Carbon Fiber Barrels: Waiting for a Real Solution

Litehiker

We have all read about carbon fiber wrapped barrels. Some of us have rifles with CF wrapped barrels. What's the big deal with CF wrapped barrels? Well done correctly carbon fiber/resin golf club shafts, XC ski racing poles, hiking poles, exotic supercar and F1 race car "tubs" all are hellishly stiff and very light weight. And as well, stiffness in a rifle barrel is highly important to minimize barrel vibrations as the bullet passes down them, thus thus enhancing accuracy. And thus CF wrapped barrels seemed a logical choice to do that and with minimum weight bing the benefit. Minimum weight is great for mountain rifles, not to mention sniper rifles for operators who have to haul their *** and their gear AND their rifle up thousands of feet into thin air at say, 11,000 feet or so - kinda like a mountain hunter.

BUT... CF wrapping of barrels is still more an art than a science. No one CF barrel maker has yet made barrels that are totally consistent in performance and durability.

FACTOIDS of CF wrapped barrels:
->Generally the steel core is a remarkably thin barrel of stainless steel for its greater longevity in an expensive barrel. That's OK by me. Turning down a "normal" barrel into a wispy core is how you lose all that pesky weight.
->There are only a few prominent makers of CF wrapped barrels (that most shooters trust).
*Proof Research-carbon fiber filaments are wrapped with a special machine that does an overlapping diagonal "Maypole" weave.
*Christensen Arms does a proprietary layup not involving diagonal weaving.
*Fierce Firearms lays up their CF strands, tape and mat in various directions including diagonal layup.

->The epoxy-type resin makeup (it may not be epoxy in all cases) is a proprietary secret as is the vacuum/autoclave process used to impregnate the CF layers. Both Christensen and Proof Research have great experience making carbon fiber parts for military aircraft so they have a reservoir of knowledge that other barrel makers likely do not. Still, both of these companies have had occasional problems with their CF barrels. The coefficient of liner expansion as barrels heat up differs between the metal core and the CF/resin wrap. And THAT can cause delimitation at worst.
In any case it has been demonstrated that a heavy metal barrel will shoot very well until its little heart (leade) has been shot out. Some CF barrels will do this too, but it's not always a given. Plus some will not hold a 1/2 MOA for more than 3 or 4 shots when the barrel heats up. What the heck?!

So we are still waiting for that perfect CF barrel that is perfectly consistent over its life, barrel after barrel after barrel. And it appears that the answer likely lies in a better resin, better layup process and maybe even a better knowledge of inner barrel profile-to-outer barrel profile ratios. Do you want pre-peg fibers or not? Should the pre-peg resin be the same as the final resin? Should the wrap layup be the same from chamber to muzzle threads? And does the final CF surface need to be smooth or fluted?

Get that coefficient of liner expansion difference between the steel core and the CF layup solved, the optimal layup pattern solved, and the "unknown unknowns" discovered and we may have the kind of barrels that are actually always worth the high CF price.

Eric B.
P.S. I put this post here to give it the most exposure but I realize it also belongs in the forum on "Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics".

Last edited:
Well...I have a Proof Research coming for 7mm-08 build. Hope it shoots. My most recent build is a 7mm RM with a 24 inch Bartlein flutted 3b. So far, it shoots anything I've sent down it sub 1/2 MOA at 100 yards.

Hey Bill...how many rounds thru those barrels of your before being shot out...do you have any pics of the throat areas....
First one about 1100 rounds I could've replaced it with 1000 the second one I started Molly coating from the beginning it went 1600 rounds still great out to about 600 yards or so beyond that groupS started opening up I'm waiting to get it back from the gunsmith now with the third barrel everyone knows a65x284 is hard on barrels

I have been wanting to try out one of the new carbon fiber barrels coming from Bartlein. Seems like they would not put out a barrel that would damage their stellar reputation without a whole lot of prior testing.

