Magneto Speed V3

Mine occasionally slipped further forward toward the muzzle as the rifle recoiled. If I don't catch it in time, this occasionally results in the bayonet blade moving lower away from the bore and not reading correctly. (Not sure how the MS-V3 unit could shift to the rear though) For the most part, I have been able to control shifting by backing the tightening screw well out, and then cinching the strap very firmly so that the tightening screw has maximum remaining travel. I quit tightening when the screw gets hard to turn for fear of breaking something.

I think the instructions indicate you can put something in as a heat shield between the straps and the pad so maybe you could put something in to help with grip as well like you suggest. Because the bayonet blade is supposed to be so close to the bore to read correctly, I'd be very careful when doing so to make sure nothing could shift and cause a bullet strike on the blade.

Thought about inserting a soft rubber type gasket material underneath the canvas strap. Would appreciate any thoughts, similar experiences and corrective actions. Thanks in advance.

You are on the right track in my opinion.

I have had mine since they first came out and had way too many similar experiences just like you described. Your suggestion of "inserting a soft rubber type gasket material underneath the canvas strap" is exactly what I do and have used with many rifles.

I cut various strips out of a soft rubber type material to go under the strap touching the barrel. I also cut some strips from same rubber sheet that I can use on the bayonet pads that touch the barrel to get a more perfect fit if a barrel OD is an inbetweener for the various pad combinations that come with kit.

I found the smaller OD barrels that have ultra smooth barrel surfaces to be a constant challenge until I started using the rubber strips.

Think I'll just stick with my Shooting Chrony for a hundred bucks...or at least until I wack it with an errant pill......:D

If that unfortunate situation ever occurred just send me a note and I'll send you another one and you can buy me a beer if we ever cross paths.

I know it's Sunday and Sunday on LRH is usually flush with wacky posts... I'm perfectly happy with the Chrony, it does exactly what it's supposed to do. I take an average of 10 shots for velocity anyway.

Besides, it was a gift from my wife, so until I accidently shoot it, I'll keep using it.

Works for me. besides, I'm not high tech, I'm old.

Thanks all for the comments....cowboy, definitely going to try the rubber strips. Sidecar, truth is I bought the Magneto speed because I "shot" my 30 yr old Chrony. It was one of the first made, with the cardboard sensors...after 2 repairs and an upgrade, I was told technology had changed so buy a new one. I did....Magnetospeed V3......actually both give really similar results....

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.