bullet sticking

shooterpunk2

I just bought some used .30-06 dies and i started reloading a few rounds last night but when i was seating the bullet sometimes the die would grab it or something becuase the cartridge would come out longer than it was before, sometimes the bullet would be almost completely pulled out. I brushed the inside of the die and that seamed to help some but does anybody know why this is happening? Thanks

Dies....

Take the die apart and spray all parts with carb cleaner.

Inspect for any burrs etc. If you see any burrs, scratches, or pitting, you may be able to polish and fix the problem. The carb cleaner may be all you need.

Good Luck

Reloader

hi
been loading for 40 years never heard of this,but if i understand correctly your bullet is being pulled from the case when exiting the die? this would only be caused by the seater plug not releasing from the bullet,unless the neck area of the die is so dirty & gummed that it is grabbing the bullet.

Are you sure that the neck is getting sized correctly?

What is the inside neck diameter after sizing?

edge.

It is also putting a ring around the bullet below the nose, is it maybe cutting into it and not releasing it? I don't know what the diameter is I didn't check and i'm at work right now but i'll check tonight. Thanks guys

Does it pull the bullet out of a dummy round with no powder?
Too much powder in the case and you are trying to compress too much?

edge.

I havent tried it with a dummy round, I dont think there is too much powder, becuase sometimes it works just fine, i dunno im going to give it a good clean today when i get home, cuz like i said before i brushed it with a little brush you brush the inside of your brass neck with and it seemed to help some. Do yo know why its cutting a little ring around the bullet right below the bullet?

It is also putting a ring around the bullet below the nose,...
...Do yo know why its cutting a little ring around the bullet right below the bullet?
My experience with this has been that the bullet has an excessive amount of resistance going into the brass. Either the neck was sized too tightly or the bullet is catching on the mouth of the case or it's a very fragile bullet. Generally only seen this with varmint bullets... You've never said what bullet you were using...

Sorry, I am using Accubonds. Good news is that I cleaned the die and the sticking problem is gone, and the ring is only slightly there now. should i use a little case lube and brush the inside of the brass neck?

You put a cutter into the mouth of the case and cut a little bit of an angle on it. Allows the bullets to enter the case mouth easier. Also do the same to the outside of the case (with a different cutter) to clean off burrs and such after it is trimmed.
This is so you can see what it looks like.
MidwayUSA - Search Results
The Lyman is the 8th one down. The others are the combination inside outside chamfer and deburring tools. The difference is the angle they cut. The VLD is a steeper angle and allows easier starting. IMO

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.