NIKON 2.5-10x44 TACTICAL SCOPE

Ian M

I received one of the production scopes today and it looks great. Very crisp and bright image, snappy turrets, solid weight, excellent finish, nice grip on the turret "handles", certificate for a free Mildot Master. Of special interest was the mildot manual as it is my first entry into the field of writing instruction manuals for scopes.

Will slap some Badgers on this puppy and start shooting it, have some definite shooting plans since I will finally get my hands on the new .30 cal. bonded Hornady's tomorrow, will start to work up some loads sap.

Completely different turrets than the image in the Nikon Tactical section at SWFA - much better. If anyone wants to see what these new scopes look like I can send a jpeg to someone who might know how to post it on this forum.
http://www.swfa.com/riflescopes/nikon/index.html

Chris,
Counted the clicks this afternoon, they have bumped the turrets up a bit from the prototypes that I tested over the last year.
Total Elevation from zero - 105 MOA
Total Windage - 104.5 MOA

The more clicks the better, if it ever quits snowing and gets near zero I will test repeatability and click values.

By the way, these scopes have a unique mildot design that incorporates tiny 1/2 mil markers, somewhat similar to the Gen 2 from Premiere but not the same as there are no other reference marks on the posts.

I do not understand why someone cannot put eight freeking index marks between each dot so that we do not have to estimate 1/10's, would sure simplify the deed.

More I use mildots the more I like S1's idea of using inches.

How is the Glass in the tactical? Does it compare to the LPS? I like the turrets but for that price range it better be better than there standard glass. I have been dying to look through one of these. I will be getting the Nikon or the LPS what one has better glass I will buy.

Frank,
I do not have an LPS to compare to, matter of fact it would be much better for you to do the comparing since it is your decision and money. I hope that you can find a shop with both scopes in stock.
Although they might be priced similarly they are apples and oranges. LPS is a hunting scope, Nikon is for LR Hunting use and tactical as in law enforcement sniper use. The big difference externally is the big turrets on the Nikon, no covers, easiy adjusted even with gloves on. This makes for a bulkier scope. They both have parallax turrets now, that is a plus for the LPS as they did not a few years back.
Nikon has mildots, LPS has duplex reticle. They are both very good scopes, don't envy your decision. Depends if you want and need turrets, I would expect that the optical quality should be very close. Both companies are competing for service reputation, Nikon has to emulate Leupold from that perspective, I have had great service from both. Good luck.

Although I don't have a Nikon Tactical, I just purchased a Nikon Gold. It has a duplex type reticle,2.5-10x50, 30mm tube with 80 inches of adjustment,locking side-focus,and finger adjustable turrets which are easily resettable to zero.I debated for quite some time also. Looked at many LPS scopes.IMHO the optics are neck-and-neck. A toss-up.

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.