Colorado Elk Hunt (Salida Area)

Bitis Arietans

I am a completely "green" Elk Hunter!

Can you share your thoughts and pics? Is anyone familiar with this area in Co.?
What should a expect in terms of antler size? A 300+ Elk looks pretty impressive to me, but is that what is typical?

Is a 250 class more realistic?

I hear that the Southwest is the "hot spot" for Elk, but these hunts are typically pricey

This would be a guided hunt...Looking at $5K

The class of elk you take is usually praportional to the itch of your trigger finger. Take your time to judge the animal. If its not the one you want don't shoot and dont let your guide talk you into shooting it. Do some online searching and learn how to roughly field judge elk.
You may look around the Montrose/Grand Mesa area. Good elk herd and decent bulls. I have no experience around the Salida area. Attached is a picture of a 309" bull that my father in law took 2 years ago.

Attachments

• PART951381967014853.jpg
    PART951381967014853.jpg
    258.9 KB · Views: 423
Bitis - I live not too far from the Salida area. I'd say it is just about as good of a place to hunt elk as anywhere else in CO. "Hot Spots" in Colorado are more a function of getting into a limited draw unit that takes 1+ points to draw, or getting onto a large section of private property that isn't hunted too much. However, even over-the-counter units open to everyone have some nice bulls, you typically just have to know the area well and work a little harder.

I've got a neighbor that has taken 370 class public land bulls around Salida the last two years, in areas that take either no points or one point to draw. There are definitely 300+ bulls around, however, 250 would be more common. Most of it depends on which hunting unit you will be in, and what your guide has for property or knowledge. Success in nearby over-the-counter tag units can be 10% or lower. It goes up some in the units you have to draw for. Nevertheless, the whole point of paying a guide is so he could hopefully bump your odds up closer to 40, 50, 60% or better.

Sounds like you need to ask some of this to your guide - what unit he hunts, what his success rate is, what size bulls are typical, if it is public or private land he's taking you too etc.

No matter what, if you've never hunted elk, anything 250+ will feel huge and you'll probably really enjoy the hunt and have a good time just getting into the Rockies (enjoyment will be a little related to what where the guide is having you stay and hunt - but it should be good fun). My guess is you won't really care if it's a 250 or 300 bull, as long as you have some good hunting, see some elk and hopefully get a shot or two.

I just submitted my draw application and put in for GMU 49. I don't know how many preference points are needed to have a reasonable chance though....

Happy hunting!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.