Bushnell 3200 10x40mm Tactical scope

Ian M

Received this little scope and did some initial testing at the range. First impressions - small overall size, nicely finished, heavy-duty turrets with pretty nice snap (clickyness?@?#?) to them, focus ring on the eyepiece, no parallax adjustmen, turrets glued on apparently, some kind of shiny black stuff around the base.
Ran the adjustmets four or five time, top to bottom, l to r and they were decent. Windage more snap than the elevation.

Mounted it in MK4 rings and went to the range, took an NXS off one of my pet's (Lilja barreled 40x, A-2, Near base) and had it zeroed in three shots - more good luck than skill - forgot my boresighter...

Shooting Federal 168 Match GM ammo. I zero'e the turrets and fired one shot at 100 yards.
Then I ran the elevation knob down to the bottom - this took 20 3/4 moa. Then I ran it back up to the 100 yd zero and fired another shot.
Repeated this upward - took 58 1/2 moa, then back down and fired another shot.
Repeated this process to the left - 50 1/2 moa, back to zero and fired a round.
Repeated to the right, 25 1/2 moa and back to zero and another shot.

Did this twice with two different shooters, both accumulated groups were perfected centered and measured 0.607, 0.652. Rifle will shoot better, we each called one shot slightly out and the calls were accurate.

Elevation Total 79.25 moa
Windage Total 76.0 moa
This is close, depends how much you want to push the twisting.

Shooting impressions. It ain't an NXS, but then it costs about 1/5 or less. Picture was sharp and bright - crosshairs seemed to jump at you. When you really concentrated on the aiming mark it went a little soft, crosshair stayed sharp. Did not seem to be a big deal, we had several 3-shot groups in the 3's and 4's.
So far, this little scope is what I had hoped it would be. Fairly good optics, dandy turret and the most reasonable price. Not junk. Might be a great entry level scope, gets you Mil-dots (round).
Hope this is of interest, will keep testing as I did not finish today.
ian

Ian

I am interested in this scope.

I wonder can you tell answer the following queries.

1) What is the parallex free range at which the scope is set.
2) Have parallex problems been difficult in the 50 - 200 yard range.
3) Also what is the max range you hope to use this scope?
4) Can the parallex free range be reset by unscrewing the objective lens ring and then turning the lens housing?

I enjoyed your rewiew.

Kindest regards

I regret that I have not had the 3200 out at long range - yet. Will do that very shortly and will get back with those pertinent questions.
Have only shot it a one shot at both 25 and 50 yards during sighting-in and was able to focus on the target OK.
Regarding question #4 - the eyepiece (ocular) is not movable as with most scopes, there is no lock ring where it connects to the main tub. Only the rearward section turns to allow a degree of focusing.
As for #3, with almost 80 moa of adjustment and ten power, we could shoot this scope out well past 1000 with a .308, much further with something flatter shooting. One of my pet loads requires 44 moa at 1100 with the .308 Win. The scope zeroed with almost 60 moa remaining so that would enable twenty more minutes of "up".
Will give some more info after we shoot the scope out long re parallax and sharpness out past 700 yards.
Can tell you that everyone who has seen it is very impressed, particularly for the money it sells for.
ian

Ian,
Maybe I can help out a little. Just came back from the range today. Used the scope out to 300 yards (range limit) on my Savage 10P .308. Finished zeroing at 100 as I had only shot it at 25 to get it on paper.
Optics are clear and bright, clicks are a little bit "mushy" but not bad. Tracked perfectly back and forth from 100, 200 and 300 yard targets and two different loads.
For the money it is a major deal!
Don't know what the parallax is set at but wasn't a problem at these ranges.
Will shoot it at another range in a couple of weeks out to 1000 yards and will report back, but for now it's going prairie doggin on the Fourth. Hope they like my fireworks!!!
grin.gif

Chris

We shot the little Bushnell Tactical on a good shooting .308 Win. recently. Scope performed perfectly.
Shooting at 700 yards the image was very crisp. Parallax - no problem so far, cannot see any significant amount at the long distances. Turrets continue to work perfectly. I hit a 6" steel plate at 680 yards and could easily quarter it, good sharapness and brightness.

Just got mine a few weeks back and have been using it on a 308. Love the target knobs and overal appearance of the scope. I did have to play with the focus at the different ranges but the image is quite crisp at long range. There is a little edge distortion but the center is great. Can resolve a pop can at 700yds.

The only down side is the amount of each click. It is more the 1/4" or 1/4 MOA. It is consistent and repeatable, just more. I am just going to use the "clicks" on the scope to do up my drop table so this will not be a problem.

On the positive, adjustments have been very linear (elev. goes straight up, wind. horizontal) and repeatable. Reticle is very clear and fine. Covers that pop can at 700yds. I got about 75min of elev and 50min of windage. Didn't crank the knobs too hard either.

For the money, I will rate this scope a great buy. Durability still needs to be proven but being an Elite scope, I am sure it will be fine. An excellent entry level tactical and long range scope.

Jerry

I have had the opportuntity to test six of these scopes now and they continue to perform well. In addition I have checked out another six so have been able to look through a good sample. A local dealer has been selling them like hotcakes and several guys that I shoot with have bought them. I have two myself.

As Jerry mentioned, some of the scopes move slightly more than 1 moa when four clicks are applied, but the distance is constant. If you count clicks or record the particular come-up for a given distance that is OK, but it does screw up using established drop charts supplied by some ammo makers. In other words a 12 minute come-up for 500 yards with a .308 Win. might only by ll.0 or 11 1/4.
I have also seen one scope that did not have the full amount of adjustment that the others average, I would have sent it back or got it exchanged.

Several guys that I know have put these scopes on a variety of varmint and LR rifles and they are all completely happy.
A while back 700 asked the following questions:
a. What is the parralax free range - I still don't know, we have shot out to 1000 without experiencing significant parallax problems. This also answers the question about 50 to 200 as we initially sight-in at 25 and can see the paper OK.
c. Max range - we are getting about 55 minutes of elevation left after the scope is zeroed at 100 yards. That would make for a hell of a long distance with any LR caliber.
d. Screwing the eyepiece - the eyepiece does not unscrew (there is no lock-ring as in most scopes) but there is a European style eyepiece focusing ring that will sharpen the image at various distance. Seems to sharpen the crosshair also but this is not working like a true parallax adjustment.

This is a good entry-level scope for LR. It provides an excellent turret and Mil-dots. Will it hold up to a lot of use and abuse - only time will tell. It comes with a lifetime warrantee so that should be a comfort. Sells for $189 U.S. (SWFA) or $289-$350 Canadian.

Mike,
I doubt that the 3200 would last very long on a .50. It is a decent little scope but I do not think that they had .50's in mind when they designed it.
Just my thoughts, have not heard of anyone putting one on a .50.

Ian, Chris and Jerry

Thank you for your opinions on this little scope.

Mine just arrived today and I am very impressed with the build vs price.

Hope to try it out in the coming weeks.

Rgds

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.