Can a Mark V action be made into a switch barrel action?

Lenny Foffa

This could solve an issue for me. If my Mark V Weatherby action, 9 lug. could be made into a switch barrel set up. The rifle is currently a 1970's factory stock 300 Weatherby Mag. 26-inch barrel, with Iron Sights and a barrel band , Mag na ported. I have seen the Videos of the Barbour Creek and other switch barrel rifles and how easy it seems to switch barrels. What really seems to be very important are the two set screws on either side of the action where the barrel is threaded into the receiver. If this could be done, I could keep the 300 Weatherby Mag barrel for any future elk hunting but be able to shoot a 6.5 PRC or even a 7mm PRC at Long Range targets. My big question is can that Mark V Action be drilled and tapped on each side to be able to insert the set screws to lock the barrels. Is this even possible?

* Also want to add I believe this style that "clamps" would be superior to set screws…just like the Forster die clamp rings being superior to the RCBS die set screw rings. Just my theory however, nothing to back it up as far as a switch barrel goes.

QC actions are extremely overrated

barrel vice and if you want a torque wrench. add wrench flats to the barrel and you need neither

besides that why you would ever want to drill and tap an action is wayyyy beyond me

Thank you all for your advice and opinions. I was hoping that the old Mark V Action could be modified to be able to easily accept new barrels, in calibers, that also use a magnum bolt face. Also keeping the long magazine, would be a plus. The Barbour Creek and U Tube videos make the barrel swap appear very simple, yet they are able to still maintain accuracy. It is also incredible to me that many show the barrel bring tightened by hand, and the opposing set screws seem to lock it. I do not know the amount of torque needed to seat the barrel to its proper position. Also I have since found West Texas Ordinance company that makes a Locking Ring that tightens against the action to secure the barrels. It would be interesting ( To me ) to be able to just unscrew a barrel, in one caliber, and replace it with a barrel in another caliber , while keeping the action, trigger , stock and Rings , Bases and Scope all in place. Interesting only if it is proven to be safe and reliable. I keep thinking " if it seems too good to be true , ect " Thanks again everyone. If this become a real project, I will share whatever I learn.

Yes, any action that uses a shouldered barrel, can be a switch barrel, but it cannot be made to just screw in prefits.
I used to build switch barrels on lots of actions, but each barrel must be fitted for headspace and then they can be swapped.
I have 2 Win Model 70 switch barrels, a standard length magnum bolt face and a magnum length magnum bolt face, then 2 Kimber's, a 84 and 8400, 5 Rem700's both standard LA and magnum, another RUM 700. Ruger M77 MK II, CZ 550 Safari Magnum with Rigby bolt face. Even have Sako L461 actions as switch barrels.
The easiest actions are those with integral recoil lugs…
Here's one of my Rem 700's.

Cheers.

Attachments

• IMG_2298.jpeg
    IMG_2298.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 109
  • IMG_2299.jpeg
    IMG_2299.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 102
  • IMG_2297.jpeg
    IMG_2297.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 103
This is excellent!! Can we communicate off this thread so I can discuss with you further? There seems to be very little interest in Mark V actions. Perhaps you could give me some pricing for a new barrel, cut to my action. A medium heavy, fluted 26 inch S/S barrel, with break, chambered in 6.5PRC would be where I would like to start. I may even purchase a synthetic stock for target shooting, so the Action with the heavy barrel would be bedded to its own stock. Later if I go to 300 PRC, a barrel of the same dimensions and length of the 6.5PRC barrel would be used in the target stock. When it came time to hunt Elk the factory 26 inch Blued Barrel, with Sights in 300 WBY , would be put back on the Mark V action and then placed back into its original wood Stock. Once the 6.6 PRC barrel is installed, the rifle will be used much more for LR target , then for elk hunting. Thank you for this great information.

This is excellent!! Can we communicate off this thread so I can discuss with you further? There seems to be very little interest in Mark V actions. Perhaps you could give me some pricing for a new barrel, cut to my action. A medium heavy, fluted 26 inch S/S barrel, with break, chambered in 6.5PRC would be where I would like to start. I may even purchase a synthetic stock for target shooting, so the Action with the heavy barrel would be bedded to its own stock. Later if I go to 300 PRC, a barrel of the same dimensions and length of the 6.5PRC barrel would be used in the target stock. When it came time to hunt Elk the factory 26 inch Blued Barrel, with Sights in 300 WBY , would be put back on the Mark V action and then placed back into its original wood Stock. Once the 6.6 PRC barrel is installed, the rifle will be used much more for LR target , then for elk hunting. Thank you for this great information.
I am interested to hear how your project pregresses. I have one MKV I in 300 WBY I might consider converting to other cartriges.
Good luck with the Project

Tag I'm interested. Thanks David