Calling All Owners of Kimber Hunter Rifles

If you blue print and true the action, re barrel to a heavier #3 or larger quality tube and do a good re bedding you'll have a 1/4 -3/8 moa 1/2 for sure rifle. Speaking from experience. 243Win., 270WSM, 30 Nosler. All good shooters after the work I'm talking about

Kimber rifles are like 6.0 Ford's, the good ones are great and the rest are a money pit .

What rifles should I look at other than the titkka?

I've been lucky with all 3 of my kimber rifles as they all shoot under an inch. The mountain accent 6.5 creedmoor shooting close to 1\2".

Cooper 92 backcountry is an outstanding rifle. I have 2

Thanks but that cooper isn't even in the same ball park price as the kimber hunter

Savage Lightweight Hunter always gets good reviews. 5.5 lbs with a 20" barrel. My wife shot a Lady hunter which is basically the same rifle in 243. It would put 5 in 1/2 MOA at 100 yards. She DRTed an antelope with it at 450 yards.

They make it with a very nice wood stock that people seem to like.

Timberelk,
I haven't owned a Kimber Hunter, but did own several Montana's in 84M, 84L and 8400 WSM, plus one classic stainless in 7mm08 and a Classic in 7WSM.
Of the 5 Montana's I had, one was finicky with bullets - a 7mm08 that shoot 120 or 140 grain bullets around 1.5" to 2" groups, but would put a 150 Nosler Ballistic Tip in 1/2". The other rifles weren't picky but I really didn't try a lot of loads - I just used them for hunting so worked up a load with a specific bullet and went hunting.
Twp of the 8400's I had were both 7 WSM's and I used factory Federal ammo in them, which shot at or under a 1" group. I bought that Federal ammo on sale for about $14/box when Midway closed it out, should have kept the rifles and the ammo...
Anyway, FWIW, I've had good success with them.

i have a kimber 308 hunter cut down and threaded to 16 inches....kimber hunter carbine....i absolutely love it...it fills the spot of the "one gun" in so many ways...when i mean one gun, i mean super sonic and subsonic...for this reason i chose 308 winchester...accuracy is superb with 178gr precision hunter hornady load...clover leaf groups st 100yrds croned at 2450 fps with a pretty tight average on speeds...blk hills 175gr smk and fggm 175smk had same poi and grouped right at 5/8"...corbon 185 gr fmjbt match subsonic grouped .75 moa and sound almost hollywood quiet....i topped it off with a leupy mark ar 3x9 mill dot...i have a custom turret for this load....this scope has 1/2 moa click value for a total of 30 moa per revolution...im not a fan of turning more than 1rev on the scope...at 2450 178gr eldx is no lazer...so far i can make consistent hits on 8" gong at 600 with ease...fyi there are better flater faster cartridges for long range no doubt....but few have good subsonic capability that im aware of...is the 308 the best 30 cal subsonic? not really, the blkout with faster twists of 1/7-1/8 compared to 1/10 on the 308 is better suited for heavy 200-240 gr pills....so far 185 gr corbon is stabilizing from the kimber i plan on loading some 174 max expansion lehigh projectiles in the future...there are many reasons i went with the kimber....one reason... im a huge pre 64 action fan

kimber hunter carbine 16" 308 win suppressor host...jack of all, and master of none...i chose this caliber because of my hunting style...i have been taking whitetails at long ranges in north west ok. for a couple of decades...i primarily use a 270win m70 classic stainless boss, a larado m70 boss in 300 wm, a 5rss r700 and others...these are probably better tools for the long range arena...however they don't seem to have subsonic capiblity of .308 bullet...i guess maby 300wm subsonic lol...i have owned a lot of different makes and models... there are some fine rifles by many makers...and some lemons too...however, im quite fond of the pre 64 action because it works... period...100percent reliability for me... ive logged many hunting hours in dusty windy dirty conditions...no failures to feed , extract, or cycle...and always sub moa accurate...this is a great confidence builder in the field....ive had other problems with feed and extraction on many other brands...

kimber hunter carbine...times have changed...in the mid 90s there was a booner behind every sage bush or cedar tree and the land owners would **** near pay you to come harvest some whitetails off there wheat crops...well the secret got out and now the land goes for 12 bucks an acre and finding a booner is like looking for the last unicorn...with a 80 percent drop in the harvest in that county...higher hunting pressure...roomers of bluetounge...oilfiled traffic... and drought...i decided to go to eastern ok where the numbers are better....this was the final straw in my decision to go 308 win...if i wasn't shooting subsonics and still hunting prairie i would have gone with 6.5 creed or 7mm 08...however i wouldn't hesitate to take this rig on the prairie...is it a magnum...no...but with the cds system i can still make confident hits on kill size target out to 600 yds so far...if i do my part on the wind

I can't believe it! Whitetail regulator ! How could any of us made it any farther without your guidance? Do you have an address where we can send our money $ ?

my kimber carbine shoots stupid accurate...but all groups are shot 1 shot at a time, alloud to cool, cool to the touch, then shoot again...using this method worked extremely well for me...im a hunter, not a target shooter...during prolonged shooting the barrel did have some stringing...i tried multiple different loads...the worst things opend up was about 11/4" i later that ammo went 5/8" when shot cool...still for a light weight sporter carbine weighing in right a 6 lbs scoped im totally stoked...

kimber hunter carbine in 308 win is also super versatile on projectile weights from reduced recoil 125gr for youth or wife or jump up to 178gr eldx for deer or mabe even larger game...i believe it could be used for elk given the proper shot placement and consertive ranges...once again, is it the best tool for the job? no...but will it get the job done in a pinch? id have to believe it will...excellent go to ,compact ,light weight ,versatile, aaccurate, reliable, all weather, design great for carry on stocks, works great in tight blinds or shooting boxes and helps shorten the over all legnth of the gun when adding a supressor ...when the scope does the drop for you, i don't really care about speed...so what is a few extra clicks...don't get me wrong...i like fast flat cartridges too ....and sometimes there is wind to concider but the 308 out performed the 7mm08 and 6.5creed when shot out of 16 in barrels...by far in the ft lb department using 178gr eldx at 2450 with a lil bit more drop and wind ...not tring to start an argument just showing what my numbers crunch for 16" carbine...308 i believe to be more versatile and efficient in that length. some may perfer the 6.5 creed or 7mm08 or simply a longer barrel in 308 ... but this is the combination i have came up with to be a supersonic ,subsonic do all "one gun" jack of all and master of none...

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.