Bullet recommendations for 300WM

Does anyone have pet loads to offer?

Regarding the 215gr and 230gr Bergers: I gather these are the Hybrid Target bullets? Are they appropriate for hunting? I see the 190gr and 210gr Hunting VLD bullets on the Berger hunting bullet listing.

For the 210's in a 300 win. Start with 74 gr of H-1000 and work up. I seat them -.020" off the lands to start. Once you have a charge weight fine tune with seating depth.

For the 230's in a 300 win. start with 70 gr of H-1000 and work up. Again start .020" off the lands.

Tactical OTM's. We have tested them on antelope from 300 to 738 yrds, large Mule deer to 893 yards and elk from 300 to 511 yards so far. All were one shot and done and complete pass throughs with nice 1 1/2" exits.

The 215's I am getting ready to test are " Hybrid Targets" I will post up when they have proven to me to work well in accuracy and low wind drift. Once this is proven I will do my own testing for terminal preformance starting with antelope and working up to elk if all looks good.

Jeff

Thanks for the info broz. I have seen the limitations of the barnes first hand, no bone no expantion. That is one reson I want to change also wind drift is bad. My rifle is a browning A bolt, I dont have a fowling problem with it. With the barnes load at max mag length, it is .189 off of lands. I will try the 210 grn berger first. Thanks to every one one this site for all the knowlege you share!:)

Received a quick reply to my load data request to Berger. Looks like H1000 and Retumbo are good choices. RL22 is a few fps behind, but still in the running. Appreciate the support from everyone here. Now I need to get some bullets ordered, cartridges loaded and chrono/accuracy testing completed!

Broz,What pipe length and velocity? Been shooting with a bud that just picked up a Sako Finnlight 300 wm.

Broz,What pipe length and velocity? Been shooting with a bud that just picked up a Sako Finnlight 300 wm.

From the Broughton 5C's 28" and 210's, one is at 2916 and my custom actioned rifle is 2995. The 230's from a 28 we get 2775. This is with Lapua 300 win mag brass

Jeff

I dropped a few elk with 180 Accubonds in my 300WM. Was thinking of testing a few others out this year until someone pointed out: "if it ain't broke don't fix it". I load 75.5 gr of RL-22 and push 180 Accubonds out the barrel at 3,000 fps. The last two elk I dropped were one shot at 297 & 350 yards (btw the longest shots I ever had to make as well). The 180s performed well at 100 yds and at 350. I'm sticking with Accubonds

Another vote for the Accubonds, but I have been shooting the 200g instead of the 180g. Better ballistics and I'm still pushing it at over 3000fps. Performance last year on a bull at 575 yards was everything you'd hope for.

I've got to admit that the info on the 210g Bergers that Broz has posted is very intruiging, but I'll probably stick with the 'if it aint broke, don't fix it' theory for now. Plus I used to live in Bend and knew John Nosler for a while so I like supporting the local boys. And if you watch their site, you can find their 'blems' cheap every now and then and they shoot every bit as good as their 'firsts'.

I stopped by one of my favorite gun shops today and talked with the owner. He is an Elk hunter and I inquired about bullet choices. He likes Accubonds and Speer Grand Slams. He is not impressed by Nosler Partitions. He with his brother and father used Partitions for two Elk seasons. The Partitions tooks them 3-4 hits per hunter to drop their Elks. He has not worked with Bergers, but sees them as good bullets.

I have the Brownell's Berger sample packs in 210gr and 190gr coming in on Monday. I will some chrono testing and evaluate the "12 bullets each" for accuracy at max published charge. Will post after I get to the range for testing.

180 Accubonds, or 200 Accubonds. Not far enough to think twice about having enough speed for expansion. Hits like a Mack truck. You can shoot at most any angle, & know your bullet will perform. You aren't limited to a broadside only shot. There is no need for anything heavier or higher BC for the range stated, & then some. & IMO in a whole different league than bullets like the SST.

If your launching bullets out past 850-1k at Elk, then I could see a reason to load a big Berger.

Some great points here. If you're not shooting past 600 yards, you have a lot of options that will be better than the SST. I would start by looking at Barnes and Nosler; both excellent choices.

Just curious, has anyone tried the 180 Scirocco?

First, I finally sighted in my new Remington 700 today and shot my first group to check the rifle's accuracy potential. WOW! 3-shot group into a small triangle <1/2". I'm loving this rifle. I did some recoil calculations on the two Berger loads I brought to the range and questioned if the 210gr loads would be manageable with a light 7.5-8# rifle. I am now a believer in the Remington Supercell recoil pad!!!

I had 6 each, Berger 190gr & 210gr Hunting VLD cartridges in front of Reloder 22. They shot very well; much higher point of impact than the 180gr Speer SP's I used to sight in the rifle. I will have to go back with more to check accuracy, but it appears both will match or beat the ones tested today. I printed nearly touching holes with two 190s. Two 210s printed just under 1", but my aim point was questionable trying to offset for the higher impact point on both these loads.

Next, I will try some Accubond 180gr & 200gr bullets.

I expect the 190s would be similar to the rest. :rolleyes:

On a more serious note, if I was going with Bergers, I would definitely go heavier. Try the 210s.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.