Bullet recommendations for 300WM

Got out to the range to test H1000 and RL22 with the 200gr Accubonds. Numbers were very respectable with the velocity edge going to RL22. At the

My best data for 200gr AB with RL22 clocked in the 3040fps range. The equivalent load for H100 were in the 2980fps range. Both displayed acceptable accuracy. Once this heat wave ends, I'll take the rifle back to the range for pure accuracy testing with the 200's.

You may wish to toss both of those loads in the freezer and chrono again with cold ammo to see which powder is less sensitive to temperature. If the RL22 does what it has done to me the velocities could match each other or be very close to the same.

Just a thought.

Jeff

You may wish to toss both of those loads in the freezer and chrono again with cold ammo to see which powder is less sensitive to temperature. If the RL22 does what it has done to me the velocities could match each other or be very close to the same.

Just a thought.

Jeff
Sorry, but you need to put the rifle in the freezer too and wear your hunting parka at the range for that test to work. You can't cheat the test by simply throwing the ammo in the freezer. I mentioned the hunting parka because it should soften how your shoulder acts to the gun, and a softer hold usually means less fps(it can even mess up the action cycle in a semi-auto). The strength and dimensions of the barrel steel will change with temp too. These may not act as constants with both powders and will probably give you a false reading of the difference.
I've shot from -20 f to + 110 f over a chronograph in real(not manufactured) conditions, and all ammo will loose velocity in cold weather. Hodgdon 4895 in my 25wssm will loose 100 fps+ in that temperature spread, and the rl powders in my bigger rifles are similar if not a bit less. I don't use a lot of hodgdon in the bigger rifles, so I can't give you an exact number. I shoot all loads in both cold and warm temps before I am serious about them. It sometimes takes 6 months and sometimes two days; I'm in North Dakota after all.

The strength and dimensions of the barrel steel will change with temp too. ... I shoot all loads in both cold and warm temps before I am serious about them. It sometimes takes 6 months and sometimes two days; I'm in North Dakota after all.

It is true that the bore diameter of a very cold barrel will be smaller than the bore of a warm barrel. So I think to really know how the whole system would work (ammo + gun + temperature) Lefty7mm is right on that you need to test it all together at the same temp (hot and cold on different days).

Also shows how dedicated you have to be to really know how your rifle and ammo will perform in all conditions. I typically save all of my load development for the winter and early spring when the conditions are about the same as what I'll be hunting in, so I really don't know how my gun shoots in hot weather at long range and have very little data to back up the variations that temperature has on a gun/ammo. I shoot Hodgden powder in my guns but sometimes wonder if it is just the marketing hype that makes me believe it is more consistent across varying temps...

But for the guys out there that have put in the work and anchored elk at long range it really is an impressive accomplishment.

sorry, but you need to put the rifle in the freezer too and wear your hunting parka at the range for that test to work. You can't cheat the test by simply throwing the ammo in the freezer. I mentioned the hunting parka because it should soften how your shoulder acts to the gun, and a softer hold usually means less fps(it can even mess up the action cycle in a semi-auto). The strength and dimensions of the barrel steel will change with temp too. These may not act as constants with both powders and will probably give you a false reading of the difference.
I've shot from -20 f to + 110 f over a chronograph in real(not manufactured) conditions, and all ammo will loose velocity in cold weather. Hodgdon 4895 in my 25wssm will loose 100 fps+ in that temperature spread, and the rl powders in my bigger rifles are similar if not a bit less. I don't use a lot of hodgdon in the bigger rifles, so i can't give you an exact number. I shoot all loads in both cold and warm temps before i am serious about them. It sometimes takes 6 months and sometimes two days; i'm in north dakota after all.

lmao,, ok ...:D

But I was not refering to final data for drop work up. I was simply talking about how the powder will react to a temp change of the ammo. Using the same rifle on the same day with the same "Parka" (What is a Paka anyway? I don't think we wear them out here) Anyway if you wish too, test both powders cold and hot and you will see which one had the most spread. Works for me and the freezer is full.

Jeff

Now I"m laughing at how much I'm thinking of all the ways you could test the different components. To test the ammo, you only want to vary the temp of the ammo. But the same goes for the gun! Although I'm too lazy to figure out how I would put my gun in the freezer where I shoot long range.

In the end we all just need to practice a whole lot, and I'll take any advice I can get from guys that have actually shot elk at long range since those types of shots don't happen by luck.

With the help of Walt Berger I am getting sub MOA groups with the 168 and 190 gr VLD Bergers. I am shooting a Sake A7 Tecomate. 24 3/8 barrel. I am losing a little velocity with the shorter barrel.
70.6gr Re-22 for the 168 gr for 2975fps and 68.5 gr for the 190gr for 2900fps.
Using Federal mag primers.
I have the bullets seated out to 2.911". This is just touching the lands. Doing this made a HUGE difference in accuracy.
Walt said he would use the 168gr but also said 8 out of 10 elk hunters would use the 190s.
The rest is up to me to be in good enough shape so I am not huffing and puffing like a rhino when I get my chance of a life time.
PS
Thank you Walt Berger for all of your help!! :D

lmao,, ok ...:D

But I was not refering to final data for drop work up. I was simply talking about how the powder will react to a temp change of the ammo. Using the same rifle on the same day with the same "Parka" (What is a Paka anyway? I don't think we wear them out here) Anyway if you wish too, test both powders cold and hot and you will see which one had the most spread. Works for me and the freezer is full.

