Can i use my magneto speed during load development?

barnesuser28

Just like the title says, will the use of the magentospeed during load development affect my final or true accuracy load?

I have used it for this for about 4 months. I have noticed little or no Impac change on the large calibers (30 cal and up). I Believe you will be fine and invaluable for speed checks as they are much more consistent than shoot through chronys. Good luck.

Riley,

Depending on barrel weight and taper You may or may not experience much or no divergence with or without it.

I would think that POI may shift a bit though not certain. . .

If you work up a great load with it installed then remove it, you'll quickly know.

Let us know what you learn?

Question: I'm thinking of getting one but have a concern.

How much of a brake can be used?

I think there would be no problem with the Holland QD on the 270 AM, but that huge APS Painkiller on the 375 may be a deal breaker. The thing is about 4" long and 3" wide.

And I'm not about to lay down behind that sucker w/on that brake installed! gun)

PS: how big of a barrel diameter can it handle?

Here is a Magnetospeed V2 with a large brake on a 338 lapua
magneto_brems.jpg

This one is 72mm (2.83") long. The barrel is 0.9" at the muzzle.
edit: 4" brake might be too long. See page 11 http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0150/8926/files/MagnetoSpeed_V2_Instructions.pdf

The V2 can handle barrel dimensions of 2" (i use it on a 7mm WSM with silencer with great success)

Anything attached to the end of the barrel will change the harmonics. That can cause POI issues and and grouping issues compared to a naked barrel..

How much of a change is dependent on the individual barrel.

That is the whe idea behind adjustable barrel tuners to adjust the harmonics and to tighen groups

Reshoot everything after done and see if any major changes.

I have used my Magnetospeed with both my 6.5x284 and 300WM. Both have barrels that are heavy, .78-.83" at the muzzle. Both show changes in POI and accuracy with the MS attached. The accuracy and ease of set up of the MS is superb though, and absolutely repeatable from day to day under any conditions. For this reason I will segregate my accuracy development from chrongraphimg which I did most of the time anyway. In my view, I'm still ahead of the game, and will save time and frustration over the variability I have experienced with my other chronographs. The key factor that needs to be observed with the MS is to make sure the unit is securely attached to the barrel, and does not slip during firing. This will effect readings. This can easily be addressed for heavy recoiling rifles by placing the extra rubber mount that is supplied, under the nylon strap on top of the barrel. When tightened the unit will not move. Unlike the optical chronographs that are set up 15' or more from the muzzle, velocities from the MS will give readings that are higher by 10-20 FPS depending on the load. This is likely due to the readings being taken off the muzzle. The exact value can be determined using a ballistic calculator. With this adjustment, the velocities from my MS match my Oehler 35 and actual velocity as calculated by using drop data.

JonnyVang/Greyfox,

Good info!

The APS Painkiller is 3 7/8s from base to end w/a 1/2" shank at the base.
Just a bit big . . . But . . . Hey, that's only one rig!

I'll put one on my wish list.:)

Thanks for all the replies, i figured i would have to not use the MS for load work. No biggie for m.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.