Bullets sticking in seating plug

Colin78

loading some 308 compressed loads and my bullets keep getting stuck in the seating plug on my RCBS seating die. Any ideas how to prevent this?

Chuck up the seater stem in a drill then put non embedding lapping compound on a bullet. Use the bullet with the non-embedding lapping compound to lap the stem to the shape of your bullet. A number 2 pencil with lapping compound works also.

loading some 308 compressed loads and my bullets keep getting stuck in the seating plug on my RCBS seating die. Any ideas how to prevent this?
Check for a very small hard to see crack in your seating stem mine felt like it was sticking made a clicking sound I pulled it out and saw a small crack and had to order a new stem

I have a similar problem with some of my Redding S dies with micrometer seater. You can feel the die pull the seater off the bullet and see a ring left on the bullet. I ordered a new Redding "long" seater plug and found it to be just as problematic.
The bullets don't actually stick in the plug because my finished ammo has consistent seating depths and the ammo shoots great. But its still annoying. The ring is easily removed with 0000 steel wool which I normally use as a last step polish of the case neck.

A lot of interesting and great suggestions here, I had the same problem with .300 gr Barnes TSX in .375 and new RCBS dies and new Nosler custom brass. RCBS recommendation was to resize all the new brass, (increasing neck tension) and the problem was solved.

A lot of interesting and great suggestions here, I had the same problem with .300 gr Barnes TSX in .375 and new RCBS dies and new Nosler custom brass. RCBS recommendation was to resize all the new brass, (increasing neck tension) and the problem was solved.

Increase in neck tension may help as well.

I thought of this as I m using brand new Lapua brass. I'm going to try polishing the seating plug and if that doesn't help I will resize this new brass.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.