Finally drew a Nevada bull tag

Chas,

I'd like to talk to you one on one and pick your brain a bit. Any suggestions on how to make contact?

Packer

Thanks to all of you that have taken the time to help me on my upcoming elk hunt, BUT, still trying to narrow things down a bit. Iv'e heard good reports and good bull #'s and quality animals from both Mt Grafton and the high Schells. If anyone out there has been fortunate enough to have drawn a late bull tag and has hunted either or both of these areas and is willing to share thier experience "pro's and con's" with me would be great.

Thanks in advance, this is a great site with awesome members

The last time I mentioned the east side of the Schell Creek Range. Well, there is a more than 30 mile loop on the west side of the mountains. It's called the success loop. It goes from Duck Creek non the north to Cave Lake on the south. Duck Creek is accessed from Hwy.93 north of McGill. There are plenty of creeks and canyons along the loop.
Chas

Thanks again Chas,

Iv'e been doing a lot of Google Earth scouting and have marked up most all the access points in the southern Schells including the success loop. Google Earth is an awesome tool and a lot better on fuel :D. I still plan on giving you a call and BS for a while, but by the time i get home from work, feed the cows and horses it's 8:30 allready and I don't want to call to late in the evening.

I still have a few months to fine tune my game plan, talk to ya soon

Well, finished up my solo late Nevada bull hunt. Had an awesome time and saw a LOT OF NICE BULLS. Preasure from other hunters and outfitters was lighter than i expected, in fact after the first week of the season i had the place to myself. Took my bull @ 630 yrds in the Piermont Creek area of the Schells. Thats when the REAL work started. Shot the bull @ 6:15 am, took some pics (taking your own pics is a real pain in the %%@!#^, but gotta do it) and got started breaking down the bull, hanging quarters, backstraps and trim, caping and cutting off the horns. Got my first load out to the truck that evening just before dark. Day two started early with pack frame loaded with quarter bags a few snacks and some water, oh i also packed a pistol in case i had to run off a kitty :D. 2,200 vertical feet and a few hours later i was at the meat tree and started baging up the quarters, shuttled all the quarters and my daypack down to the rock pile that i had shot from and then packed one load out to the truck. The third day started out much the same, exept for my you know what was sore and dragging. Made it to the quarter bags and daypack, then started shutteling the loads down the mountain. Got it all out a couple hours before dark. A real workout for a 53 year old young guy :rolleyes:.

Ive hunted solo for many years now with and without my horses and i will say that this hunt was one of the most demanding on my body. The Schell range is an awesome place to hunt elk.

Thanks again to everyone on this site that took time to share info.

2011 Nevada Elk Hunt 048.jpg

2011 Nevada Elk Hunt 056.jpg

2011 Nevada Elk Hunt 061.jpg

2011 Nevada Elk Hunt 072.jpg

Congrats on your hunt. Good pics by yourself. Say what would a bull like that score?
Thanks

I shoot a Remington model 700, 7 mm rem mag, bedded and floated. Hand loaded with 69.5 gr Retumbo toped with a 160 gr Nosler Accubond. My optics are Leupold VX-ll 4-12, 50 mm with the m1 elevation turret from their custom shop. I'm a fairly low tech western high desert hunter so I just proof out my handloads in the field and print up a drop chart in 50 yard increments, laminate it and tape it to the left side of my butt stock with camo cloth tape.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.