Burris XTR3 3-18 durability

7.62 Gunner

I'm trying to get some feedback on tracking/durability for the Burris XTR3 3-18.
Has anyone on here been running one, and put it through the ringer a little?

I was going to buy one of the 3.3-18x XTRIII scopes but decided not to due to too many reported below average glass comments and impossible to see the reticle on low magnification especially the USA non Illuminated version in clearance and bought a 5.5-30x Illuminated Filipino version instead specifically for the better glass and easier to see reticle and if course the 2 color red and green Illumination. I haven't received it yet probably mid next week.

I bought a Vortex Strike Eagle 3-18x44 FFP 34mm on sale for $499 when I was looking for another light weight 34mm scope and so far it's been fantastic and exceeded my expectations and I actually am not a fan of the Chinese Vortex scopes due to their lower end Chinese models not having good QC based on my own experiences but I would recommend this specific Strike Eagle though it's been trouble free so far. It's their newest one. More than 150MOAs of total elevation travel and only weighs around 27 ounces. Glass is better than average on par with an Athlon Midas Tac. FFP reticle is surprisingly easy to see on low magnification unlike the Burris. The rev stop zero stop limit is 2 revs like the Leupold ZL2 dial but seems like Vortex has more travel I think a little more than 60 MOAs. Use it without the rev limiter to get the whole 150+ MOA total elevation travel. Focus Camera or DVOR or sometimes Optics Planet have cheap sales and also A&A refurbished $499. Only negative is the Illumination does not have off in between the numbers.

I was also going to try the new Primary Arms GLx Filipino 3-18x but found out the glass was not so great and impossible to see the reticle on low magnification.

I was also going to buy the Element Optics Titan 3-18x but weight was too heavy and reports of turrets seizing up after uae with no warranty help from Element Optics who told literally told them to fix it themselves.

I was also going to buy the Athlon Ares ETR 3-18x but their warranty isn't as good as they used to be. Lately they seem to deny warranty repair or replacement for brand new defective straight out of the box scopes. Something over at Athlon Optics must have definitely changed recently.

I have my own Burris reservations after reading forums about how some customers actually got screwed over by Burris. Even the BBB has an unfavorable complaint regarding such warranty practices. After reading what I read I wouldn't recommend buying a USA made Burris from their current or recent lineup. This is why I chose to buy a new Filipino one and reports seem favorable with customers stating they feel it's better quality than the US made ones.

If you're curious about the QC on Burris top of the line USA made XTR PRO go read Snipershide about a disgruntled customer who received multiple replacement scopes from Burris warranty department that were all less than satisfactory.

Haven't put it through the wringer, but there's YouTube videos of people who have.

I love the glass, though. Was shooting next to someone with a NX8 the other day. We traded back and forth and both wound up liking the xtr3 the best.

Yes, crosshairs tough to find at 3x. It's a FFP scope made for precision shooting. If you're jumping stuff out of the brush and doing offhand shots, there's better choices.

Yeah I saw some reviews about QC issues.. **** though the price seemed great, guess I'll have to look harder at the LRHS2. The lack of illumination turned me off initially

Haven't put it through the wringer, but there's YouTube videos of people who have.

I love the glass, though. Was shooting next to someone with a NX8 the other day. We traded back and forth and both wound up liking the xtr3 the best.

Yes, crosshairs tough to find at 3x. It's a FFP scope made for precision shooting. If you're jumping stuff out of the brush and doing offhand shots, there's
Well I'm sure glad it beats the NX8! I had one and it was terrible for a $2000 optic, I've used $600 scopes that were better.

Yeah I saw some reviews about QC issues.. **** though the price seemed great, guess I'll have to look harder at the LRHS2. The lack of illumination turned me off initially
Bushnell is a real doozy in regards to customer complaints. Probably THE worst. I simply couldn't believe what I read and they are actually still open for business. Unbelievable...

Well I'm sure glad it beats the NX8! I had one and it was terrible for a $2000 optic, I've used $600 scopes that were better.
Lemme guess Arken EP5s I recently bought 2 and holey crap they're great unbelievable way better than my friends older EP5s which had terrible glass. The newest ones are crystal clear all the way to maximum magnification. Compared them to my Tract Toric ELR 4.5-30x56 and they are optically close I still can't believe it. Chromatic aberration on high magnification about tied. Arken has far superior turrets. The eyebox is huge and ultra wide sight picture is far better than the Tract Toric ELR and Athlon Cronus that cost 4x the price. Worth trying out and if you don't like it return within 30 days for a refund. I'm definitely buying more of the new EP5s to replace my Athlons and Bushnells. I may even sell my last Tract Toric ELR after this. I like the newest Arken EP5 better than the Nightforce ATACR 5-25x believe it or not.

They aren't as good as my Vortex Razor Gen 3 or Element Optics Theos though.

The Glasses are underrated, I couldn't say they are Vortex but they are comparable. i really enjoy using it and it zeros are it should. No regrets.

I run multiple Burris XTRII and XTRIII scopes on PRS rigs. I slammed a Burris XTRIII 3.3-18 scope (the actual scope - not my rifle) into a PRS barricade and got significant zero change. Rezero'ed and finished match. Sent that Burris XTRIII to Burris and the replaced it promptly with a Burris XTRIIIi 3.3-18. Still running my XTRII and XTRIII scopes.

I will say you will get very good support from Burris, I have a XTR II on my AR10 and it has held up very well, I have no complaints and it has been jostled and knocke around around quite a bit. Like a few have mentioned, I have moved over to the Vortex, just got a good deal on a Strike eagle a while back and then on a Razor LHT and a Viper(jury still out on it but so far so good), so far they have all held up well warranty is air tight. Burris shop is up in Greeley Colorado if you have any issues give them a call, nice folks. If I needed another scope and got a good deal on a Burris XTR II or III` I would purchase another.

I received my XTR3i 5.5-30x56 and first thing I noticed was the unusually high chromatic aberration. I am not sure if it's normal and if all XTR3i scopes are like this but even my new budget priced Arken EP5s don't have this much noticeable chromatic aberration on high magnification.

I received my XTR3i 5.5-30x56 and first thing I noticed was the unusually high chromatic aberration. I am not sure if it's normal and if all XTR3i scopes are like this but even my new budget priced Arken EP5s don't have this much noticeable chromatic aberration on high magnification.
Man you're not the first person who's said that, I did a ton of researching and ultimately decided to order a DMR3 to run on my match rifle.
They have a bomber reputation for durability, tracking, and glass quality.
Bushnell offers a Mil/LEO discount BTW and it's worth pursuing if you qualify.