Burris XTR3 vs Vortex LHT

Wy Will

I am looking to buy either the Burris XTR3i 5.5-30x56 or the Vortex Razor LHT 4.5-22x50. Wanted to know if anyone has compared the two or any pros/cons.

I know the LHT is a bit lighter weight and wonder if that is at a compromise of quality or features. Going on a 300PRC hunting rifle, so weight does matter. Plan to use out to 800 yards. Maybe even stretch to 1K.

I appreciate your input.

I don't have an XTR3 yet, but I have a Veracity and XTR2. Both I really like. I don't have the Vortex to compare, but I would say go XTR3. I have a Vortex Viper HSLR and i am not impressed. I like my Burris that are in a comparable price range much better.

Check Natchez or Europtics. Both have Burris deals right now.

I have owned both. They are each different animals. I am now running XTR 3's on both of my hunting rigs. I tried the LHT on a custom 7RM that I built with the goal of being lightweight, but it just didn't suit my liking.

The XTR's are much more robust with heavy turrets with positive clicks. The LHT's turrets are smaller and a bit mushy. The Burris obviously weighs a noticeable amount more that the LHT, but I am willing to sacrifice weight here. The vortex glass is very good, In my opinion, just slightly better than the Burris. The burris has a little CA that is most noticeable when looking at a white target or snow, but I find it to be minimal and the glass overall on the Burris is worlds better than the XTR2 that I owned. I had trouble with the parallax adjustment on the LHT - it just never seemed to dial in correctly and the yardage wasn't close to where it should be. I like the higher magnification scopes for those days when you are hiking in without a spotter. Sometimes I have found it useful in mule deer county for judging racks at long distance. The 56mm objective lets in quite a bit more light than the vortex 50mm, but the vortex is also much bigger and bulkier than the Vortex bit it feels like it will last longer and the turrets are solid.

Overall if you are looking to keep everything light and more compact for hunting the Vortex fits this niche well. It is a decent valued lightweight scope. However, if you are like me and enjoy shooting long range, rocks, varmints, and steel all the time. and you don't mind hanging an extra 10-12 ounces on your rifle, then the Burris is probably your best choice.

I am a guy who normally doesn't spend top dollar, but i want the best bang for my buck. Both of these scopes serve their intended purpose well. Before you make your purchase just understand that one is big and bulky and the other is not…Have fun with your new scope.

I'd really like to know what you decide.
I'm actually looking at both right now as well.
The discounts on ExpertVoice have the Burris at $870 and the razor at $1199.
That's mainly why I'm leaning toward the Burris.

I've got a XTR2 and two LHT. The lht was purchased for a lighter hunting rifle. The glass in it is awesome. I have not looked through a XTR3, but its noticeably better then the XTR2. The XTR2 is definitely built like a tank, though my turrets are stupid stiff.

Had both an xtrIII 3.3-18 and the vortex Razor LHT 4.5-22 on my wife's 7 max hunting rifle. For the price of the burris now, they are a great deal. The vortex is more money, but still worth it imo. They both have a similar feature set.

Being ffp and not illuminated was not the best combo when timber hunting elk on low magnification, the vortex is better in that arena, being illuminated. The vortex also had slightly better glass in both of our opinions, however both were plenty for long range use. I used my wife's rifle with the Burris on it to take a cow elk at 1032 shortly after first light, and was not hindered by it, though I do like the extra magnification of the vortex.

The Burris had a more tactical feel, the vortex more hunting. Turrets on both are fine, the vortex having a little less feel, but I don't care if a turret is a little mushy, I don't dial my scope by brail, I look at it. Your needs may be different for something like PRS. The lines match up well on both and both were repeatable. I like the turret design of the vortex better for hunting, lifting, turning and locking wherever. We zero our rifles at 100, but while out hunting, dial them to MPBR (up about 2-2.5 MOA), so if we come up on a elk at 250, we don't have to mess with zero, just shoot. For this, the vortex is a better design.

