Carbon fiber wrapped barrels

Here's that magic word again CARBON How are these barrels made? Does the resin hardness change as it warms up, very probable. Are the fibers straight , not kinked and run along the tension and compression forces ? How many layers eg 1 layer of 200 gram or 2 layers make 400 gram and 3 layers make 600 gram. What is the resin to reinforce ratio? wouldn't it be nice to have some idea what you are buying, in this case a composite wrapped barrel. To control whip one would think layers of unidirectional running from receiver to muzzle be the major layup

Stocks are another lucky dip. Is it an all carbon stock or a wooden stock with one single layer of carbon to make it look sexy. Both probably shoot well but Having one word Carbon is not sufficient information for a buyer.

Sorry to tack this onto this thread but if you would be interested in a code to better describe composites then I would like to hear from you.
Having two words is sufficient for me. Bartlein Carbon.

Most plastics and rubber have a code which identifies the quality, comfort and expected performance. The flexible seating in your lounge and chairs has one so why not composites ? Seems no one is interested here, possibly something for the composite industry. Thanks for your comments.

The process will get to the point that you you may never see full steel barrels.

The issue I see is the dissimilar thermal expansion of the steel and graphite.

25+ yrs in aviation, these issues still arise from time to time even today. Not being able to see the processes of the various manufacturers, I am curious to see how many steps from the preparation of the base substrate to the final cure and finish of the barrel each manufacturer has.

We are seeing the aviation industry use innovative processing now that have cure temperatures in the 750* range. In some cases that is twice the temperature of previous processes of just a few years ago.

Seeing these wound, fine narrow filament fiber "tape" barrels versus the hand laid up resin saturated woven graphite cloth(45* and 90*) barrels (HCA) is interesting to me. What testing is done on the graphite material to determine total resin content and what is the surface tact(amount at the surface) amount. I would like to know if ultrasonic testing is done on every barrel, by the batch or if it is even done at all. I would like to see an independent deflection and harmonics study along with the thermal transfer and thermal ramp and cool rate during live fire.

I and curiously following along to see where this technology is headed.

Piles and piles of data out there on this subject with proof and Christiansen having been down this road well over 10 years, heck maybe 20. There are quite a few more now on the scene with x caliber and bartlien for example. This is old news, not new. It is unlikely the carbon wrap will replace a steel barrel from a cost to manufacture point but the carbon barrel is here to stay and it's a highly effective and proven product. Just spun on a proof last night on a new prc. Another bad@*** rifle ready to hit the range

Piles and piles of data out there on this subject with proof and Christiansen having been down this road well over 10 years, heck maybe 20. There are quite a few more now on the scene with x caliber and bartlien for example. This is old news, not new. It is unlikely the carbon wrap will replace a steel barrel from a cost to manufacture point but the carbon barrel is here to stay and it's a highly effective and proven product. Just spun on a proof last night on a new prc. Another bad@*** rifle ready to hit the range
My son just finished a 338 edge on a proof barrel. Nice piece

I have been making all carbon stocks since 1972 . I spoke to Lee Six of Brown Stocks at one of the shoots he mentioned they would not take off being too expensive. Having been involved in the aircraft industry using vacuum and prepreg, barrel wrapping was to be one of my next developments back in the 1980's but due to the available resins that would not handle the high temperature I never got around to it. The materials are available today specially with the newer unidirectional and double bias carbon weaves. I have retired now and lost access to a plastic testing lab set up to measure stresses , return to zero and accuracy of return. When making the stocks years ago it was possible to test without firing a shot. It's one thing to look good but a different matter when tested. Thanks for all your remarks.

Dang I'm going to need a PhD to understand all this. You fellas are way to smart for a public school guy like me but it's pretty interesting to know how much time and development goes into this stuff