Can a Mark V action be made into a switch barrel action?

QC actions are extremely overrated

barrel vice and if you want a torque wrench. add wrench flats to the barrel and you need neither

besides that why you would ever want to drill and tap an action is wayyyy beyond me

Why just buy another (used?) Mark V rifle and either get a smaller caliber OR strip the barrel off and rebarrel in the caliber of choice.
I've never really understood the benefits of a switch barrel unless the action is some high end work of machining.
I recently had a good Rem 700 action rebarreled to a Shilen Alternut heavy contour barrel and the cost was around $700.

from what I can tell @MagnumManiac is doing like I and @b6graham are suggesting and just changing the barrel with a vise. He has a pinned recoil lug. That's the same way I'm running mine. IIRC the Mark V action already has an integral recoil lug.

I don't know if you will get away with leaving the action in the stock and optics on due to the way that action operates I don't think you can use a rear entry action wrench (could be wrong)

Why just buy another (used?) Mark V rifle and either get a smaller caliber OR strip the barrel off and rebarrel in the caliber of choice.
I've never really understood the benefits of a switch barrel unless the action is some high end work of machining.
I recently had a good Rem 700 action rebarreled to a Shilen Alternut heavy contour barrel and the cost was around $700.
You are missing the whole point. And seriously now, you are not putting the 700 action in the same class as the 9 lug MKV!

You are missing the whole point. And seriously now, you are not putting the 700 action in the same class as the 9 lug MKV!
Maybe he's missing the point but a point that hasn't been made is do you want to be married to that rifle/ action?
My REM700 started as a factory rifle and then a new stock, then a dbm, then a trigger, rail, truing, new barrel, bedding, recoil lug pinned etc.
If I could go back in time knowing what I know now I'd have sold that rifle the way it sat, went and bought a custom action and started fresh, I'd be lots of money ahead, something to consider.

jacob bynum demonstrating how incredibly simple this is

it doesn't need to be anywhere near as complicated as y'all are making this out to be. not even close.

you don't even need wrench flats. just get a cheap *** viper barrel vise. tighten it. and whack it.

Ignorant here, but can you convert any of the actions, weather a Mark V, an M70 or an R700 type to work just like the Mauser M03? Almost bought one of those, just didn't know what it truly was at the time.

Ignorant here, but can you convert any of the actions, weather a Mark V, an M70 or an R700 type to work just like the Mauser M03? Almost bought one of those, just didn't know what it truly was at the time.
I assume you are referring to control feed vs push feed and no you can't turn a push feed into a control feed. That's a totally different topic all together.
But if someone wanted to do that I'd have to ask why you'd want to?
with the only logical reason being dangerous game which then the answer is buy another rifle.

I assume you are referring to control feed vs push feed and no you can't turn a push feed into a control feed. That's a totally different topic all together.
But if someone wanted to do that I'd have to ask why you'd want to?
with the only logical reason being dangerous game which then the answer is buy another rifle.
No. The Mauser M03 is a switch barrel system with two bolts under the forearm. Loosen the bolts, remove barrel, replace barrel, tighten bolts

Not practically possible with an existing action…if designed as such, then yes.
A switch barrel, that is conventional, does not need any extra bolts, screws or locking devices. All of mine, except a take down, have the barrel screwed in by hand and then nipped up in a barrel vice using an action wrench. In fact, my target rifles, and the 264WM/7STW I pictured can be tightened by hand and shot that way, the precision is so good that the barrel does not come loose.
CRF or push feed make zero difference, even with the extractor notch some action designs require in the barrel tenon. It's no different to just re-barreling an action, you just need to square EVERYTHING up, bolt lugs, lug recesses, barrel shoulder and action ring etc.

Cheers.

Not practically possible with an existing action…if designed as such, then yes.
A switch barrel, that is conventional, does not need any extra bolts, screws or locking devices. All of mine, except a take down, have the barrel screwed in by hand and then nipped up in a barrel vice using an action wrench. In fact, my target rifles, and the 264WM/7STW I pictured can be tightened by hand and shot that way, the precision is so good that the barrel does not come loose.
CRF or push feed make zero difference, even with the extractor notch some action designs require in the barrel tenon. It's no different to just re-barreling an action, you just need to square EVERYTHING up, bolt lugs, lug recesses, barrel shoulder and action ring etc.

Cheers.
Thank you Tony! Always a wealth of knowledge!

Hi ASD and KEC, , Tony answered me and YES , he is a "Smith", who had made several switch barrel rifles. The only issue he lives is Australia! He recommended I find a smith here. I do have a Bench Rest Gunsmith in New jersey, but I do not think this work is in his aera. When I return to the range in a couple of months, I will ask the F class guys who they use. Several Bench rest guys change barrels match to match. I bet I will get two or three names. and I will share whatever I learn. I did explain to Tony that I want to keep the 26 inch #2 300 Weatherby Mag Barrel, with its sights and barrel band as is. I just wish to have a 26 inch 6.5 PRC for 1000 Yard fun shooting, and perhaps a local match once in a while. If and when I get the elk lottery tag in Pa, ,the 300 Wby. Mag barrel goes back on for the hunt., and barrel, action and scope all get dropped right back into the wood Weatherby stock. I think this could work!! If not, it wouldn't be the first dumb thing I ever did. Let me know what you guys find!!! Below are the two stocks I have for this rifle, the wood Weatherby stock and a Bell and Carlson stock from the 90's

Attachments

• 300 Weatherby mag , in its wooden stock. Leupold Scope.JPG
    300 Weatherby mag , in its wooden stock. Leupold Scope.JPG
    626.8 KB · Views: 30
  • photo (13).JPG
    photo (13).JPG
    448.7 KB · Views: 28
Hi ASD and KEC, , Tony answered me and YES , he is a "Smith", who had made several switch barrel rifles. The only issue he lives is Australia! He recommended I find a smith here. I do have a Bench Rest Gunsmith in New jersey, but I do not think this work is in his aera. When I return to the range in a couple of months, I will ask the F class guys who they use. Several Bench rest guys change barrels match to match. I bet I will get two or three names. and I will share whatever I learn. I did explain to Tony that I want to keep the 26 inch #2 300 Weatherby Mag Barrel, with its sights and barrel band as is. I just wish to have a 26 inch 6.5 PRC for 1000 Yard fun shooting, and perhaps a local match once in a while. If and when I get the elk lottery tag in Pa, ,the 300 Wby. Mag barrel goes back on for the hunt., and barrel, action and scope all get dropped right back into the wood Weatherby stock. I think this could work!! If not, it wouldn't be the first dumb thing I ever did. Let me know what you guys find!!! Below are the two stocks I have for this rifle, the wood Weatherby stock and a Bell and Carlson stock from the 90's
Lenny thanks for taking the time to let us know. I have talked with Tony many times in the past and I have great respect and appreciation for his knowledge and willingness to share.
Good luck with your project.