Can a Mark V action be made into a switch barrel action?

I understand it now, my problem was i was only considering the bullet turning to the Right, for the point of view of me as the Shooter. Looking at the barrel from the stock in your shoulder. However, If one looks at this from the Muzzle, then it became easy for me to understand. Thanks to ASD and Taylor. My thread really got a lot of people to chime in!!! So, the real issue is, "who knows where we can buy an Internal Action Wrench for our Mark V Actions?? " Comon boys Please tell us!!

I'm not comprehending how you are relating those scenarios.

Go shoot your rifle off a set of bags or with a very loose bipod and grip.

I hope you in the minority for your first sentence.

I fire all my rifles like I would hold a BB gun. Even when hunting I hold them with just enough to keep them from falling. Am I suppose to notice something?

I hope you in the minority for your first sentence.

I fire all my rifles like I would hold a BB gun. Even when hunting I hold them with just enough to keep them from falling. Am I suppose to notice something?
I need a video, picture or drawing of what you are trying to describe then because what I am picturing is essentially poking a block with a stick.
You should be able to witness your rifle torque in the direction of the rifling.

I need a video, picture or drawing of what you are trying to describe then because what I am picturing is essentially poking a block with a stick.
You should be able to witness your rifle torque in the direction of the rifling.

Sorry. I have to disagree. The rifle would torque in the opposite direction of the rifling.

So, what we have here are a couple guys who are using imagination. There must be some scientific way to verify one's theory.

Sorry. I have to disagree. The rifle would torque in the opposite direction of the rifling.

So, what we have here are a couple guys who are using imagination. There must be some scientific way to verify one's theory.
Put a vinyl brush on your drill, put it in the barrel and run the drill in the drirection fo the rifling. If the barrel turns the opposite direction, you are right, if it turns the same direction as the drill (imagine bullet here) Taylorbok is right.
Now I can draw you an engineering picture with forces, direction of rotation, travel and torques, but drill is simpler IMHO

I understand it now, my problem was i was only considering the bullet turning to the Right, for the point of view of me as the Shooter. Looking at the barrel from the stock in your shoulder. However, If one looks at this from the Muzzle, then it became easy for me to understand. Thanks to ASD and Taylor. My thread really got a lot of people to chime in!!! So, the real issue is, "who knows where we can buy an Internal Action Wrench for our Mark V Actions?? " Comon boys Please tell us!!
Give short action customs a call. He might be able to make you one. You will still need a barrel vise if I udnerstand correctly how they work.

Yes!! A barrel vice is a must!! If possible, I would like to do exactly what the guy in the "What is a Switch Rife" video is doing. He the guys with the Blue Laminated stock and the Stainless-steel match barrels. That is my goal. It's the video on the second or third page of this thread,

This young guy has several good videos showing Switch barrel and how he does it. This video shows no sight in at 525 and I watched another at 1 mile. If switching barrels and cartridges I have found that a minimal sight in is required. If you want too switch out scope and barrel that are paired up like he does you should be good with out hardly any sight in.. As long as your running a decent rail and your barrel is shouldered.

I started playing with switch barrels a couple years ago but I do my own work. Now have 4 rifles that switch, 2 Savage, Ruger, Rem 722. Savages use nuts, Ruger has 1 nut barrel and one shouldered, Remington 2 that are both shouldered. The great thing about using a nut barrel with Savage threads is if you decide to upgrade your actions to say a Zermatt or some others your barrels can all work.

I like my switch barrels, and have 10 or 11 barrels between 4 actions and they keep multiplying but I also have many old rifles that I would never pull apart. My triple dueces and 222mag and more were made in heaven say they stay that way. lol

YES!! GRG, I have many rifles that will remain as they were born. New Rings and Bases and Scopes and new Trigger on one or Bedding up graded over the years, but just like you, never pull them apart. This particular Mark V ,in 300 Weatherby goes unused for years at a time. Just thought it could be a fun project. An internal action wench would be really great to have. Hopefully someone makes one!!

Ok, have followed up on this and read the replies.
When changing barrels, even with a prefit, there is no way both barrels will print to the same aim point. So you set zero stops for one barrel, then note where it zeroes against that barrel and record it. As the scope is attached to the action, no scope juggling is needed. I've been doing this for more years than I care to remember. I use a Davidson barrel vice and rear entry wrench, there are several styles, but I prefer that it goes all the way forward into the front action ring, less torque is placed on the rear of the action and I have seen a guy totally twist an action into a pretzel.
As long as the machining is tight, no amount of torque used when tightening the barrel will change headspace, this is how it should be done. Now, sometimes, like my 7STW barrel, that had the shoulder altered to fit the new thicker recoil lug, will no longer orientate with the stamping in the same place, it's slightly off centre, but it matters not to me. A Mark V won't have this issue.

Cheers.

The thing is I'm basing mine off actually observing the rifle torque. My theory is that it's caused by friction of the bullet on the rifling.

Give short action customs a call. He might be able to make you one. You will still need a barrel vise if I udnerstand correctly how they work.
The only person I can find record of having a rear entry action wrench for a Weatherby made their own. I can't seem to find the list from SAC what their heads fit but I didn't look very hard. Not gonna be cheap to have one custom made.

Yes which would tighten the barrel. Not really "a scientific way" to test the theory but I have seen videos of machine guns being shot in slow motion. With every shot the entire rifle twists (from the gyroscopic forces of the bullet being spun up to RPM) It twists in the same direction as if you put a wrench on the end of the barrel and were to tighten it. Also I remember hearing somewhere that most handguns have a right hand twist so it pushes the grip into the palm of the right handed shooter, same thing, same force as tightening the barrel. Definately an interesting discussion and hard to picture.

The thing is I'm basing mine off actually observing the rifle torque. My theory is that it's caused by friction of the bullet on the rifling.

The only person I can find record of having a rear entry action wrench for a Weatherby made their own. I can't seem to find the list from SAC what their heads fit but I didn't look very hard. Not gonna be cheap to have one custom made.
From reading, if I understand correctly, and I have to coness I know nothing about this things, the rear entry action wrench uses the action lugs. A mark V, having 9 lugs is more complecated. That and the fact that most builders use Remington styl actions, is the reason you can NOT find any. They would ahve to be custom made. That is why I suggested giving SAC a call. They might be able to make one using their modular wrench. Again, I am guessing here.

Put a vinyl brush on your drill, put it in the barrel and run the drill in the drirection fo the rifling. If the barrel turns the opposite direction, you are right, if it turns the same direction as the drill (imagine bullet here) Taylorbok is right.
Now I can draw you an engineering picture with forces, direction of rotation, travel and torques, but drill is simpler IMHO

You are certainly missing the obvious. The drill is imparting the action to the barrel.

The barrel is imparting the action to the bullet. Therefore, the reaction is going to be opposite of what you are trying to convey.