Carbon Fiber Barrels: Waiting for a Real Solution

Materials are used in conjunction all the time and work well. Where do we start.
Mercedes Benz glues their aluminum frame rails into a steel sleeve in the floor. No problems there.
All vehicles using carbon fiber parts are glues onto steel panels. Not screwed or bolted on.
CA has been around for 25 years. Fierce owner John Mogal spent more than a decade working for CA before leaving. As a dealer who has sold these for 15 years, I can't see what you are basing your opinion on. Are you a CF barrel shooter? And then after running down the CF barrel you promote a new CF barrel maker.
I think the question was about the effect of heat expansion of the two materials, and how they would react.

Materials are used in conjunction all the time and work well. Where do we start.
Mercedes Benz glues their aluminum frame rails into a steel sleeve in the floor. No problems there.
All vehicles using carbon fiber parts are glues onto steel panels. Not screwed or bolted on.
CA has been around for 25 years. Fierce owner John Mogal spent more than a decade working for CA before leaving. As a dealer who has sold these for 15 years, I can't see what you are basing your opinion on. Are you a CF barrel shooter? And then after running down the CF barrel you promote a new CF barrel maker.
I do own a 6.5 PRC with a Chris Reed carbon wrapped Benchmark barrel. And I used to own another carbon wrapped 308 Winchester which I sold. I do not own, promote, or sell barrels from the MFG that I linked in my comment. I don't consider my comments to be "running down" any barrel maker they are simply observations. It is true that carbon fiber has been around a long time and it is glued to other materials all the time but these parts are not asked to function as a rifle barrel.
My comments are from the opinion that we have Lots of R and D work to do in the carbon wrapped barrel industry. Several of the issues have been listed in this thread; one of the main ones is that heat doesn't transfer through carbon like it does through steel. The carbon wrap around the barrel liner acts as an insulator Which will hold heat in and this cannot be good for the barrel. Secondly the claim is that carbon wrapped barrels are stiffer than steel barrels. This is not an accurate claim. A couple years ago one of the guys on this forum chucked up several barrels in the lathe and noted the deflection When a weight was hung from the barrel. The overall conclusion was that a carbon wrapped barrel was just as stiff as a steel barrel of the same weight. This leads me to believe that with the current technology the only actual benefit of a carbon wrapped barrel is they look cool.

Let's not forget the American classic Corvette fiberglass and resin glued together to form a car

I think epoxy mixtures have come a long way. If you own a fairly modern pickup, look at the seams in the bed and up over the cab. That squiggly stuff in the seam isnt weld, it's an epoxy holding your truck together.

Funny no one has mentioned HCA barrels. Mikes building me a 6.5 saum on a tikka action cant wai to see how she shoots. And does anyone know why benchmark briefly made CF barrels then stopped? I have one on my 280ai that seems pretty good

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.