Bullet recommendations for 300WM

I agree with staying away from the SST. Buddy of mine shot a bull a couple years ago with one and it exploded in the front side lung and completely disintegrated. I could not even find the jacket and the far side lung was in perfect shape.

Only reason the bull dropped was from the 2nd shot that ricocheted upwards after hitting a rib bone, and then traveling up into the spine. I did find the jacket from that bullet, completely separated from the core. He got lucky that 2nd bullet ricocheted or we would have been in for a long track.

Shot a wild pig several years back with one and just completely exploded too.

You have plenty of great info from guys on what bullets to use. I am a big fan of Barnes X and Nosler Accubonds. Never used a Berger but might see how they shoot as Broz has some very credible advice on them.

Broz ... holy $#!! that's a big bull!

At this point I'm settling in on Bergers. I have tested both 190gr and 210gr Hunting VLD bullets and getting very good velocity and accuracy. My initial test rounds were loaded with Reloder 22. At BROZ recommendation, I picked up some H1000 for the next round of testing. Leaning toward the 210gr bullets and will sort out the powder choice from there. The Reloder 22 clocked 3072fps for the 190gr and 2931fps for the 210gr. Respectable numbers in my opinion.

Factory Remington 700 BDL with a 26" tube. I've been very impressed with this rifle. It's my first Remington. Started with Winchester 70's many years ago and have been pretty loyal to Winchester with a few Rugers thrown in for a little variety. I'll be looking for more Remingtons in the future!

The first loads from this rifle were 180gr Hornady SST's that were clocking 3118fps with 75.6gr of Reloder 22. I got the same velocity from Speer 180gr Softpoints and grouped 1/2" at 100yds.

This lil tidbit will make your day then,

My 24" barreled 300Wby only clocked 3068fps with 180gr factory box Hornady ammo! & I was barley able to match that with 180 Accubonds over IMR-4831, & split a case doing so!
Those short pipes sure handi cap a good cartrige don't they.
I'm still a Model-70 Loyalist, but I did sell that one chambered in 300Wby to fund my 26" barreled Model-70 build in 300WSM (Which will also beat my old 24" piped 300Wby in velocity)
Amazing the amount of performance gain you get in the 300's with 2 more inches of barrel. I mean think about it, your 300WM beats my old 300Wby by quite a respectable margin. You can grin about that everytime somebody starts in on the Wby vs. Win mag debate if they have a short pipe.:D

Thank you for the "pick-me-up"! The owner of one of the local gun shop is a 300 Wearthby-man. When asking to input/advise, he repeatedly states "weatherby" when he talks 300's. I'll try to suppress my internal grin in the future. I've been very happy with this Remington. Here is the accuracy test at 100yds with the Speer 180gr SP's (over IMR4350 @ 3037fps). The top hole was my first shot...still getting accustom to 300WM. I concentrated, calmed down and placed the next three shots into the 1/2" triangle. The second picture is the targets for my Berger 190s (left) and 210gr (right). They hit considerably higher; need to make some scope adjustments. I changed my aim point with the 210s after the first shot. Drop the high hole down into the diamond and I'll call both bullets a solid 1" grouping without any real load development (I bought sample packs from Brownells...12 bullets of each type, which I used 6 for velocity tests and 6 for accuracy). The two stray shots in the left target are from my 358Win...my cool down rifle between 300WM shots.

Attachments

• IMG-20120422-00039.jpg
    IMG-20120422-00039.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG-20120422-00040.jpg
    IMG-20120422-00040.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 74
180 Accubonds, or 200 Accubonds. Not far enough to think twice about having enough speed for expansion. Hits like a Mack truck. You can shoot at most any angle, & know your bullet will perform. You aren't limited to a broadside only shot. There is no need for anything heavier or higher BC for the range stated, & then some. & IMO in a whole different league than bullets like the SST.

If your launching bullets out past 850-1k at Elk, then I could see a reason to load a big Berger.

Good info, thank you. I have done some testing with Berger 190 & 210 Hunting VLDs. Shot some Nosler 200 Accubonds this weekend and just received a box of 180 Accubonds for the next range trip. Also trying H1000 powder. My initial work with the Bergers used Reloder 22 and IMR4350. Really like the accuracy and speed from RL22. I've heard some feedback on adverse temperature effects on RL22.

