Bullets sticking in seating plug

You could look and see if there would be a better fitting seating stem. Not sure what change in stem would for sure be needed as it depends on the bullet you're seating, but going to a VLD type stem vs. the stock version could alleviate the issue if you're loading long nosed type bullets. Otherwise what I've done was polish the existing stem by simply sacrificing 1 bullet and chucking it up in a drill, then wrapped it with small amount of 000 steel wool, and applied some JB Bore Brite, then just kind of went to town. My goal wasn't in regards to sticking bullets but was intended to improve bullet fit and concentricity while seating. I think it made a moderate improvement in concentricity but more in bullet fit. Polished up like a mirror and Ive never see a mark on a seated bullet since doing it.

I'm kind of new to a lot of this but I thought when you bought new brass you de burred the necks inside and out and flash holes , checked the primmer pockets for depth sized it with a full length die trimmed it to the proper length then loaded it as new brass is just kind of the right size but then I don't know for sure what the steps should be .

I'm kind of new to a lot of this but I thought when you bought new brass you de burred the necks inside and out and flash holes , checked the primmer pockets for depth sized it with a full length die trimmed it to the proper length then loaded it as new brass is just kind of the right size but then I don't know for sure what the steps should be .

In that scenario I too would feel like it should be about right and if not I would need to check my resizing setup. The issue here, as I understand, is in regards to the bullets sticking in the seating stem.

It seems to me that in the case of the bullet sticking in the seating stem that you might need to clean up the seating stem and make sure that it is smooth and that sizing the brass would make sure that you have enough neck tension to hold the bullet in the brass to pull it out of the seating stem . Would it be alright to put some sort of wax that set up to slicken up the bullet seater and not leave it oily or gummy like waxing your car ?

Either I'm confused or some of you are confused.

The bullet isn't being pulled from the case by the seating stem. The stem sticks but pops loose from the bullet when retracted.

Either I'm confused or some of you are confused.

The bullet isn't being pulled from the case by the seating stem. The stem sticks but pops loose from the bullet when retracted.

The bullet stays in the seating stem when seating bullets. So yes it is seated in the cases, compresses the powder down and then stays in the stem when the ram is raised. Lapping compound will be here tomorrow and I will polish up the seating stem. I have the standard stem and the one made for VLD bullets. Same thing happens with both. I have .002 to .003 of neck tension. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that about right?

.002"-.003" is more than I use, but is perfectly fine.
As I said, polishing the leading edge will stop this.
Grab the bullet you are using, wrap 600 grit around it and force it into the seater plug while spinning and polish it, keep this stem for THOSE BULLETS.
I have had to do this often with certain bullets. No amount of neck tension would stop them being pulled out by the seater plug, the above has worked every time.

Cheers.

Where's the powder level in the neck of the case? You might find the compressed load is "rebounding" after the bullet is seated. Otherwise, plenty of good info above.

Just barely into the neck. A good bit of the bullet is seated before it makes contact with and starts compressing the powder.

what bullets are you loading and how deep are you seating them the only compressed loads I can think of might be 125 grain or similar using varget at 50 grains

My .02c worth. I suggest tightening the neck tension. I use a Sinclair neck sizing mandrel, will never use any other method after using one. I full length resize without the expander plug and then resize the neck with the correct sized mandrel. I find this system to be easy, accurate and it pushes the brass where I believe it ought to be when resizing. If you want more tension on the necks you can either buy a smaller mandrel or polish the original one to a smaller diameter to increase neck tension. I would also contact RCBS, tell them the bullet that you are seating and ask if they have a different seating plug that will work on your bullets. If you chuck the seating plug up in a drill press or drill you ought to be able to sand/polish a decent radius in the area where the bullet meets the plug.

Last edited:
I had the same issue with various calibers and bullets and used powdered graphite lube inside the seating stem where it contacts the bullet to stop the clicking and sticking. Leaves a small graphite ring that wipes off (I leave mine on)
Next I will use some flitz to polish the inside of the stem per the suggestions above

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.