Bullet Selection?

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by HardtimeNC, Jan 1, 2013.

  1. HardtimeNC

    HardtimeNC Member

    Messages:
    9
    Joined:
    Jan 1, 2013
    I am looking for the best bullet to load in a 300 win mag for deer that will make a huge exit hole.

    Thanks
     
  2. barnesuser28

    barnesuser28 Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    2,808
    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2012
    178 grain hornady A-Max as fast as you can SAFELY push them.
     

  3. 4bycamper

    4bycamper Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    607
    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2009
    150 Hornady SST or 155 A-Max will do it.

    Deer are thin skinned, light boned. Like antelope and people.

    Elk are thick skinned, heavy boned. Save the 180+ bullets for elk.

    You did say you wanted a splash effect on the far side, yes?
    ( Lungs splashed all over far side tree)
     
  4. Nimrodmar10

    Nimrodmar10 Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    785
    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2011
    Why?

    Do you just want to make a bloody mess or just waste meat?

    If you're wanting to anchor the deer in place, you don't have to blow big holes. All you have to do is break down their drive train. Do like the TV shows do and shoot them high through both shoulders. DRT. The shoulder bone fragments do your work for you. It also takes out the arteries above the heart and both lungs. Bullet doesn't even have to exit.

    If you're trying to compensate for bad shooting, just practice more.
     
  5. Sully2

    Sully2 Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    2,480
    Joined:
    Feb 28, 2011

    I agree....WHY??
     
  6. bbutturff

    bbutturff Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    95
    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2011
    If you're blowing through and creating a large exit hole the bullet is not expending all of it's energy into the animal. I've seen deer run a long way with a huge exit hole. You really want a bullet that will expend all of it's energy, mushroom well, retain most of it's weight and stop just under the hide on the opposite side. I prefer the 150 gr Nosler Accubond for deer, the 180 gr Nosler Accubond for elk and the 200 gr Accubond for moose.
     
  7. Broz

    Broz Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    8,637
    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2007
    Here is some reading for thought. Long thread but quite a bit of info on a 300 win. 19 big game kills with the same rifle and bullet at many different distances. Many pics of wound channels, entrances and exits.

    http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/cmparing-berger-210-vld-215-hybrid-88657/

    But as shown in the thread, any bullet will act differently depending on velocity, distance, and shot placement. The key is to find a bullet that will fill your needs at the longest distance you plan to take a shot. In closer it becomes less important as shot placement is easier and about anything will kill when placed properly.

    Jeff
     
  8. wiiicgun

    wiiicgun Active Member

    Messages:
    43
    Joined:
    Jan 16, 2011
     
  9. FSU Seminole

    FSU Seminole Member

    Messages:
    14
    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2012
    That is the gospel I live by. Shoot em high in the shoulder and they drop like a bag of bricks. I just shot a 270 plus pound whitetail in Wisconsin, he would have scored over 200 inches but broke 2 beams, he scored 183 3/8. I shot him high in the shoulder at 128 yards with Nosler BST 150 grain. He dropped like he got hit with an anvil. When you mention it takes out the arteries about the heart its what causes them to die before they hit the ground.

    I haven't shot a deer "behind" the shoulder in years.
     
  10. elkaholic

    elkaholic Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    5,345
    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2008
    There is no doubt about a high shoulder shot busting them down fast but I personally don't like throwing both shoulders away and deer are not tuff animals like elk. A thin skinned bullet like an A-max or Berger in the 150-180 grain class will put any deer down rather fast with a rib shot (lungs) and you will waist far less meat. If your goal is to just "bowl them over" then go for the shoulder if that's what you want. When I lived in Mi. years ago, I shot a pile of white tails, with 100 grain thin skinned bullets, right in the ribs, with a 25-06 and 90% of them dropped in their tracks. The other 10% only went two or three jumps......Rich