Obviously the vortex is lighter. It also has the more common 30mm tube, vs 34, which slightly limits some mounts. Not a big deal, but something to be aware of.

The one part that I really liked about the xtriii, is it was built in USA.

Overall, her rifle now wears the Vortex. The extra weight of the burris and it's mount made it a good bit heavier for my wife, the feature set between the two is similar enough, and for hunting use, the vortex is a little better in these aspects - better glass, illuminated, better turret design.

This will go on a browning x bolt long range.
I've not mounted a 34mm tube with 56mm objective before. Will it require extra high rings?

I am looking to buy either the Burris XTR3i 5.5-30x56 or the Vortex Razor LHT 4.5-22x50. Wanted to know if anyone has compared the two or any pros/cons.

I know the LHT is a bit lighter weight and wonder if that is at a compromise of quality or features. Going on a 300PRC hunting rifle, so weight does matter. Plan to use out to 800 yards. Maybe even stretch to 1K.

I appreciate your input.
I have an LHT on a 300 win Mag, I have a Burris XTR II my only issue with the Burris is the weight and the glass could be better. I have not bought an XTR III. The Vortex has better glass the weight is considerable less than my XTR II, I have no complaints with either Scope, both track well. I saw the XTR III scope you are considering for sale for $1319 on DVOR this morning. I also have a leupold Mark V that I like between the Vortex and the Mark V they are very close. Another Scope that is on my radar is the Zeiss LRPs.

This will go on a browning x bolt long range.
I've not mounted a 34mm tube with 56mm objective before. Will it require extra high rings?
Absolutely not. I ran the 3.3-18x50 with Hawkins low (.885) rings on a 20 MOA rail, with medium Palma short shanked barrel, sits like this. -
Screenshot_20230703-201711_Gallery.jpg

So the 5.5-30x56 would likely do fine with medium (1.0") Hawkins rings, and maybe even the lows.

I'd really like to know what you decide.
I'm actually looking at both right now as well.
The discounts on ExpertVoice have the Burris at $870 and the razor at $1199.
That's mainly why I'm leaning toward the Burris.
Liberty Optics is having 52.5% off most all Vortex products til the end of today. The wait is probably a bit longer since they typically have limited items in stock. Really good discount though.

Had both an xtrIII 3.3-18 and the vortex Razor LHT 4.5-22 on my wife's 7 max hunting rifle. For the price of the burris now, they are a great deal. The vortex is more money, but still worth it imo. They both have a similar feature set.

Being ffp and not illuminated was not the best combo when timber hunting elk on low magnification, the vortex is better in that arena, being illuminated. The vortex also had slightly better glass in both of our opinions, however both were plenty for long range use. I used my wife's rifle with the Burris on it to take a cow elk at 1032 shortly after first light, and was not hindered by it, though I do like the extra magnification of the vortex.

The Burris had a more tactical feel, the vortex more hunting. Turrets on both are fine, the vortex having a little less feel, but I don't care if a turret is a little mushy, I don't dial my scope by brail, I look at it. Your needs may be different for something like PRS. The lines match up well on both and both were repeatable. I like the turret design of the vortex better for hunting, lifting, turning and locking wherever. We zero our rifles at 100, but while out hunting, dial them to MPBR (up about 2-2.5 MOA), so if we come up on a elk at 250, we don't have to mess with zero, just shoot. For this, the vortex is a better design.

Obviously the vortex is lighter. It also has the more common 30mm tube, vs 34, which slightly limits some mounts. Not a big deal, but something to be aware of.

The one part that I really liked about the xtriii, is it was built in USA.

Overall, her rifle now wears the Vortex. The extra weight of the burris and it's mount made it a good bit heavier for my wife, the feature set between the two is similar enough, and for hunting use, the vortex is a little better in these aspects - better glass, illuminated, better turret design.
Just so you know, the new XTRIIIs are all illuminated.

There really don't seem to be many negative reviews on either one except concerns with a flimsy on/off switch on the vortex.
Matter of preference I guess.
Ford/chevy.

Recent Posts