Jeff
O.K., parka is a bit old. But When it's -20 f and the wind's a blowin', you need to be in insulated coveralls, coat, etc and have good boots and hat, or you'll be an ice cube in short order. It will change what's happening with the rifle.

As far as cold load testing, just go buy another freezer and a gas generator to run it with, and if the wife asks why you spent so much load testing you can just say that you'll have so much more knowledge of your rifle that the freezer will be full come fall. And you might just need a bigger pick-up to cart your test set-up around in. That's what I'm telling my wife.

As far as cold load testing, just go buy another freezer and a gas generator to run it with, and if the wife asks why you spent so much load testing you can just say that you'll have so much more knowledge of your rifle that the freezer will be full come fall. And you might just need a bigger pick-up to cart your test set-up around in. That's what I'm telling my wife.

Now I really like the way you're thinking!

kstrick, congrats on getting your loads figured out. Sure is fun when they shoot so well isn't it. Have you decided which bullet (168 or 190) you're going to hunt with?

O.K., parka is a bit old. But When it's -20 f and the wind's a blowin', you need to be in insulated coveralls, coat, etc and have good boots and hat, or you'll be an ice cube in short order. It will change what's happening with the rifle.

Got it!! Or you could locate your freezer near the garage door and shoot from outside the garage to over 2000 yards Thats what I do..:D Problem is the freezer is full of dead elk.:rolleyes: Well only 1/2 full this time of year I guess.

Jeff

Got it!! Or you could locate your freezer near the garage door and shoot from outside the garage to over 2000 yards Thats what I do..:D Problem is the freezer is full of dead elk.:rolleyes: Well only 1/2 full this time of year I guess.

Jeff
10 mile trip to a 100 yard range, or forty mile trip to my cousin's land if I need to get out farther. The local range is getting rebuilt to 100 and 200 though. That will help some.

Got out to the range to test H1000 and RL22 with the 200gr Accubonds. Numbers were very respectable with the velocity edge going to RL22. At the recommendation of my local shop owner, I threw Federal Mag primers into the mix, normally use Winchester Mag primers. I did see any advantage in the chrono or accuracy to switch my primers to Federals. My best data for 200gr AB with RL22 clocked in the 3040fps range. The equivalent load for H100 were in the 2980fps range. Both displayed acceptable accuracy. Once this heat wave ends, I'll take the rifle back to the range for pure accuracy testing with the 200's.

Per the comments earlier, I'm leaning towards the heavier Accubond (200gr) for the timber we'll be hunting. There is also a possibility that snow could force us down to the lower elevations, which the Outfitter described as longer "plains-like" shots. The longer bullet should help me there with BC and retained energy.

To complicate matters, I found a New-in-box Remington 700 Classic (1988 edition) in 35 Whelen. Now I am going to be torn between developing a 300WM Elk load and 35 Whelen load. I already have a collection of Nosler 225gr Accubonds for my 358win rifle. They will make a dandy Elk load in the 35 Whelen.

Jake, I ran the 200 PT's with RL22 in my old 300WM. It ran about 2940, but it was accurate and worked well. One of my favorites. Wanna try it in the 300WSM soon.

As to your Whelen, lay into some RL15 and you will have a load in no time with that Classic. I have the CDL right now, but it shoots well. 225's at 2750 is a great load and will be using the AB's this Fall for my elk hunt. Good luck with them.

957BF520.jpg

Jake, I ran the 200 PT's with RL22 in my old 300WM. It ran about 2940, but it was accurate and worked well. One of my favorites. Wanna try it in the 300WSM soon.

As to your Whelen, lay into some RL15 and you will have a load in no time with that Classic. I have the CDL right now, but it shoots well. 225's at 2750 is a great load and will be using the AB's this Fall for my elk hunt. Good luck with them.

957BF520.jpg
The 220 speer fp is worth a look see also in the wheelen. My brother pitches those with rl15 in his ruger. I put him on that cartridge when he was looking at the 338 win and fed. He didn't like how my 338 punched him and didn't like the slow little fed with it's huge powder compression. He's been happy with the 35 so far.

If your rifle likes the 200gr accubond then stick with it, If you want higher BC I would suggest the 208 Amax, Another powder that I have had great luck with in the 300WM with the mentioned bullets is Ramshot Magnum...it seems to be fairly temp stable also..

957BF520.jpg

Nice grouping! I hope to see the same results from mine. Is your CDL bone stock, or have you bedded, pillared, floated....etc? I have RL15 on the radar. I'm trying to resist the temptation to take it to the range, but may have to take a few shots soon. This heat wave is placing my work with 300WM loads on hold.

I had some reservations with the 1:16 twist on Remington and Ruger factory 35 Whelen barrels, but seems like they are sufficiently quick enough to stabilize the 225gr bullets I intend to shoot. I'm feeling more confident thanks to your group above.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.