Nevada Bull Elk Tag hit!

RobStar

For a year that I had planned on giving elk hunting a little break, I woke up this morning to a Nevada bull elk tag in a great unit. The biggest surprise was I got this resident tag with only a 0.7% chance in the draw! Vegas luck for sure!

Now I need to find a great outfitter in the Elko area of Nevada.

Also, I'm even more excited to be using a new Proof Research 7mm RM and shooting the new Hornady ELD-X 178gr bullet for this hunt!

Just goes to show if you don't put in for the draw you never have a chance at all!

~Robert

Wow that is way cool. From this season on you can make a living taking pics for catalogs and sponsoring hunting products.:D

Can't wait to hear how it goes.

Steve

Last edited:
No expert on any of that country, and it's been years since I've been there, but I've seen some great bulls there. Best wishes!

Congrats! What tag did you get?
I had a 076-081 last year and hunted with Mitch Buzzetti and Walt Gardner at Nevada High desert Outfitterss and got a good one.
dbb188a4-c5d1-402b-acf5-7cb920941938_zpsvfemmzbp.jpg

Congrats! What tag did you get?
I had a 076-081 last year and hunted with Mitch Buzzetti and Walt Gardner at Nevada High desert Outfitterss and got a good one.

Great bull! I spoke to Mitch and a few other outfitters yesterday because I knew with the draw just happening they'd all get busy quickly. I assume you were happy with his services not just with the harvest?

My tag is the 078 group east and SE of Wells. First rifle hunt which works perfectly right after my mule deer and two antelope hunts.

I'm also talking to Mike Lindquist at Bristlecone and a few others. One thing about Mike is he's a LRP hunter himself with a 950+ yard range on his property and totally supports ethical long range hunting.

~Robert

I have done a mule deer,antelope,and my elk hunt with him,Justin,Walt,and his wife and kids and they are all good people!I have two other friends that also have hunted elk with him and had a great time.
The good thing is they all love to hunt( he was bear hunting yesterday).check out the successful draw as they draw some tags!The only bummer was tagging out the first day but we stayed an extra day and helped glass for the other guys and watch the harvest their Bulls.
One thing about Mitch is if a client tags out that guide will join the others till they tag out- you might have 5 guides helping.
We spotted / bedded them miles away and got within 300 yards and waited about three hours to actually see the bull again when they finally got up.Not long range for most but I was happy to get as close as possible.
if you want to chat by phone just pm me.

...The only bummer was tagging out the first day...

I know the feeling. Last year in Wyoming I tagged out in the first 17 minutes of the first day and spent the next three weeks helping friends and family fill their tags. I'll take that though because I personally never had another opportunity the rest of the three weeks and I got a lot of great filming of the migration that I'd have otherwise not taken the time to do.

Thanks! ~Robert

Hey Rob,Bryan from the Nevada Shooters forum.I met you last yr when I loaned you my ring lapping kit.Glad to hear last yr was a success for you.Like you I took a chance and put in for an elk tag and was successful in drawing for Area 108 131 132.This is the area just South of Ely.My nephew bagged a nice bull there in 2013,and my brother took nice pronghorn there last yr.We are familiar with the area,so this is a big plus for me.Good luck on your hunt and I will share my adventure with you if I bag a bull.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.