Bullet selection

Demon061

Have we got a centralized database of game pictures with data and gels on different bullet performance from different calibers and rifles? Would be neat to see one. I'm trying to figure out a decent bullet for the .300WM now that I've got my 06's nailed down to the 165grn Hornady SST. And of course a new one for my female's .270 and my BROTHER's female's .243. I come from a scientific background so I like to see the data that tells me exactly what I'd like to steer towards for an excellent mix of accuracy, consistency (accuracy versus precision!), and of course terminal wound ballistics. Would love to see a more quantitative than qualitative take on our hobby.

Seems the Berger 210/215 are highly recommended for the .300WM. I've no experience with Bergers so I have no strong opinion either way on them, I've reloaded for Hornady, Nosler, and SMK/SMG's but never Berger. Shot a zillion brands of factory ammo from each of my rifles but leaning towards the 210 or 215 Hybrid for my handloads for this season.

If you can get your hands on the 215 hybrids you should be good to go. I keep looking for some to show up at my local stores but have had no luck. If you cant get those the Nossler Ballistic tips have worked well for me. I use the BT for target practice and then switch to the Accubond for hunting.

Have we got a centralized database of game pictures with data and gels on different bullet performance from different calibers and rifles? Would be neat to see one. I'm trying to figure out a decent bullet for the .300WM now that I've got my 06's nailed down to the 165grn Hornady SST. And of course a new one for my female's .270 and my BROTHER's female's .243. I come from a scientific background so I like to see the data that tells me exactly what I'd like to steer towards for an excellent mix of accuracy, consistency (accuracy versus precision!), and of course terminal wound ballistics. Would love to see a more quantitative than qualitative take on our hobby.

I know what you mean. I went through the same study last year. Good news is the info is out there. The most detailed experiments were by a New Zealander. Balisticstudies.com He has everything you are looking for. Detailed write ups on factory loads, and bullets for the handloader. He also has great write ups on different cartridges.

I know what you mean. I went through the same study last year. Good news is the info is out there. The most detailed experiments were by a New Zealander. Balisticstudies.com He has everything you are looking for. Detailed write ups on factory loads, and bullets for the handloader. He also has great write ups on different cartridges.

I'll check it out, I appreciate it.

I come from a scientific background so I like to see the data that tells me exactly what I'd like to steer towards for an excellent mix of accuracy, consistency (accuracy versus precision!), and of course terminal wound ballistics. Would love to see a more quantitative than qualitative take on our hobby.

My profession deals with quantitative and qualitative analysis and is one of our daily core competencies. Anyways, you can have both through the end result of members harvests shared here.

As already noted, the .210, .215, and .230 Berger VLDs are the pill of choice for the .300 Win Mag and has many followers like myself.

There are plenty of LRH members (i.e., Jeff (BROZ)) that have done significant real world field applications with very successful end results (deer, elk, bear and other wild game harvests, etc ...) that they willingly shared with us.

I harvested a bull elk last year at 931 yards with 190 VLD only because I ran out of .210s and could find any 215s. :D

Load with .210 or 215 and you're golden. Good luck and happy safe shooting/hunting.

There are some good choices out there. We're still looking for the "just one" solution.

Some are really close, and some have been used for everything to prove a point, but ideal for all of its elusive.

Arguments over the physics, and mechanics persist, and about the time bullet construction appears to have been solved a batch out of spec hit's the market, or the latest creation is marketed.

While readily available cameras have enhanced sharing of terminal ballistics, there is no CSI Wyoming yet to fully describe some of the finer points unrevealed by photos.

Then there are the concessions we make to the physical make up of shooters to include age and gender.

Start having fun and see what you learn along the way. Which is what most of the discussion is anyway, arguing about who had more better fun throughout the off season, or whose going to have more better fun this season.

Not to be a smarty, but in about all cases shot placement trumps relatively minor differences in bullet construction. Yes, one can use a bullet totally unsuited to the task at hand, like a frangable 'varmint' bullet or a FMJ for big game hunting.

The vast majority of lost & wounded game is from poor shot placement. The reasons can vary, attempted to long a shot, poor shooter, deflected bullet, etc..

Bullet particulars(and placement) become more critical when using a cartridge on the small side for the intended game. I had a great gunsmith that used the 243 for most big game, including elk. Many would say that is on the light side, but he knew right where to put his handloaded bullet, and what shot to take.

You could make the decision easy for yourself by moving to California and eliminating 95% of hunting bullets based on their lead content. :)

I'll second that for .30 caliber bullets:

.308 Win = 150-168 gr.
.30-06 = 168-180 gr.
.300 WM = 180-215 gr.

Not to be a smarty, but in about all cases shot placement trumps relatively minor differences in bullet construction. Yes, one can use a bullet totally unsuited to the task at hand, like a frangable 'varmint' bullet or a FMJ for big game hunting.

The vast majority of lost & wounded game is from poor shot placement. The reasons can vary, attempted to long a shot, poor shooter, deflected bullet, etc..

Bullet particulars(and placement) become more critical when using a cartridge on the small side for the intended game. I had a great gunsmith that used the 243 for most big game, including elk. Many would say that is on the light side, but he knew right where to put his handloaded bullet, and what shot to take.

Absolutely. Shot placement is always paramount in lethality (Heck a friend's dad took an elk with a .22-250). Still, bullet and TWB helps for a quick kill.

**** bergers are hard to find. Gonna pick up some pistol bullets and maybe some .308 FMJ's from Xtreme bullets (local outfit) pretty soon here, too.

Hrm was pretty unimpressed with the IMR4350 165grn SST loads I made. Best group I got was 1" @100 yards doing 5 round sets.

For the guys that want to shoot the 210's in 30 got to Matrix in B.C., Marshal will take care of you and they are still available. I run the 190's in my 7mm Dakota and can't say enough good things about these bullets.
Chris
Benchmark Barrels

I am a new and first time owner of a .300WM. I read a lot about heavy bullets working best, but how light is too light? I bought some 180gr SST Hornaday's. Is this too light for the long range shooting? They were about $40.00 and I hate to wasted then on targets.

For the guys that want to shoot the 210's in 30 got to Matrix in B.C., Marshal will take care of you and they are still available. I run the 190's in my 7mm Dakota and can't say enough good things about these bullets.
Chris
Benchmark Barrels

Expensive to import usually =/

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.