Bullet recommendations for 300WM

For longer range my gun likes the 200gr Accubonds but the bullet, I like the best is the proven 180gr protected point Partition. Works well on deer as well at pretty much any distance.

anyone use the 180 SGK spitser on elk from their 300 win mag ?

Never the 180, but I did use the 200 SGK on black bear and deer. It was very accurate in my 300WM and was running around 2940 out of my rifle. I wouldn't be worried about using it for elk, but I ended up switching to 200 PT's.

I have a question about 168gr Berger VLD vs a 190gr VLD for elk.
I have been working up loads for my Sake A7 Tecomate in .300 WSM. It has a 1:11 twist. 24 3/8 barrel.
I am getting sub MOA groups with the 168gr bullets. RL22 avg 2850fps
The 190s are giving me some trouble. Can not get really good tight groups.
Using RL22 and IMR 4350. The lighter loads yielding 2675 avg give pretty good accuracy. But with that kind of velocity will I be able to be effective at 500 yards.
Will the 168gr VLDs be enough bullet for elk? Or, should I keep working with the 190s.
Seems like accuracy is the most important thing.
Thanks

I think you're on the right track to hold accuracy #1. Although it seems like your velocities are a bit low for a 300wsm even for an accuracy based load...

If you're at 2850 right now, I would think you might be able to find another accuracy node in the 2975 - 3000 and still staying under max pressure.

Although, all guns are different and you know your gun best, and based on your 500 yard max range, I think you'll be just fine even for elk with your current 168 vld load. Not sure what elevation you'll be hunting at, but as long as it's 5000 ft or higher, your bullet will be above 2000 fps and 1600 ft*lbs of energy at 500 yards. That will get the job done.

But if you can get either the 168 or the 190 to shoot good at a higher velocity you won't be wasting your time considering you're elk hunting.

Good luck!

IMO 165-168 gr bullets are ok for 30-06 & down, but why bother when your shooting a magnum? 180's blow them out of the water at 300 velocitys. Google JBM & run the numbers.

Bullet weight/velocity determines energy, but that's only 1 part of the equation in its "effectiveness" overall.
B.C.
AND SECTIONAL DENSITY which is often overlooked, but a Very Important part of the overall picture.

Combine all these with shot placement, & you've got an Elk load.

For the yardage you stated, why are you using Bergers? Wouldn't an Accubond, or Partition, or Ballistic tip serve you better?

I know lots of folks who swear by Bergers, but most of them use Bergers to get them WAY out there. They give little if any advantage at mid to close range, & in my opinion pose a dis advantage at close range due to thier fragile construction (which turns into what makes them so great farther out).
Your gun, your choice, & I'm not passing judgement. Each person determines what's best for his own style of hunting. I'm just giving a different view.

More interesting experience and knowledge keeps flowing in!
We talked with our outfitter in greater detail about our upcoming Elk hunt and the "typical" shot range. We will be in timber and normal shots range from 50-350yds. I was initially expecting longer shots and did some accuracy testing with Berger 190 and 210 VLDs. I agree with the fragmentary design of the Berger being a potential liability at shorter range when carrying high velocity. I have worked with some Hornady 180s and Nosler 180 and 200 accubonds. At this point, I'd like to go with the 200s, but my 300WM rifle is showing initial preference for 180s.

More interesting experience and knowledge keeps flowing in!
We talked with our outfitter in greater detail about our upcoming Elk hunt and the "typical" shot range. We will be in timber and normal shots range from 50-350yds. I was initially expecting longer shots and did some accuracy testing with Berger 190 and 210 VLDs. I agree with the fragmentary design of the Berger being a potential liability at shorter range when carrying high velocity. I have worked with some Hornady 180s and Nosler 180 and 200 accubonds. At this point, I'd like to go with the 200s, but my 300WM rifle is showing initial preference for 180s.

Those 180 and 200 AB's are some awesome bullets. I run them outta my 300WSM and they are excellent bullets. I am a 600 max shooter, for elk, so they cover me up close and out to my max range. It is nice to have the extra bullet in the timber..

the charts I got from Berger show max loads at just over 3000fps with the RL 22. (168gr) I am loading .5 gr just under what is the recommended max load. But the 2850avg is what I am getting from my chrony.
From what I understand we won't be hunting higher than 6000ft.
This is my first elk hunt...can't wait!!
Thanks for the input.

This is one of my quotes from an earlier post

On elk accuracy is realtive. An elk has a kill zone of at least 18" most rifles will meet that easily. Same with BC, little difference, except in really long distances. I killed my first elk in 1961 with a 180 gr. Nosler Partition, I have been around over 100 elk, killed with that same bullet. I shoot them because they work, the same way every time.

Got out to the range to test H1000 and RL22 with the 200gr Accubonds. Numbers were very respectable with the velocity edge going to RL22. At the recommendation of my local shop owner, I threw Federal Mag primers into the mix, normally use Winchester Mag primers. I did see any advantage in the chrono or accuracy to switch my primers to Federals. My best data for 200gr AB with RL22 clocked in the 3040fps range. The equivalent load for H100 were in the 2980fps range. Both displayed acceptable accuracy. Once this heat wave ends, I'll take the rifle back to the range for pure accuracy testing with the 200's.

Per the comments earlier, I'm leaning towards the heavier Accubond (200gr) for the timber we'll be hunting. There is also a possibility that snow could force us down to the lower elevations, which the Outfitter described as longer "plains-like" shots. The longer bullet should help me there with BC and retained energy.

To complicate matters, I found a New-in-box Remington 700 Classic (1988 edition) in 35 Whelen. Now I am going to be torn between developing a 300WM Elk load and 35 Whelen load. I already have a collection of Nosler 225gr Accubonds for my 358win rifle. They will make a dandy Elk load in the 35 Whelen.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.