Can a Mark V action be made into a switch barrel action?

Those F class guys are changing barrels the way I'm recommending. I've even heard of guys running hand tight barrels.

Yes, I saw that on U tube. A guy put the complete competition rifle in a BARREL VICE bolted on his bench. The entire rifle was suspended off his bench.
Then he removed the bolt from the action and inserted an Action Wrench, put a socket wrench on the action wrench and gave it a sharp turn to the left. Looked like about an 1/8 of turn.
Then he unscrewed the entire rifle off the barrel that was in the barrel vice ,by hand, Scope and all. He was careful to not drop the rifle hand cradled the scope on each turn, as he unscrewed.
Then he removed the first barrel form the Barrel Vice and placed his Match Barrel into the Barrel Vice and then, screwed the entire set up back on to this new barrel. When it screwed to a hand tight stop, he inserted the Acrion Wrench with the socket wrench, gave it a sharp 1/8 of turn to then right, and that was IT!!!! He did not used any locking rings or set screws.
Both barrels were apparently cut to shoulder exactly the same. The entire video didn't take 10 min. He never took the action out of the stock. I would do almost the same thing, except I would prefer to have the heavier 6.5PRC barrel, have its own target stock, bedded just for it. I don't know if there is an action wrench available for a Mark V action, but if there is, this would be just what I wanted. If Tony is reading this perhaps, he can tell us.

Yes, I saw that on U tube. A guy put the complete competition rifle in a BARREL VICE bolted on his bench. The entire rifle was suspended off his bench.
Then he removed the bolt from the action and inserted an Action Wrench, put a socket wrench on the action wrench and gave it a sharp turn to the left. Looked like about an 1/8 of turn.
Then he unscrewed the entire rifle off the barrel that was in the barrel vice ,by hand, Scope and all. He was careful to not drop the rifle hand cradled the scope on each turn, as he unscrewed.
Then he removed the first barrel form the Barrel Vice and placed his Match Barrel into the Barrel Vice and then, screwed the entire set up back on to this new barrel. When it screwed to a hand tight stop, he inserted the Acrion Wrench with the socket wrench, gave it a sharp 1/8 of turn to then right, and that was IT!!!! He did not used any locking rings or set screws.
Both barrels were apparently cut to shoulder exactly the same. The entire video didn't take 10 min. He never took the action out of the stock. I would do almost the same thing, except I would prefer to have the heavier 6.5PRC barrel, have its own target stock, bedded just for it. I don't know if there is an action wrench available for a Mark V action, but if there is, this would be just what I wanted. If Tony is reading this perhaps, he can tell us.
I know I have seen Mark V actions vices before, I just don't remember right now. Not something in my "wheelhouse of expertise" at all. This is one I have seen before https://northlandshooterssupply.com/parts-and-tools/nss-action-wrench/ I am sure I have seen a Mark V sepicific one before, had a special cut on one side
I was more interested in the Mauser/Blaser system, but those are extremely expensive.

I just shared that video in this thread like 10 posts back…
But I'm talking hand tight, like no wrenches or vice. I'm not advising it but there's people that do it

Hi Taylor YES Thats the video that lit the fuse. If I could find a Rear entry action wrench!! That would be the key.!! Thats where my post came from on Saturday. I was trying to describe exactly this video. Thanks Buddy!!!

This could solve an issue for me. If my Mark V Weatherby action, 9 lug. could be made into a switch barrel set up. The rifle is currently a 1970's factory stock 300 Weatherby Mag. 26-inch barrel, with Iron Sights and a barrel band , Mag na ported. I have seen the Videos of the Barbour Creek and other switch barrel rifles and how easy it seems to switch barrels. What really seems to be very important are the two set screws on either side of the action where the barrel is threaded into the receiver. If this could be done, I could keep the 300 Weatherby Mag barrel for any future elk hunting but be able to shoot a 6.5 PRC or even a 7mm PRC at Long Range targets. My big question is can that Mark V Action be drilled and tapped on each side to be able to insert the set screws to lock the barrels. Is this even possible?
I had a Sako years ago that had three barrels of different calibers. Thought I had good idea but it turned out to be more trouble than it was worth. I could change barrels easy enough but found out that unless the scope was mounted directly on the barrel I had to resight the scope if I change d the barrel out. Guess that is why us old guys have a couple of hundred rifles stored away. I think you will find that it is more trouble than just setting up another rifle and probably not much cheaper even though a good set-up will cost you 4-5 grand now. Happy shooting.
This could solve an issue for me. If my Mark V Weatherby action, 9 lug. could be made into a switch barrel set up. The rifle is currently a 1970's factory stock 300 Weatherby Mag. 26-inch barrel, with Iron Sights and a barrel band , Mag na ported. I have seen the Videos of the Barbour Creek and other switch barrel rifles and how easy it seems to switch barrels. What really seems to be very important are the two set screws on either side of the action where the barrel is threaded into the receiver. If this could be done, I could keep the 300 Weatherby Mag barrel for any future elk hunting but be able to shoot a 6.5 PRC or even a 7mm PRC at Long Range targets. My big question is can that Mark V Action be drilled and tapped on each side to be able to insert the set screws to lock the barrels. Is this even possible?

Personally, IF I were to have switch barrel, I would do QRW bases/rings and have a scope for each barrel. Also, I prefer the Mauser/Blaser switch barrel system for how easy it is, the lugs are in the barrel, not the receiver, but makes everything more expensive. So for now, I am sticking with, one rifle, one caliber/cartridge. When I burn out the barrel in one of my MKV, I might choose a different caliber.

Last edited:
I change scopes on rifles depending on the hunt. Not a big deal . After Boresight, i like 3 to 5 rounds at 50 yards, and again 3 to 5 rounds at 100 yds and I'm zeroed. Simple, easy and I enjoy it. The go over to the 200 yard and 300 yard range to make sure my math is still correct. I think the switch barrel concept is just very interesting. I'd like to try it, just once!! and since I very rarely shoot the Mark V in 300 Weatherby, that would a good rifle to play with. If it turns out to be a bad idea, I'll just put the original 300 Weatherby Mag barrel back on it, and it returns to being a nice elk rifle.

Attachments

• 300 Weatherby mag , in its wooden stock. Leupold Scope.JPG
    300 Weatherby mag , in its wooden stock. Leupold Scope.JPG
    626.8 KB · Views: 26
  • photo (13).JPG
    photo (13).JPG
    448.7 KB · Views: 28
I change scopes on rifles depending on the hunt. Not a big deal . After Boresight, i like 3 to 5 rounds at 50 yards, and again 3 to 5 rounds at 100 yds and I'm zeroed. Simple, easy and I enjoy it. The go over to the 200 yard and 300 yard range to make sure my math is still correct. I think the switch barrel concept is just very interesting. I'd like to try it, just once!! and since I very rarely shoot the Mark V in 300 Weatherby, that would a good rifle to play with. If it turns out to be a bad idea, I'll just put the original 300 Weatherby Mag barrel back on it, and it returns to being a nice elk rifle.
I think that wood is too beautiful for your switch barrel. It belongs on mine. I promise I will hunt with it 😍

Thank You Buddy, but tis is Weatherby stock you want!!! From The Weatherby Custom shop about 20/25 years ago. Never used. London oil finish by Griffen and Howe. Giant Elk or Kudu will just faint!!

Attachments

• IMG_3138.JPG
    IMG_3138.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 52
  • IMG_3143 (1).JPG
    IMG_3143 (1).JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 56
  • IMG_3144.JPG
    IMG_3144.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 59

Recent Posts