I have been using Barnes 168gr TTSX bullets for elk with great success. Kills have been made beyond 600yds. Bullet placement is key. Years ago I used 200gr Nosler Partitions. They didn't group consistently and I had to track several wounded animals. They were recovered.

I do agree with Bros comments about the wind factor with the heavier bullets. It's obvious he's keyed on using the longest barrel possible for a complete burn of the powders he's utilizing. The heavier a bullet is the less it drifts in high winds.

However, in my comparisons of the 168 Barnes and the 165gr Hornady Interbond. They both perform extremely well out to 700 yards. Every elk my brother, hunting buddies and I have killed with either bullets have extensive internal damage. None have required tracking.

If your shooting beyond 600 yards in steep high country with uphill/downhill shots, wind uplifts and cross winds your best bet is to go with the heaviest bullet your rifle can shoot accurately. You have less margin for error.

Good Luck
Gonzo

Hornady superformance 180gr interbond ammo shoots sub 1/2" at 200 yards from my .300 win mag. This is what I will be using this year for Elk.

Good info, thank you. I have done some testing with Berger 190 & 210 Hunting VLDs. Shot some Nosler 200 Accubonds this weekend and just received a box of 180 Accubonds for the next range trip. Also trying H1000 powder. My initial work with the Bergers used Reloder 22 and IMR4350. Really like the accuracy and speed from RL22. I've heard some feedback on adverse temperature effects on RL22.

Don't worry so much about rl22 and velocity/pressure changes. If you aren't running right on the edge at below freezing temps. it won't be an issue. I've shot around 1000 rounds of 165 hornady f.b. with 78 rl22 in my browning 300, and the only thing it does is go from just over 3200 fps in zero degree weather to 3280 fps in 100 degree weather. I don't know why the sst's are so bad(and this isn't the first I've heard of this), but I'd whack just about anything with a regular hornady without even blinking. The only ones I've ever cought have hit at 1/4 mile or better and hit heavy bone, and they still held 60% weight or better.
I've worked with h4895 in my 25 wssm with 100 sierras, and it'll swing 140 fps, and it's an "Extreme" powder. Trouble is, the powder manufacturer can't control the primer, case, rifle, or other variables that really will drop your velocity in cold weather. I've had the Oehler out from -20 to 100+ degrees so I've been able to have a few chuckles from creative powder marketing.
That said, I would like to see some data on the newer Hodgdon powders as far as temp stability, as they may be better than a re-engineered powder. Real world, cold weather shooting, not freezer ammo, as all that proves is you can put your ammo in the freezer.
Heck, I should probably get some data together myself; I don't have any ledgers anymore now that I load at my house instead of my Dad's.

Last edited:
but I'd whack just about anything with a regular hornady without even blinking. The only ones I've ever cought have hit at 1/4 mile or better and hit heavy bone, and they still held 60% weight or better.

I've had the same experience with a good old 250 grain Hornady spire point. One shot at 460 yards, entered just at the first rib and traveled diagonally through the chest cavity of a bull and stopped under the skin on the far side after crushing the far side shoulder.

Still have the bullet! :D

I've had the same experience with a good old 250 grain Hornady spire point. One shot at 460 yards, entered just at the first rib and traveled diagonally through the chest cavity of a bull and stopped under the skin on the far side after crushing the far side shoulder.

Still have the bullet! :D

Man, it sounds like it did everything it could! Do you have a picture of it?

Man, it sounds like it did everything it could! Do you have a picture of it?

Man, have not looked at this bullet in a long time... been almost 15 years. Still has all the bone/hair/junk all over it too! Now I remember how shoulder bone was all broken and stuck around the bullet when I dug it out just under the hide.

I think this is an example of why so many guys love big heavy bullets to shoot elk. I loaded this before I ever had a chrono and shot it out of a 24" barrel. I'm guessing the muzzle velocity was about 2600 fps and where I hunt that puts the velocity around 1900 fps and ~2000 ft*lbs of energy at impact. Not a huge stress on the bullet but it still expanded, and I think the far shoulder is what mangled up the copper jacket. It weighed in at 190 grains so that's 76% weight retention.

Makes me want to load up some Berger Hunting 210's and see how they shoot! Also might try the 200 LRX since I have had so much luck with Barnes...gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.