Carbon Fiber Wrapped Barrels

There are a plethora of phases in which crystalline carbon can be ordered so you will see a variety of data published on values such as thermal conductivity. But as I mentioned in the earlier post, I have studied this in depth and have noted first hand these variations so you can really support either argument with "literature values." Furthermore, as I have learned in my years of research, much of the data that is published is crapola. You can make carbon fibers that conduct heat very well. I was well funded for a while by the DoE to investigate thermally enhanced materials and I have done the measurements myself--some carbon fibers did very, very well. Some did not.

Interesting. I did not see much variation in the thermal conductivity of carbon fiber composite materials in the literature. You seem to be talking about the conductivity of bare carbon fiber along the fiber axis. Are you saying that the carbon-carbon composite material, not just the carbon fiber, has higher thermal conductivity than steel?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts