Drew Ely nevada bull elk tag 111-115,221 and222

coloradoultramag

I drew a Nevada late bull tag 111-115 and 221 and 222. I was wondering if any of you have hunted this unit and have any advice? I have horses and 4 wheelers and will probably use both.

Thanks Gabe

I drew a Nevada late bull tag 111-115 and 221 and 222. I was wondering if any of you have hunted this unit and have any advice? I have horses and 4 wheelers and will probably use both.

Thanks Gabe

I cow and deer hunt there all the time.

Get up high in the Schell Creek range in unit 111. Leave the 4 wheeler, it's a wilderness area. If the weather pushes them out of the mountains you might want to spend some time in the Duck Creek Basin and around Success Summit.

Also down in unit 222, Mt. Grafon, near the Lincoln/ White Pine county line is a good spot as well. Good access/camping on the East side, but again once you get up a ways it is Wilderness area.

I hunted the units for ten years and took nice deer when drawn. Never pulled the bull tag but I saw a LOT of nice big bulls around the Duck Creek drainage. I saw one really nice bull at about 8000 feet and 2 miles in. I live in WA now and probably won't hunt the area again until I draw the bull tag. I can give you more specifics on areas to look at as well as logistics of the areas (camping, etc.) if you want.

Myself and 2 buddies just drew tags in unit 11 and we are headed into the preserve in 111......first time there. About how far up the mountains in that range (miles ?) would you assume to walk and/or camp (which I prefer to do during the season) where there will be a good shot at some great bucks?
I have a friend who is the tin man (he may very well be) and doesn't want to walk too far in the preserve.....
Any ideas?

Not to cap your thread, but I got early deer in 22 (221, 222, 223) and late cow elk 23 (231) this year.
I've got a trail built Jeep, a 2wd Ram 1500 and a little Kawasaki 250 Quad, but no horse or pack animals. I've never hunted these areas, but understand that there are a lot of new "wilderness" area to contend with.
I've talked to the BLM biologist, and a couple guys that have hunted the areas before, but they all basically said what the NDOW info sheet said.
Anyone got suggestions for places to camp and hunt for either of these tags?

West of mt grafton 2 to 4 miles is a big montian that I saw a couple of big bucks on. There is a 4 wheel drive road not a nasty one thouh, that wrappes around to the west side of the mountian and stopes at a spring way above a highway. The whole drive was great glassing and great deer and elk country.

If you look at a map and find the name of the montian I would rember the name if you told me.

My hunt was last year it was hot and a full moon. But we saw bulls every morning and every night we hunted 6 or 7 days. We glassed way up into the wilderness. WE planned on packing way back in somewhere but we could glass practicly all the wilderness from roads. So we glssed wherever we could reach with our 15x swarovski's could reach. My dad and I saw many 290 to 305 bulls but since I killed a 320 bull last year in colorado last year I wanted something bigger. I did see a 330 and did a death march hike to kill him but I never saw him once I got up in there. We did not see a lot of deer but we were lglassing so far and I don't know if we could see deer that far away. You might find some big bucks coming off of hay fields bedding on public.So I got skunked but saw a lot of elk just not the big ones this unit is famous for.

If I can help more let me know.

Good luck Gabe

Have never hunted Elk in this unit. But hunted deer here 2010 and 2004. We hunted early season last year. It rained the first week and was difficult to get anywhere. We hunted high on Mt. Grafton and saw alot of elk. This is all wilderness so walk in or horses. During the Deer hunt the Cow Elk hunt was also going on and the Elk seemed to be moving to the high ground and to the west across Cattle Camp Wash South of Bullwack summit. Saw some huge bulls. Only bad thing is most of the big boys were pretty broke up from fighting. As far as the deer we ended up getting our bucks in the low country around cattle camp wash. The high ground was overrun with people unless you got 2 or more miles away from the roads or in the wilderness. Found a good spot for camping North of Patterson Pass on the west side of Mt. Graffton on the wilderness acsess road off of cattle camp wash. Good luck to you both. I drew the 104,108,121 bull elk. hopefully we all do well.:)

You guys are a bunch of lucky stiffs! I've got 18 bonus points and still can't draw a bull
elk tag. I signed for five different tags in two different states(Nevada and Utah) and drew nothing!
I did accompany one of my hunting buddies two years ago for elk in the same area you drew. Milk Ranch canyon and rosebud spring are known elk haunts. We camped on the mule shoe side of the valley. Finding an empty camp spot in the Patterson Pass area can be a challenge. Best of luck on your future hunt.

The elk cows and bulls feed all night in area 231 and by daylight they have either moved up into the mountains to the East or crossed the road to area 222/223. There is a fairly good dirt road that crosses area 223. It goes from the Caselton mine (Hwy 93) on the East to Hiway 318 on the west. Good luck on your hunts.
Chas

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.