308 Bullet Selection

Boom

My son is taking over my 308, a semi custom 308, 20" barrel. I've loaded target rounds for years, shoots 168 BTHP points great. Also, he has used Winchester factory 155 Power Points that have done ok to date, definitely hammer the deer but rarely get a pass through. I'm wanting to load up a round for him that will be predominantly for whitetail in the Southeast. Want to knock them down but also prefer pass through for blood as tracking in heavy brush is common. Most common shots are 100-300 yards where we hunt. Appreciate any suggestions!

I second the Hornady SST's. I've taken a lot of game with the 165's in my 308 and its lights out and in most of cases it was a pass through but not needed as the animals dropped dead and my shots were 50-200 yards.
I actually load and shoot SST's in both my 7x65R's, my 6.5 Creedmoor and in my 6.8 SPC II and 270 Win because of the performance I've had in my 308. Never had any issues with them dropping animals at the yardage you're talking about.

I personally use the 152 grain shock hammers and the 152 grain hammer hunters and I've been very pleased with them on deer and anything else I've shot.I did use 150 grain Barnes ttsx and 165 grain sst and i by far prefer the hammer bullets.also I have used the 168 grain amaxs and they work great as well and will really blow a hole in a deer the only down side to the amaxs is meat loss

My late friend would use Nosler 125 gr and 150 gr Ballistic Tips in Arkansas in his 308 Win and 30-30AI. He called them "killer greens" and used them because he didn't want them to run off to the next property. Because of the construction and solid base you'll get a pass through. That's been my experience, a pass through with a classic silver dollar exit. Easy tracking if at all and never had one go more than 50 yards.

My late friend would use Nosler 125 gr and 150 gr Ballistic Tips in Arkansas in his 308 Win and 30-30AI. He called them "killer greens" and used them because he didn't want them to run off to the next property. Because of the construction and solid base you'll get a pass through. That's been my experience, a pass through with a classic silver dollar exit. Easy tracking if at all and never had one go more than 50 yards.
/\ /\ I'll second this: /\ /\
125gr, 150 gr and 165 BT's all work well out of 308.
Most good 150-165 cup and core bullets work very well with 308 velocity and will do you well for that range of hunting.

/\ /\ I'll second this: /\ /\
125gr, 150 gr and 165 BT's all work well out of 308.
Most good 150-165 cup and core bullets work very well with 308 velocity and will do you well for that range of hunting.
I used 168 BT's in Texas in my 308 Win and 165 BT's here in Oregon out of my 30-06. Never had to take more than one shot, always retrieved my harvest. All those shots were from 40 yards to 125 yards. Those longer shots were on from stalking spooked bucks. The closer ones were on buck that never knew I was there. I love the stalk.

I used 168 BT's in Texas in my 308 Win and 165 BT's here in Oregon out of my 30-06. Never had to take more than one shot, always retrieved my harvest. All those shots were from 40 yards to 125 yards. Those longer shots were on from stalking spooked bucks. The closer ones were on buck that never knew I was there. I love the stalk.
I hunt in Texas on a friends ranch and have had lots of success with these as well.
That's our bullet testing grounds! LOL
I've loaded many different bullets for him and myself and shot double shouders and lung shots to compare terminal impact.

I hunt in Texas on a friends ranch and have had lots of success with these as well.
That's our bullet testing grounds! LOL
I've loaded many different bullets for him and myself and shot double shouders and lung shots to compare terminal impact.
I can't remember the ranch, it was near San Angelo.