Working at a 7mm build by Kirby Allen now where we'll be using the new Bartlein Carbon and their new harder stainless:

Carbon Fiber Wrapped
7mm, 5R rifling, 1-8.0 twist, S.S.
Bartlein #4 Bull Sporter
400MODBB Bartlein proprietary material

I'll try to remember to keep you posted on how this one works out. The 7 Allen Mag will test them like not much else will. ;)

I'm not a metallurgist or a physicist but it seems that there are always problems when you at start joining dissimilar materials and expect them to act in a similar way. I have had high hopes for the carbon wrapped barrels but there appears to be more misinformation and hype than actual data on the subject. This situation is further muddled by passionate purchasers who after spending thousands on a custom carbon rifle can't evaluate it objectively. Honestly the concept of gluing solid layers of carbon fiber to a steel barrel liner goes against the most successful and common uses of carbon fiber which tend to be cylindrical or tubular in nature. I think the tension barrel design that leaves air space between the steel barrel liner and places the carbon fiber In a cylinder around it Makes the most sense and best use of the different materials. I'm not sure why this method has not been further developed and employed?
these guys seem to be the only company making barrels with a tension sleeve design.
https://www.bsfbarrels.com/

YEP, It's still "Early Days", as the Brits say, for CF wrapped barrels.

As for CF stocks, I'd like to see an honest test of various versions. They ain't all the same. Test the weight, strength, stiffness, bedding blocks, etc. And finally slice them longitudinally if the tester has the $$ to do so.

->For example my Browning X-bolt Pro CF wrapped stock has 2 "socks", one from butt to pistol grip and the other from tip of fore arm to pistol grip. No laid up "strips" of CF. It has a CF bedding block and bedding compound for a very secure fit. But still the Browning stock seems kinda heavy for all that tech.
->SAKO appears to use just one continuous sock as per the video of their factory layup.
->Still others use layup strips which may or may not be good.

Wait, did I just stumble onto yet another thread topic?

Space Age materials helps us with many things in hunting from laser rangefinders to weather station/ballistic calculators to Gore-Tex clothing, etc. But some things do take time to "sort out" and CF barrels seems to be one of them.
Eric B.

I have a proof in 7mm rm. It shoots well. My thoughts are it's for hunting situations where one shot is needed and a couple of back up shots if necessary. Not necessarily for someone who wants to shoot 10 round strings although some people probably do but I don't think it's the best application for that. I think there will be some refinements to carbon fiber barrels eventually. I like my CF barrel for being light & accurate. Would I recommend it or not for someone else to spend that much on a barrel is still up in the air for me. I would say if you have the cash available go for it. If trying to go light on a budget then maybe there are better alternatives.

DJ, you're correct that for hunting we don't need many shots. If you can't get a big game animal down with two shots you might want to go back to paper punching on the range from a cement bench.

My 6.5 PRC Browning X-Bolt Pro has a skinny barrel and it's fluted making it even lighter but also more prone to bullet dispersion when it heats up. So after three 1/2 MOA shots in 2 minutes or less it does throw bullets into 1 1/4 MOA so I need to make one or two shot big game kills. I do think a cld hammer forged barrel of the same size and weight would do a bit better when hot as these barrels tend to be more stress relieved.

I'm not a metallurgist or a physicist but it seems that there are always problems when you at start joining dissimilar materials and expect them to act in a similar way. I have had high hopes for the carbon wrapped barrels but there appears to be more misinformation and hype than actual data on the subject. This situation is further muddled by passionate purchasers who after spending thousands on a custom carbon rifle can't evaluate it objectively. Honestly the concept of gluing solid layers of carbon fiber to a steel barrel liner goes against the most successful and common uses of carbon fiber which tend to be cylindrical or tubular in nature. I think the tension barrel design that leaves air space between the steel barrel liner and places the carbon fiber In a cylinder around it Makes the most sense and best use of the different materials. I'm not sure why this method has not been further developed and employed?
these guys seem to be the only company making barrels with a tension sleeve design.
https://www.bsfbarrels.com/
Materials are used in conjunction all the time and work well. Where do we start.
Mercedes Benz glues their aluminum frame rails into a steel sleeve in the floor. No problems there.
All vehicles using carbon fiber parts are glues onto steel panels. Not screwed or bolted on.
CA has been around for 25 years. Fierce owner John Mogal spent more than a decade working for CA before leaving. As a dealer who has sold these for 15 years, I can't see what you are basing your opinion on. Are you a CF barrel shooter? And then after running down the CF barrel you promote a new CF barrel maker.

I'm on my third proof carbon barrel in my 6.5 x 284 Norma all have functioned perfectly I have not had any problems whatsoever carbon fiber barrels are either loved or hated by people I personally think many people suffer from carbon derangement syndrome
I hated them till I bit the bullet and bought one! I'm definitely a carbon fiber fan now!!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.