Bullet weight for 300WM.

Out to 1000 stay above 180gr. Those 181 hammers snox mentioned are great bullets in a win mag. I personally use the 199 hammers in mine for hunting and 185 Berger hybrids for practice since they are nearly identical in terms of velocity and ballistic coefficient in my rifle.

Other good bullets to check out if your not a big mono fan would be accubonds, eld x or eld m, various weight Berger's.
I'll try them all mono or not. If they fly nice and take game efficiently that's what I care about. Thanks for the info and your experience. It's appreciated.

I prefer the 180-181 hammer hunter in mine.
Not sure how long range but I run that one out to 1000. I've made hits at 1308 but I wouldn't try on game with that. I have self limits lower than than. I like to stay 200gr and under. I don't wanna give up any more speed for the heavies.
I've got some of those and will give them a try too. Must appreciated.

In my mind when you start talking about taking game at long distance the conversation starts with heavy for caliber cup/core bullets simply because of the bc advantage. The most difficult variable when talking long range is wind and a bullet with the higher bc will give you a much better margin of error. If I was forced to use a mono I'd be leaning cutting edge without question, there's a reason it's the #1 bullet in ELR.

edit: For me I shoot nothing but the 215 Berger in the 300wm

Last edited:
I know this is a variable rifle question but I'm looking for a bullet weight to start out with for an accurate long range hunting round to start with. I have several weights to load from 147gr to 214gr. I'll be using it for elk to moose size animals and appreciate any input.
Barnes 175LRX is a serious long range hunting bullet. Hits hard= to any 200-210gr due to construction and extremely accurate.

I know this is a variable rifle question but I'm looking for a bullet weight to start out with for an accurate long range hunting round to start with. I have several weights to load from 147gr to 214gr. I'll be using it for elk to moose size animals and appreciate any input.
300 win 215 gr hybrid love it up here from moose to boos, black and brown bears, deer,wolves sheep any and everything works outstanding with a 9 twist

In my mind when you start talking about taking game at long distance the conversation starts with heavy for caliber cup/core bullets simply because of the bc advantage. The most difficult variable when talking long range is wind and a bullet with the higher bc will give you a much better margin of error. If I was forced to use a mono I'd be leaning cutting edge without question, there's a reason it's the #1 bullet in ELR.

Think it depends on what your goal is.
I changed my win mag from the 215 to the 181. Mainly because most shots are under that 1k distance. Second I could make very consistent hit at that distance. I had more faith in the hammer doing the job if I was a bit off and into the shoulder than I did with Berger.
Im fortunate enough to be able to step up to larger calibers for farther distance mainly for keeping more than enough energy.
Cutting edge are hood I run them still a bit but they do not work as good on game as hammer. I still rock them in my .375 cause the hammers were having a hard time over a mile at the time I was doing mine.

Another vote for 180 gr Accubond.I have killed out to 610 with them and lesser distances also and all were DRT!
I watched a friend shoot a huge cow elk at 700 yards and she ran about 10 feet and piled up.
This year I am working up loads with 180 gr Hammers and expect DRT from very close to 400 yards.
So why the change?Accubonds are super hard to find,Hammers are always INSTOCK!And they kill awesomely.

200 grain accubonds then 212 eldx and in 3rd place 200 eldx
With the 200 grain eldx only shoot behind the shoulder at 300yds and less. Had a big 7x7 whitetail I hit perfectly behind the shoulder and it blew up on impact ran 80 yards jumped in to the shelterbelt and fell over dead, just not what I was expecting. Only 76 grains of H1000 so not a real fast load.
Now The 200 Accubonds your good from muzzell to 1k
Now I have not used the 212's on game yet so they may be as good as the Accubonds just no experience.

Thank you for the information. I'm having a hard time finding any in stock.

Another vote for 180 gr Accubond.I have killed out to 610 with them and lesser distances also and all were DRT!
I watched a friend shoot a huge cow elk at 700 yards and she ran about 10 feet and piled up.
This year I am working up loads with 180 gr Hammers and expect DRT from very close to 400 yards.
So why the change?Accubonds are super hard to find,Hammers are always INSTOCK!And they kill awesomely.
What are you shooting the 180 's out of ?

My HMR 300WM and myself love the 212 ELD-X, however every Elk that's meet it hates it! elk pic 2019.JPG

Recent Posts