Calling all gunsmiths

Crooked chambers can be fixed too. You use a boring bar and straighten the walls. Then the reamer will run straight. Shep

I had this problem years ago, and a gunsmith that I trust determined that the chamber was too big around. The cartridges also did not expand the same all the way around ( the bulge was more evident on one side ) because the cartridge way laying in the bottom of the oversized chamber when it was fired. All the excess space was above the cartridge, and when it fired the case head was pushed against the bolt face, and the brass flowed in the only direction it could go. Hence, the expansion of the case walls was asymmetrical ( relative to the case head ) but still round. This can also be caused by the extractor pulling the case to one side of the oversized chamber. In either instance, the cartridge case will have a bulge that shows more on one side than the other.

The rifle I had with this problem also had a headspace problem, so the chamber was just too big in every direction. It was a 30-06 Ackley, and factory loads would often not even fire. I had the situation remedied, but the gunsmith had to set the barrel back several threads to get rid of the too-large diameter. The only thing good about the original chamber was that it was straight. A crooked chamber isn't something that could be cleaned up by simply setting it back and re-chambering - the reamer will follow the old crooked chamber.

When I first noticed the problem, I did a quick & dirty check by wrapping scotch tape around a factory-sized case. My chamber would swallow one with 2 turns of tape around it ( just ahead of the extractor groove.) When I told the guy who built the rifle about it, he told me that I was full of it, and refused to deal with it. Needless to say, I don't deal with him anymore.

Gunsmiths like that JackWagon are the ones that need to have their names published as well as their employer so the buying public can be forewarned.
Think of it as being a public service.
OTOH, if the gunsmith works for a business not his own, perhaps speaking to management and providing proof positive of an error on the part of the gunsmith MIGHT get your problem resolved or at least your hard-earned money back.

Still need to set it back a little. Unless your going bigger. Like 06 to 300wm. Plenty of room to straighten it out.

Gunsmiths like that JackWagon are the ones that need to have their names published as well as their employer so the buying public can be forewarned.
Think of it as being a public service.
OTOH, if the gunsmith works for a business not his own, perhaps speaking to management and providing proof positive of an error on the part of the gunsmith MIGHT get your problem resolved or at least your hard-earned money back.

The guy had his own gun building business, and he was very well known at the time. He was one of those guys they used to write up in the shooting & hunting magazines, and you would probably recognize the name. The chamber wasn't his only screw-up, either. He also put a 26" barrel on the rifle, when I had specified 24". "No problem." he said. "Send it back and I'll fix it." When he called to say it was ready, he also said that I owed him a bunch of money for the shortening and re-crowning of the barrel. As soon as my check clears, he'll ship it to me. I told him what I thought about paying him to fix his own errors, he informed me that he was going to hold my rifle hostage until I paid the ransom. Needless to say, I have nothing good to say about this jerk, and have not dealt with him since then.

If you don't see a ring in the inside it could be a surface flaw on the chamber wall. Have you actually had a separation yet. Case head separation is almost always a headspace too long issue. Have you measured case datum to base on fired and non fired brass. Shep

Everyone of you pushing to excessive head space and large chamber need to read. He gave measurements. They are within spec. Good luck OP I have no clue how you are supposed to sift through the guys that have no clue comments.

Well I did read the beginning that's how I started with suggestions. Just because his rifles chamber has the right headspace doesn't mean his reloads do. He did state how much setback there was only how much he was reducing the diameter. I've been a professional gunsmith for over 30 yrs and I really try and help people with issues. I don't always correct other people's stupid answers unless it's a safety issue. So if you set the brass back too far it creates excessive headspace. Just exactly what I ask him before your stupid response. So you must know better than everyone else. You help from here on out. Shep

Everybody was playing nice. But then you got guys that complain about the help the op is getting while offering no solutions. One in every room. Shep

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.