bull elk tag area 48 Colorado

sticknstring

I drew a bull tag/rifle for 48. I also drew a mulie tag for the same area. Although I've never been to this area, I'm pretty excited. Is there anyone who has been here that doesn't mind sharing any kind of pointers or a direction I should consider scouting in. Feel free to p.m. if you prefer. Thanks in advance.

Good luck to all that drew a tag this year!

I'm finally back and settled in. I never could get any input to this area from anyone(made me nervous)-I hunted hard, covered alot of area! I saw about 30-35 cows and 4 bulls during my hunt. Could have tagged out in the first 30 minutes on opening day-if I had cow tag.
I ended up harvesting a 5x5 bull elk tending cows in a sage flat. I couldn't get any closer and the cows had me pegged at 400 yards(laying behind a log that I was using as a rest in timberline). I adjusted the elevation turret and heard the report as I wumped him at 400 and he didn't react-just tended to his cows! I went to shoot him again and I noticed the trigger on my encore had broke off!!!! I looked back up at him through the binos and he keeled over!:D
I passed up mulies everyday, hoping for a bigger one. Finally , connected with a 3 x 3, very big bodied deer on the last evening. Horns weren't what I was looking for, but was every bit excited about my out of state, DIY hunt in an area I had never been to.

I am glad you saw so many. Last year I hunted in 481 and did not see anything at all. This year was in 12 and we only saw a few animals with no shots fired at all from our party.

Bravo-I can't say I was that excited harvesting this animal. I'm at a loss as to why the trigger went on me. I really like this gun, shoot it very well(has been my "to go to rifle"-1/2 way around the world)-I just hope it's not something that will happen again due to a poor design/craftmanship. Anyway-glad you enjoyed the story!:)
This bull had a small bullet hole in the left antler made by something along the lines of a 243-260 caliber bullet. It entered the back of the antler-exited going forward. I didn't intend to keep the horns, but changed my mind once we got a look at it.
A picture of my "bullet horn bull"
IMG_0239.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.