive me if I am wrong, but aren't these the smallest and the largest factory chambered 6.5's? Gotta love 6.5mm can't wait for my 6.5 grendel.

Yes I believe you're correct. I've been truly amazed with this gun considering its diminutive size comparatively speaking to the magnum round but your David and Goliath comparison rings true because its a bad @ss! Ive always been a .308 or 30.06 guy but im sold on this gun for varmint to medium game (within proper distance on larger game of course.)

I been around a long time shooting bolt guns and I resisted the AR craze til I saw one in 7.62x39 and bought it. Ive been wringing it out w diff kinds of ammo for a yr or so. Then I began reading on Grendels and I resisted that for a bit til I stumbled onto a great deal on a new Alexander Arms 24" complete upper. I have it zeroed a bit high at 425y now and its shooting 3" group at that range, but Ive only run one box of shells thru it. So like my 39 I'm sure it will shrink the groups over time. I only had one lower so I ordered another New Frontier Arms lower today. I think next Ill some kind of two stage package trigger for it. Tomorrow morn I'm going to wring the Grendel out on the 600y range at my club to see how it works at that yardage.

I've got a RPR in 6.5CM, and it is obscenely accurate. I live in SC and only have access to 425 yards when the corn is not growing, but I hit everything in the crosshairs.

I am waiting to try my Alexander Arms 6.5 Grendel upper as soon as I can find some time. I'm going to use it as one of my nighttime hog hunting rigs.

I just finished building a 6.5G2 on a 24" Krieger barrel a few months ago. I've got about 150 rounds through it. I'll be chorographing some rounds in the near future. I've got a thread on the gun with pictures somewhere on this page.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.