Magneto Speed V3

kbaerg

I had a package show up today from the mail man. This is my first Magneto Speed Chrono so I have no comparisons to give. I won't be able to get out till next week to try it out as I am on call for work.

Attachments

• IMG_20140418_165344_641.jpg
    IMG_20140418_165344_641.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 32
That looks real sweet! I have the magneto speed V2 and I love mine. My understanding the V3 is more user friendly and refined.

Well I couldn't wait any longer, so I got my Magneto Speed V3 set up on my 300 win mag and put 6 rounds down the tube today. Setup is pretty straight forward after reading through the manual. I did email Ivan at Magneto Speed with some pictures and concern about the closeness of my muzzle in relation to the sensors. He responded saying everything looked well setup and offered some minor adjustments which were taken. I can't compare to previous versions as this is my first magneto speed. The menu screen is pretty easy to read and navigate through as well, and setup is easy

Attachments

• IMG_20140418_210815_373.jpg
    IMG_20140418_210815_373.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20140418_211007_647.jpg
    IMG_20140418_211007_647.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 34
just a note on the magnetospeed, love mine but it shifts my poi big time on my 300 win mag 700 adl here is a target, i shot 2 3 shot groups testing a load then put the chrono on and tested the velocity of 3 rounds. i was aiming at the bottom right target. it shifted the poi 6 inches up.

i had to change my load development procedure from the standard chrono i was using. now i run a pressure ladder with chrono to check speeds and pressure signs. then i load up my ladder find the load then test it and recheck velocity i just to look for accuracy on the velocity rounds.

enjoy it i love how easy it is to set up and go and you don't have to worry about the wind blowing it over or sun in the sensors or any of that stuff.

My V3 is in the mail today.
I have used the V2 and hat that shifted my POI high and right a little.
It does depend on the barrel as well as the mounting being loose.
Been told the new model is improved and less likely to loosen.

That is a big POI change! Most rifles I shoot it through makes the group rise 1/2-1 inch with no group size change.

it is a 26" barrel so that may have something to do with it. i can guarantee it wasn't loose

poi on my 20" ar is around 4" higher and my 6.5-284 24" is 2" left and 2" high

Curious how you guys are using these Magneto's ... do you do your load development without any chrono data, and then attach the magneto after to get velocity??

I can't imagine you can work up a load with it attached ....

Curious how you guys are using these Magneto's ... do you do your load development without any chrono data, and then attach the magneto after to get velocity??

I can't imagine you can work up a load with it attached ....
\

i run a one shot pressure/velocity check for the range of charges i think will work to get me ballpark with the chrono on then i load my desired ladder do my work ups then after i have chosen my charge i do a 10 shot velocity check with the chrono.

i can't do work ups with it on i have a huge poi shift.

\

i run a one shot pressure/velocity check for the range of charges i think will work to get me ballpark with the chrono on then i load my desired ladder do my work ups then after i have chosen my charge i do a 10 shot velocity check with the chrono.

I figured that had to be the process. I'm also guessing that the Magneto is a whole lot more accurate than a standard chrono, and you don't have to mess with the sunshade, aligning it right, and all that crap.

I'll have to save up some $ so I can get one. Always fun to have the latest and greatest. :D

I have the V2. It's has about 100 shots fired over it and the buckle on the strap broke. Before the strap broke once in awhile the plug on the sensor would come loose and then we get no readings. I now use zip ties to secure it and that works really well. It does change my point of impact and it opens my groups up so tests are done without it and then chronograph the finished product to obtain the speed for my drop chart.

\

I don't want to be a buzz kill, but have to put forth my .02 on this one.

Before I start, I will say that I rarely shoot at controlled ranges. I shoot at a self regulated range in a rural area - USFS land - so very different from busy regulated "city ranges". Therefore I am not restricted to access my chrono by a range master.

What is mentioned by Timber338 and bigdawg is the first thing I thought of when I saw the first Magneto. Anything touching the barrel can affect POI AND group size, but I see in a previous post someone mentions that it doesn't change their group size. (However your mileage may vary.)

I design products (actually designed and made my own chrono on a Vector board & wire wrap in 1985 using a Z80 processor as a hobby project - no big deal really), and the knowledge that POI and group size could be affected by something attached to the barrel steered me away from a design like that. As we see, it is actually causing the users to change their methodology of load development and fire even more rounds than a device that doesn't affect trajectory. ONE OF THE FIRST RULES OF PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT IS, DON'T MAKE THE USER CHANGE THEIR METHODOLOGY UNLESS THE BENEFITS ARE OVERWHELMING.

When do I use a chrono? A lot of the time! I use it for load development. I also use it to confirm velocities whenever any variable changes after I have a good load (primer, brass, trim length, annealing, etc.). I also use it to observe different atmospheric affects on the gun and powder (hot days vs. very cold etc.). I have put well over 1000 rifle rounds through my chrono in the last few years. (Hundreds of pistol rounds as well though for those I don't worry about the target- its just for speed testing. The Magneto obviously is a no go for testing pistol ammo.)

In all of these (rifle) tests I compare the target with the chrono data.

Cost of shooting is something to consider as well, especially if you shoot a lot of Barnes or other premium projectiles.

The convenience benefit is clear with the Magneto. Access to the chronometer at a regulated range would be a big plus and perhaps more important for many, robustness of operating in different lighting conditions. But for me that does not merit a change in load development and verification methodology. (Not to mention 2X-3x the cost of a standard design chrono, along with a significant increase in ammo usage/cost.)

Just my own humble opinion.

Have fun, be safe!

I found that using my Magneto Speed chrono while evaluating my ammo precision, I could match the higher velocity with the higher hit, and the lower with the low hit. I was shooting some factory loads that turned out to have 82 fps extreme spread. The high velocity round was .515" higher than the lowest velocity. When my velocity range was tightened by using reloads, the group dropped accordingly. I can't think of a better way to justify stuffing my own. Even if the chrono changed the point of aim, the difference would still show up in the group.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.