Buying a jewel a mistake?

aj427ci

Well I have been working with my new sendero all spring and pretty much have the load figured out. But the very inconsistent Xmark pro trigger has to go. I ordered a jewel today (this is my primary hunting rifle). Is the jewel really worth the extra hundred bucks over the timney? I know this has been beat to death but is the jewel going to be dependable in the field?

I believe it is. Every rifle I own wears a Jewell trigger and I've never had a single problem. I clean them with lighter fluid every now and then, as usage dictates, and use canned air to dry them.

I believe it is. Every rifle I own wears a Jewell trigger and I've never had a single problem. I clean them with lighter fluid every now and then, as usage dictates, and use canned air to dry them.

I agree - BUT do not ignore the fact that they need to be kept clean - been there done that. I really like the Jewell triggers but will not buy another one for hunting. The timney may not be as fancy but it'll function long after the Jewell starts acting up.

It really depends on the type of elements/conditions that you put your rifle through and how often you you are willing to keep your trigger clean.

The only problem with buying your first Jewel trigger is what doc7mm said, once you have one you will end up with one on every rifle you own, I now own 11 of them, what can I say, they are just nice, no creep and the break at what you set them at EVERY time.

Dave

I have used both Jewels and Timney triggers for many years on several different rifles. I ended up using my Jewels for Benchrest competition and the Timneys on my LR hunting rigs. I never drop below 2-3 pounds of pull on my hunting rifles. For this work I feel no difference between the two but as mentioned, the Timneys are bulletproof, well designed, and have never required any service, maintaining their weight perfectly. They are a good value. IMO.

I installed my jewel last night and it is a great trigger... $100.00 better not sure yet. Time will tell.

I am also a big Jewel trigger fan and have never been disappointed with them.

I also use Timney triggers on some rifles that Jewel does not make triggers for and have not been disappointed with them either.

There are several things that I like about the jewel triggers over all others. The ability to change springs for best range of spring tension for the weight you want instead of having one spring that is used for the entire weight range. they also have an extra link in the sear system that makes them very safe when set very light. And the last thing is the way they brake when pulled.(Like glass).

As far as needing more care, Any trigger is a delicate instrument and should be kept clean to function properly. So clean all triggers no mater what brand they are.

PS: the Jewel can be set without having to remove the barreled action from the stock. (Some triggers will change trigger pull after replacing the stock ) and with the adjustment for the trigger pull weight accessible through the trigger guard, this never happens.

You wont be sorry.

J E CUSTOM

I loved the Jewell trigger I had. Absolutely spectacular. When I sent the rifle to a gunsmith to have the rifle rebarreled he cautioned me against using the Jewell in a dedicated hunting rifle. He is involved with lots of competitions and said they will fail if not kept clean. I never had an issue myself but, having heard it before, I went with a Timney Calvin Elite on my three rifles all set at 14 oz.

I keep my rifles very clean, and carry a small cleaning kit in my pack. I'll put it through the paces this year. I'll make my decision about it then I suppose.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.