Can inside necks be TO clean?

Dry tumbled and neck brushed was the group that I call tumbled only. Using different bushings will change the seating force in each group but poundage and variation range seemed to remain consistent. The less slick the inside of the necks are the more variance you see because the friction tension from the bullet sliding down in the sticky case necks varies along with actual neck tension variances compounding the variance. I can take a cases that seat at 30lbs with slick lube and cases that have been annealed and ultrasonic only that seat at 70-100lbs and shoot at 600 yards. The 70-100lb groups will be 4x the size and almost always string vertically.

Exactly correct.
Hornady Unique.
I don't know what slicklube is, but Hornady Unique is better than all the graphite powders being branded and promoted. Better than HBN coated bullets for reducing bullet seating friction on the case necks. I HBN coat bullets, but for different purposes.

There's a reason the case resizing waxes are popular. They do a wonderful job reducing surface to surface friction.

I take liquid spray graphite and spray it in a Berger box, roll a qtip in it and roll it in the necks. It dries instantly and eliminates friction. I know people that have gotten their powder damp by using too much unique and ran into problems.

That sounds better than dry graphite.

The Hornady Unique is a two step process. Apply - remove excess. 100% coverage as with your method. It stays put and doesn't get swept away as the bullet is seated.

Maximum friction reduction results in minimum difference in seating forces.

I recently pulled 1500 bullets. Observed the difference between force required to pull bullets. The waxed case necks released their bullets much more uniformly, even after a long period of time had transpired from the time the bullet had been seated.

So, if reading this correctly, slick lube = liquid graphite spray?

Similar results might be attained from Baldhunter's previous post about using dry graphite with a bore mop.

I also mentioned something similar, but was dipping a plastic neck brush in dry graphite and using the brush, as one uses it to clean necks, to apply graphite to wet cleaned necks. This does work pretty well as it tends to embed the graphite to the sides of the necks. Necks look somewhat similar to carbon coated necks - they are black.

Thanks to jsthntn247's well documented posts. I am thinging about trying spray tefflon.

Check this stuff out: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D3G6IFE/?tag=lrhmag19-20

What do you think?

So, if reading this correctly, slick lube = liquid graphite spray?

Similar results might be attained from Baldhunter's previous post about using dry graphite with a bore mop.

I also mentioned something similar, but was dipping a plastic neck brush in dry graphite and using the brush, as one uses it to clean necks, to apply graphite to wet cleaned necks. This does work pretty well as it tends to embed the graphite to the sides of the necks. Necks look somewhat similar to carbon coated necks - they are black.

Thanks to jsthntn247's well documented posts. I am thinging about trying spray tefflon.

Check this stuff out: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D3G6IFE/?tag=lrhmag19-20

What do you think?

That will work. The stuff I use is called LU204. Another benefit to using it is the bullets don't cold weld not matter how long they set there. No pop when seating deeper even after a year. Put it in the necks before you size and sizing will smear it into the neck walls. If it's hunting ammo I will add more before seating bullets just for added protection since they might set a while before shooting.

That will work. The stuff I use is called LU204. Another benefit to using it is the bullets don't cold weld not matter how long they set there. No pop when seating deeper even after a year. Put it in the necks before you size and sizing will smear it into the neck walls. If it's hunting ammo I will add more before seating bullets just for added protection since they might set a while before shooting.

How long do you wait for the LU204 to dry in the case necks before you pour powder into the case?
Thanks.
This stuff is possibly what I've been looking for.

I put it in the necks and turn the cases upside down in a loading block. By the time I'm done they are all dry. It dries instantly.

You use it twice, once while sizing and once before seating.

I size my case then tumble and later sonic clean. So I will need to add the LU204 before seating bullets. I hope that I'll see the same benefit of preventing bonding.

Try depriming, ultrasonic, anneal, tumble, size, trim, prime, load. I think you will have better results. Tumbling after ultrasonic and annealing helps polish the stickiness out of the necks.

I use Unique lube before sizing. That's why I ; resize, tumble,trim, anneal, sonic clean . I need to get the lub off and dont really see the nead to tumble twice. ??

You can take 100 cases and ultrasonic or stainless tumble them. Then anneal all of them and throw half of them in a tumbler for a couple hours. Take 5 cases that havnt been tumbled, 5 tumbled cases, 5 tumbled cases with necks dipped in graphite powder, 5 tumbled cases with slick lube applied to the neck. Resize all cases and load on a Hydro Press with seating force indicator. The ultra sonic only without tumbling or neck lube will seat up to 100 lbs and have a range of 30lbs. The tumbled cases seat at 60 lbs with a range of 15 lbs. Powder graphite in the neck cases 40lbs with a range of 10 lbs. Slick lube cases 30lbs with a range of 4lbs. How did cases ran through the same sizing due show such a large variance? The hydro press shows total seating force, which is a combination of squeeze tension (neck tension from the neck squeezing the bullet) and friction tension (grip/stickyness between the bullet jack and the neck). What testing this multiple times showed me was that you want the slickest thing possible applied to the inside of your necks so that any variation in seating force is actual squeeze tension. When nothing is applied to the neck you have no idea whether it squeeze or friction tension variances making the differences in seating force. I can load for a 2 day match and might have a 10lb variance in seating force with slick lube cases and separate those into 2lb groups for each string and minimize vertical because the I know the differences I'm seeing is actual differences in neck tension.

And here is another take.on the whole neck tension thing. Different.strokes.for.different.folks

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f28/factory-crimp-die-177635/

I am experimenting with LFCD in several cartridges with good results but I want to eliminate the chance of bonding if my ammo sits a while. I've had bad surprises with ammo that has sit for a while even with cases that had mica applied before seating, I think the bullet just pushes the mica off the inside of the case during seating.

Deprime, ultrasonic, anneal, size, trim, prime, load.

Never had the need for tumbling if I'm prelubing the case neck interiors. I don't generally load large quantities. Wipe the Hornady Unique off the exterior manually. Unique is more easily removed than Imperial sizing wax...

Last edited:
OK all this lubing inside the necks of the cases. Does this in any way allow the bullets to move if they are in the magazine, especially in a big magnum? Also won't powder stick to some of the wet lubes as you drop powder?

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.